Want to Buy Littorai BUT....

We really enjoy Littorai, but when I put my six pack in for the current offering, it ended up at around $700 total. I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger on this, considering all the other excellent Pinot at much lower prices. Paying twice for shipping on a six pack doesn’t help. (Releases in March and Sep in a single offering.)

Wrestling now with do I just bite the bullet and pull the trigger, as I have on so many other releases so far in 2018, or put the brakes on. It’s one of our favorite Pinots, but for some reason (and the reason is strictly the high price) this one is turning into the one that is making me draw the proverbial line.

Would appreciate thoughts here, and what you guys are doing. I think it’s only open through today.

As an aside, School House Pinot, for example (fabulous if you don’t know it) made so much wine in their current vintage release that they actually signficantly lowered their price!

Alex,
I am basically in the same boat. I uncorked a 2013 Savoy yesterday to see if that could help me decide…loved the wine but with only so many wine dollars to spread around, I decided to take a pass. At one time I was a “club” member but that got expensive, so I dropped off of that. Fortunately I have enough in the cellar to enjoy and that impacted my decision as well…

Cheers,
JP

1 Like

I passed on this offer. All in it’s over $100 a bottle, and I can get Chevillon 1er crus for less.

I really like the wines, but can’t do it anymore.

Sadly, I concur. I choke even more on the Chardonnay prices.

I always shipped but it chapped me to read about them charging their customers to pick up wine they had ordered and paid for!

1 Like

Hunt for them at auction. Much cheaper and pretty readily available

1 Like

Yeah good point. I’ve bought quite a few this way and with some age too.

Nearly everyone has a price limit. Trust your instincts.

I’m an annual buyer and a big fan of the quality but agree about the pricing and quirky shipping rules. The appellation Pinot pricing is more puzzling to me. Those wines were $42 five years ago, now $60.

I’m passing on this offer as well. I have 51 bottles of Littorai already, enough to enjoy over the next ten years. Not a fan of the steady price increases and shipping and I’m trying to rebalance our inventory to more European wines.

I am a fan of Littorai and I hear you.
Just recently had a bottle of 2013 Betwixt Wines Pinot Helluva Vineyard and if I closed my eyes I could have been fooled that it was a Les Larmes. Tim is a great guy and friend of the board and I wholeheartedly recommend you reach out to him and give it a try.

I do purchase my Littorai at retail in NYC when it arrives. The winery shipping is ridiculous.

Also a fan but stopped buying a few years ago. At these prices i prefer Soliste by a decent margin

There is always more wine. So if there are any doubts, I would just pass

They priced themselves right off my buying list. Too many other quality wineries offering better value.

I had to stop buying them a couple of years ago. Seems like all the Pinot I enjoy is creeping way up there in price - my tracking spreadsheet says my average cost is now just under $80 per bottle (with shipping and tax). Something else is going to have to give pretty soon. I’m trying the appellation wines from several producers this year. I like the extra complexity from a mix of vineyards and the extra cost for the single vineyard wines is not worth it to me.

This is not Littorai specific, but you raise a great question.

When I find myself looking at my shopping cart and having any dread, that’s my sign to move on.

Your hesitation to push the button is the most important indicator of all. If you don’t feel absolutely good about it don’t do it.

Exactly. It has happened to me 4 times so far this mailer season. To date I have resisted all four.

Seven hundred bucks and not even free shipping??!! [wow.gif]
What’s a few bucks to them? Not like their Amazon or Walmart, having to watch every penny.

I went in again and did have to pause before I hit the button. Great wines great people but the double shipping is kind of ridiculous.

[cheers.gif]

This. My grand unified theory of wine buying.