Benvenuto Brunello 2018, The New Releases, Montalcino centro

I arrived in Italy late Wednesday night, the event began the next day, and ended yesterday. Still a LOT of notes to post, but this will get things started. A very good vintage, with many 2016 Rosso di Montalcino wines stealing (at least a good part of) the show.

I think I’ve got about 200 hundred notes altogether, still entering them. Below is a link to part I, with 29 tasting notes.

2013 E. Fuligni (Cottimelli) Brunello di Montalcino
Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino
(2/17/2018)

(Benvenuto Brunello, 2018, Montalcino) Easily one of the standouts in the vintage, this classically-styled effort offers a pale brick red color; it’s luminous and clear. Aromas, even if not fully developed yet, run the range from loam/hay to cherry skin, dust, and soil. Medium-bodied, very fresh, and artfully structured, this is a wine that could be enjoyed now (with food!), but, for my palate, should be cellared for another 6-10 years for an even better showing; there’s good weight/fruit now, but this should fill out more with time, rendering this wonderfully complete. My actual note written at the event is much shorter than this, it pretty much just says WOW!, buy a case or two! Tasted three separate days/times, consistently excellent. An lovely marriage of grape/place, and vintage, with the type of structure that will please most/all collectors. No need for fancy descriptors, breathless enthusiasm, etc., this one speaks for itself, and represents the elegance and purity that Sangiovese and this region are capable of offering. 14,5% abv. (seemed more like 13,5%, fwiw), drink 2022-2042. highly recommended

2016 Gianni Brunelli Rosso di Montalcino
Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino
(2/17/2018)

(Benvenuto Brunello, 2018, Montalcino) Darker brick red>ruby. The nose reveals some grass, loam, citrus, and soil. The palate is huge, but balanced with excellent freshness, and acidity. This is more akin to a fine Brunello than a (most) Rosso wine. The finish is already quite long. If picking nits, some might say this could use even more acidity, considering the weight and depth of fruit, but I found it to be sufficient, and would easily purchase this for my own cellar. 14,5% abv (resolved), drink this now thru 2027. highly recommended

2013 Gianni Brunelli Brunello di Montalcino
(2/17/2018)

(Benvenuto Brunello, 2018, Montalcino) This is an exciting wine. The nose opens with stones, citrus, hay, and fresh cherries. The medium-bodied palate is complete, with plenty of detail and nuance. There’s already a lot of breadth here, with the depth (still developing, obviously) only a step behind. Collectors can feel confident getting behind this classic beauty. 13,5% abv., drink 2022-2041+ highly recommended

2012 Gianni Brunelli Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
(2/17/2018)

(Benvenuto Brunello, 2018, Montalcino) Noticeably darker than the 2013 Brunello, this Riserva, from a much warmer vintage, opens with red and purple flowers, ripe strawberry, pie crust, dried herbs and a touch of citrus; red apple/skin notes emerge after a few minutes in the glass. This is one of the better Riserva wines I’ve tasted so far, and one I’d gladly have in my own cellar. While the finish comes across as short(er), I think that might be due in large part to having tasted the very classic/long 2013 Brunello just before it. 13,5% abv., drink now thru 2030. recommended, with upside potential duly noted.

2013 Il Greppone Mazzi (Ruffino) Brunello di Montalcino
(2/19/2018)

(Benvenuto Brunello, 2018, Montalcino) Traditionally styled, medium body with an international texture, but traditional stuffing. Aged 3 years in 30hl-60hl Slavonian oak casks after its malolactic fermentation is complete. After, it’s moved to stainless for a few months, and finally ~ 6 months of bottle rest prior to release. Known as a value brand/wine, this delivers a good amount of classicism in this vintage. Easily recommended, though probably better to leave it rest a year or three.

more at the site:

Benvenuto Brunello 2018, Montalcino Centro, Part I – ItalianWine.blog

Thanks for the notes.