Vivino raises $20million (more) - or, how I'm doing it wrong...

Vivino has apparently raised another healthy chunk of venture capital, to the tune of $20million

Man, I’m doing this all wrong.

So Vivino’s product inventory comes from where? Or do they not have any inventory?

What advantage do users have of “purchasing throught their paltform”? Figuring that they probably tack on a surcharge to the wine’s price.

Its app allows people to track wines they’ve tried, scan labels, and rate and comment on the wine. Vivino then uses those reviews to build profiles and recommend wines to users.

I always found it annoying - it pops up in searches. Never actually visited the site. This is what it said: “This wine is sold by Vintage Berkeley, a California licensed retailer.
Vivino is working with Wine Retailers worldwide to get the best and most exclusive offers for our users”

So it seems like they’re doing what Amazon tried to do - hook up a bunch of different retailers. Don’t see how that makes them worth all that venture money though.

VC money brings scrutiny, pressure, and pain. I’d say you’re doing it right.

They have raised 57 million dollars to date, and their goal is to sell ONE BILLION dollars of wine by 2020.

I’ll believe that when I see it.

Who’s going to come out on top? Delectable or Vivino ?

Delectable was sold for a song (to Vinous) after losing financial viability. Antonio is doing a nice job with it, but the metrics are probably 100x in favor of Vivino.

What the hell is a Vivino?

Wonder if viaMichelin / Michelin has something similar in mind with the WA.

Yeah, what exactly are they doing? Like Cellartracker, but a purchase platform as well? Do they sell good wine?

actually, you can search by label picture with cellar tracker, which runs THROUGH Vivino.

They are providing a more user-friendly rating system, in a way like CT, but do not keep track of what they have for you. the money comes by linking you with web retailers that will then sell you a bottle if you search. they also keep running “curated” lists (they even show you a picture of the random person who curates it!). and “top sellers” lists in your area (my area is currently 1000 Stories, Meiomi, Coppola, and Elouan)

Because its more accessible and its not used to track cellar contents by those who need that kind of service, the ratings tend to be a little less experienced at times (2013 Giacosa Barolo I saw the other day gave the wine 1 star because it was “really tannic”). but its also really easy to use.

It’s also apparently the wine app of choice for NBA stars:

“Shoutout to my Vivino app,” Curry says. As Love says, “It’s like Netflix for wine.” For Blazers guard CJ McCollum? “It’s life-changing.”

Got it. Sounds interesting, actually. Thanks, Matt.

Just keep putting away that ad revenue. It adds up.

You may want to cut coupons too.

I’ll stick with CT.

You’ve got beachfront property in the Golden State. I’d say your life is doing pretty good already! [cheers.gif]

I’m a few miles from the beach, and can’t see the ocean from anywhere in my neighborhood, but I’m within 10 minutes, I think…

Having 3 jobs and a wife who is a hard-working successful professional helps.

[swoon.gif] [shock.gif]

Though we do try to do our best to replicate this for you… neener