TN: 2014 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons

Banging '14 White Burg train rolls on. One after another…

• 2014 Jean-Paul & Benoit Droin Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (2/17/2018)
    Fully Chablis. Clearish yellow. Apple and lemon and briny notes. Wound at first. Needs to warm and open a bit. Fleshes out to show cool, clear and crisp tones and a mouth drying salinity that lingers. Terrific young '14, as many '14s have been. Lovely.

Posted from CellarTracker

premox poster child. Was it screwcapped? Wouldn’t touch Droin unless.

I know, but I have strangely had good luck. I drink them young. '10s, '11s.
Cork.

I drank a lot of 2014 Droin, AOC Chablis, Vaillons, and Montmains and all were excellent. But obvs young. Fair amount of 2012s too. No premox.

The wife loves this producer so we drink a fair amount and most of that isn’t grand cru. Because of the reputation we try to drink them all within 5 years of the vintage and so far not a single POX.

I like the wines, but stopped buying. If I ran across a young vintage in a store, I’d probably give it a go since I enjoy them young. Matrot Meursault is another premox poster child, but I went through 5 or 6 bottles of recent vintages of their Meursault Les Chevalieres that were selling at a good price in a grocery store.

-Al

Thanks Michael and Brian for chiming in. Drinking them young seems key, unfortunately.
Al- now, Matrot is one I don’t mess with. Way too many bad bottles.

Al- now, Matrot is one I don’t mess with. Way too many bad bottles.

Actually, I also had much worse experience with Matrot than Droin. I would not have touched these except a couple of local wine friends who love white Burgundy were happily drinking multiple bottles they bought at JJ Buckley for around $30 a bottle. The supermarket price was a few dollars more, but I bought one to see and it was nice at the price. I occasionally bought again, but never more than one at a time and for very near term drinking.

-Al

Matrot is worse than Droin. It’s the reason their Meursault Perrieres is so cheap compared to quality producers. When you find a b that is not oxidized, it is good wine, but I won’t buy it.

This is such a fantastic wine - I’ve been through over a case and love it every time. If you can find it, the Vaulorent is even better!

My fingers are crossed on premox. I had a 2007 Droin Les Clos recently that was in perfect shape. Small sample size. I think all of the '14s are bottled under Diam. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks, Mason. I have some Valourent coming. I didn’t even pay attention to the Diam piece. Good to know.