TN: 2015 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Frank's Block Teldeschi Vineyard

2015 Once & Future Wine Zinfandel Frank’s Block Teldeschi Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Dry Creek Valley (2/20/2018)
Sappy and rich on the palate, yet well balanced by its acidity. The tannins are currently buried, so it’s a fun drink, but needs cellar time to shed a little fat, and show more than just its primary fruit. Promising. Does not remind me of the old Ravenswood Telldeschi wines in any way. Seems more like a Bedrock or Carlisle wine. That’s not a bad thing, just a thing.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice notes David. I opened one awhile back and it seemed super tannic from what I can remember. Could have been a weird bottle.

I think it’s been about a year since JP had a release? I wonder what happened?

This post and one about a 1991 Ravenswood Merlot, there must be a Once & Future release soon! I hope the 2016 Sangiacomo Carneros Merlot is in this release!! That would be fun to try with the one from 1991.

I didn’t know that there was a Once and Future Carneros Merlot in the pipeline!

Then again, Mr Peterson has worked with the Sangiacomo folks for decades, and they’ve got plenty of Carneros vines.
home+ranch+map.jpeg
Rob, do you have any other leads on the upcoming releases from O&F? :slight_smile:

Thanks David for the tasting note!!!

I have only popped the Once & Future “Oakley Road” Mataro, and I loved it.

I had similar take on these wines. I bought thinking I could recapture my fond zinberry memories of those early 90s Ravenwoods. But they are completely different animals.

Not a bad thing as you note, but honestly I was looking for something different than the Bedrock model.

They’re obviously well made wines but they just lack a certain excitement or je ne sais quoi for my palate.

We loved the on 2015 opened about six months ago - but then we did not have the memories to compare to so we just were appreciating its current state. That bottle and some Flannery steaks made for a particularly great evening. I’m being disciplined in letting my other bottles sit but have been tempted recently for sure.

I drank mine with chili.

I am curious as to the relevance of the color coding on the Sangiacomo map.

I think that these wines just need more time, or super decanting - plus food!

I had a 2012 Ravenswood “Old Hill Vineyard” in late 2014(?) at my brother’s birthday dinner. It was screaming for a few more years of age. He said it was still his favorite wine, but…Dang!

When I tasted the “Oakley Road” Mataro from Once and Future the other day, I definitely noticed that the protocol was different, even as it was also a super-youngster. I don’t know if it was because Mr Peterson uses redwood fermenters, or a different oak regimen…

Okay, Mr Joel Peterson told me about the latest release. I will also post the details on a new thread…

The upcoming release of the Once and Future 2016 vintage is scheduled for March 20, 2018.

The wines slated to be offered:

• “Oakley Road” Mataro
• “Bedrock Vineyard” Zinfandel
• “Forcini Vineyard” Zinfandel
• “Teldeschi Vineyard” Zinfandel
• “Palisades Vineyard” Petite Sirah
• “Sangiacomo Vineyard” Merlot

“2016 was a superlative vintage for my wines. Needless to say I am very happy with them.”

• Joel Peterson

The Merlot info and more release info was in a article from apparently July 2016, didn’t realize it was that long ago. 2016 Forcini, Russian River Valley, Limerick Lane Zinfandel sounds like it’s hitting all the right places too.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/lifestyle/5853860-181/winemaker-joel-petersons-passion-project?artslide=6

I’ve been excited about this Merlot since I heard about it!!

The merlot peaks my interest. I need to drink some f*cking merlot.

I think it’s ok to say that Merlot is officially cool again.

+1

I just got word from Mr Peterson that there will be a 2016 Zinfandel from the “Oakley Road Vineyard” too! :slight_smile:

YES!

Opened one of these tonight . . . WOW. Super lush and still plenty of brambly dark fruit. Perfect wine for a friday at home in the pandemic.

The Teldeschi has become my favorite Zin site. Crazy good.

Totally agree! Joel’s version of Bedrock is solid, but the Frank’s Block is where it’s at.

Granted…I have not tried the Old Hill yet :wink: