What’s In The Bottle Echezeaux or Grand Echezeaux?

[/list]

With lunch from the winelist the Meursault and we brought what we thought was 2015 Georges Noellat Echezeaux. Removing the cork it says Grand Echezeaux!

Anyone seen this before? Think it’s probably a “mislabeling” rather than a “mis-corking.” ?

You open your Echezeaux/Gds Echezeaux quite young (2015!). Was it any good?

Tough mistake, though I’d guess miscorking as you’d expect QC to be a bit stricter on the labels.

Did it taste like an average to below GC or an above average GC?

• 2012 Coche-Dury Meursault - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault
    Expressive on the nose and palate with searing citrus intensity, lime zest and superb purity and mineral precision. An excellent village with good tension and grip!

• 2015 Georges Noellat Grands-Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Grands-Echezeaux
    Profound bouquet of crisp dark fruit and elegant spice. Ample, layered palate, richly textural with velvety tannins, succulent black fruit with hints of earthiness and powerful spices on the finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

Most likely GE.

This…I’d be going back to wherever you bought that bottle and try to buy a few more in hopes that this pans out in your favor long-run.

Cork goes in before label goes on… I’d bet on GE.

couldn’t you tell from the taste? jk. Probably Grands.

I´d say it´s most probably GE … bottling is usually done in one go with the appropriate material, while labelling can be done even for one bottle seperately … bottles are stored without label first, so it´s easy to mislay a single bottle …

@ Robert: do you mean an E is most probably less good than a GE ?
That´s not necessarily the case, not even from the same producer (although at DRC it usually is)…

Isn’t it usually “Grands Echezeaux”? Label may be off, but why would the cork be misspelled?

Yes, you are absolutely right … on the label it´s Grands … (and I have no idea why …)

I also noticed the lack of an ‘s’ on the cork.

1. Go back and buy some more.
  2. Ask the winery.

Don’t know what pricing is like in your neck of the woods, but I would expect a difference of something like $100 between the two.

Dan Kravitz

Dan Kravitz

friends,

Vicomte Liger Belair told me the indications on the cork NEVER lie. it was GRANDS ECHEZEAUX

SINCERELY JOHAN

This…

The cork goes in while the hose is attached to the vessel the wine is coming from.

Ran out of Echezeaux corks. Finish the run with the GE corks…

Not to play devil’s advocate too much but what if they had bottled the Grands Echezeaux earlier in the day and someone just pulled the wrong bag of corks or a few corks remained in the cork bowl? Weird things happen all the time when it comes to packaging. Not saying it’s malfeasance but just someone not paying attention or not being clear as to what was going on. Lord, I cannot IMAGINE the amount of mistakes if we labeled all our corks with the vineyard name on it!!!

. . . although labels go on last and wine is often in bottle bins for years before labeled. Who knows?