Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I'm done*

#301 Post by Howard Cooper » October 5th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:47 am

I'll let you know, but I think the trick (for me?) is hat you don't retire from life; you retire from a job.
Agreed. Also, while I was a partner (and before that an associate) at large law firms for over 30 years, I never felt like I was a master of the universe so that not being the master of the universe anymore was not an issue.

Besides, I really enjoy not spending all day, every day in a box.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#302 Post by Howard Cooper » October 5th, 2019, 5:02 pm

Craig G wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 4:59 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 4:48 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 12:04 pm

16 bottles of 2016 and about 3 cases of 2015, all bought pre-resolution. My assisted living facility better have decanters available!
There is a real failing in assisted living facilities and nursing homes. You would think that most would have communal wine cellars where I could store my wine in temperature controlled conditions and drink it during the day and in the evenings. Having personnel trained in opening older bottles of wine and in decanting them would be an additional plus.
My mom was in a not-too-formal wine group at her facility. I don’t think there’s any reason why you can’t keep it up, health allowing. This was in independent living, but she was there until almost the end at 92.
That is neat. I have long suggested that they build retirement villages in Burgundy (on the "wrong" side of the highway where no grapes are grown) complete with golf courses, tennis courts, communal wine cellars, a tasting room, etc. Too bad nobody has done this. Help me Obi Wan Alfert. You're my only hope.
Howard

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#303 Post by Craig G » October 5th, 2019, 5:04 pm

LOL, they even have a wine picture right up front:

https://www.wakerobin.com/community-lif ... obin_5337/

* Possibly not the wine you ordered
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#304 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 5th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 11:54 am
Cracks me up that you old Geezers are buying 2015 and 2016 Bordeaux! ;)
16 bottles of 2016 and about 3 cases of 2015, all bought pre-resolution. My assisted living facility better have decanters available!
There is a real failing in assisted living facilities and nursing homes. You would think that most would have communal wine cellars where I could store my wine in temperature controlled conditions and drink it during the day and in the evenings. Having personnel trained in opening older bottles of wine and in decanting them would be an additional plus.
Actually I visited a fancy-shmancy facility in your neck of the woods that did have a communal cellar. Looked WAY too small, but it was very nice and had a nice chill on it. MEGA bucks to live there though
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#305 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 5th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Craig G wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Why would you name an assisted living facility "wake?" I mean, it is slightly better than "burial" but not much

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#306 Post by Howard Cooper » October 5th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

Actually I visited a fancy-shmancy facility in your neck of the woods that did have a communal cellar. Looked WAY too small, but it was very nice and had a nice chill on it. MEGA bucks to live there though
Where?
Howard

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#307 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 5th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:13 pm
Craig G wrote:

Why would you name an assisted living facility "wake?" I mean, it is slightly better than "burial" but not much
Right, name it Sunrise.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#308 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 5th, 2019, 7:38 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:37 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Craig G wrote:

Right, name it Sunrise.
Then again, this is the I’m done thread.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#309 Post by Craig G » October 5th, 2019, 7:40 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Craig G wrote:

New Englanders have a dry sense of humor.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#310 Post by Howard Cooper » October 5th, 2019, 7:45 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Craig G wrote:

Right, name it Sunrise.
Today, would they change the name to Woke?
Howard

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#311 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 5th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:45 pm
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

Right, name it Sunrise.
Today, would they change the name to Woke?
Not for you’re generation, you hipster. But ask the Hovnaians.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#312 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 5th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:35 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Howard Cooper wrote:

Where?
I forget the name of it. Out Potomac/Bethesda way. We went to a memorial service there for one on my partners' mother

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#313 Post by Alan Rath » October 5th, 2019, 8:11 pm

Patrick Stella wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm
But it really does motivate me to at least try to structure things so that I enjoy the cellar its most in my 60s, not my 80s.
Everyone is different, and there's nothing wrong with enjoying your cellar in your 60s. But I'm in my 60s, and my tastes haven't changed a bit. If anything, they are even more AFWE than ever.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#314 Post by Alan Rath » October 5th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
I can't vouch for all (or even most) assisted living places, but I recently visited my 97 year old aunt at hers. It was admittedly higher end, like a fairly nice hotel, but they had exactly what you describe: an area where residents can keep their wines for consumption during meals. No reason they can't have wines in their apartments as well. So it's definitely possible!
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#315 Post by Bryan Price » October 13th, 2019, 1:00 pm

I'm 35, so maybe I'll feel differently when I'm 65, but the thought that the only wines I'll be drinking for the next 10, 20, or even 30 years are all currently in my cellar, would seem quite boring. I know all of you will continue to explore new producers through tastings, the one-off glass at a restaurant, or maybe a friend sharing a bottle with you, but leaving some room to explore seems worthwhile.
Life's too short to drink bad wine.

Marc Frontario

#316 Post by Marc Frontario » October 14th, 2019, 1:17 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 5:54 am
In advance of the oncoming spring, I am trying to get all of my wine currently held by retailers shipped. And as the boxes pile up on the cellar floor, with no room in the racks to put them, and as I start doing age/bottles-per-week math in my head, I have decided to declare, here, publicly, that I am done buying wine.*/

I say this in part because after declaring, with great hubris, that I had bought nothing recently in the "what have you bought lately" thread, I immediately bough 6 bottles of recent vintage reds, a bdx and a burg. Why, I cannot explain. Good wine, yes, and good deals too, but seriously, this has become an autonomic reaction and not a conscious decision.

So, I am declaring here -- so that the fear of ridicule will keep me honest -- that I do not care whether someone is virtually giving away spectacular 2016 (or 17, or 18 . . .) bdx or bdx or barolo wines. This matters to me, officially, about as much as a 75% off sale on car covers for a 1966 Silver Shadow. The quality of the product may be outstanding and the price may be too low to believe, but I have no use for it. And I am declaring myself, officially, not interested.

*/ I suspect I will continue to be an easy mark for well-aged, reasonably priced reds. And it is conceivable that my currently-overflowing stock of champagne could require replenishing. But buying young red wines at this juncture is just not sane.

I got $20 that he crumbles...I'm giving him 6mos.tops...who wants some action?
Find something you love....and let it kill u....Charles Bukowski
I cannot escape the ravages of this man....R.Alfert

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#317 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 14th, 2019, 4:07 am

Marc -

The arsenal lawyers have for change are limitless:

Caveats. Amendments. Codicils. Change Orders. Modifications. Addenda. Exceptions. Exclusions. Clarifications. Qualifications. Reservations. Novation. Rescission. Reformation.

We cannot be locked down.

And in this context, Neal is on a foolish errand. Whatever will be, will be.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#318 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 14th, 2019, 4:10 am

Marc Frontario wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 1:17 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
In advance of the oncoming spring, I am trying to get all of my wine currently held by retailers shipped. And as the boxes pile up on the cellar floor, with no room in the racks to put them, and as I start doing age/bottles-per-week math in my head, I have decided to declare, here, publicly, that I am done buying wine.*/

I say this in part because after declaring, with great hubris, that I had bought nothing recently in the "what have you bought lately" thread, I immediately bough 6 bottles of recent vintage reds, a bdx and a burg. Why, I cannot explain. Good wine, yes, and good deals too, but seriously, this has become an autonomic reaction and not a conscious decision.

So, I am declaring here -- so that the fear of ridicule will keep me honest -- that I do not care whether someone is virtually giving away spectacular 2016 (or 17, or 18 . . .) bdx or bdx or barolo wines. This matters to me, officially, about as much as a 75% off sale on car covers for a 1966 Silver Shadow. The quality of the product may be outstanding and the price may be too low to believe, but I have no use for it. And I am declaring myself, officially, not interested.

*/ I suspect I will continue to be an easy mark for well-aged, reasonably priced reds. And it is conceivable that my currently-overflowing stock of champagne could require replenishing. But buying young red wines at this juncture is just not sane.

LOL, did you look at the date of the post you quoted? You lost before you proposed the bet.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#319 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 14th, 2019, 4:16 am

Bryan Price wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 1:00 pm
I'm 35, so maybe I'll feel differently when I'm 65, but the thought that the only wines I'll be drinking for the next 10, 20, or even 30 years are all currently in my cellar, would seem quite boring. I know all of you will continue to explore new producers through tastings, the one-off glass at a restaurant, or maybe a friend sharing a bottle with you, but leaving some room to explore seems worthwhile.
It's even worse than you think: I don't got to tastings, ever, I can't remember the last time I bought a glass at a restaurant, and well, as Alfert will tell you, the friend thing is not happening either.

As I said upstream, the embargo is on recent-vintage reds. Over the last 20 months or so, I have bought maybe 2-3 cases worth of old-ass wine, another several of cases of .375s (which were exempted as I said, although I think I am pretty much where I need to be on those now), and quite a few bottles of champagne. So I am not on a starvation diet.

But I can only recall a couple of times being even remotely tempted to buy something foolish like 2018 bdx, and I have not succumbed. Not all that hard; I just have to remember that just because a wine is a "deal" doesn't mean it is a deal for me.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#320 Post by Howard Cooper » October 14th, 2019, 6:34 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 4:07 am
Marc -

Caveats. Amendments. Codicils. Change Orders. Modifications. Addenda. Exceptions. Exclusions. Clarifications. Qualifications. Reservations. Novation. Rescission. Reformation.

There is another reason for change - Neal (and yes you Robert) could still get the Burg Bug (is this like bed bugs?) and have it totally interrupt your well laid plans.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#321 Post by Howard Cooper » October 14th, 2019, 6:42 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 4:16 am
Bryan Price wrote:
It's even worse than you think: I don't got to tastings, ever, I can't remember the last time I bought a glass at a restaurant, and well, as Alfert will tell you, the friend thing is not happening either.

As I said upstream, the embargo is on recent-vintage reds. Over the last 20 months or so, I have bought maybe 2-3 cases worth of old-ass wine, another several of cases of .375s (which were exempted as I said, although I think I am pretty much where I need to be on those now), and quite a few bottles of champagne. So I am not on a starvation diet.

But I can only recall a couple of times being even remotely tempted to buy something foolish like 2018 bdx, and I have not succumbed. Not all that hard; I just have to remember that just because a wine is a "deal" doesn't mean it is a deal for me.
Yes. While my total purchases of wine this year are way done this year, my purchases of Champagne are way up. When I look at the wines I have bought that have not been delivered yet, the name Taittinger CDC keeps popping up.
Howard

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#322 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 14th, 2019, 8:06 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 6:34 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 4:07 am
Marc -

There is another reason for change - Neal (and yes you Robert) could still get the Burg Bug (is this like bed bugs?) and have it totally interrupt your well laid plans.
Just a WAG, but I suspect my cellar and yours are pretty similar, with the burg/bdx ratio reversed. Bdx by far the largest share of the cellar, red burgs probably 2d, with various Italian wines (grouped together) close behind. Champagne may actually be 2d overall at this point -- I have never counted and have no intention of doing so.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#323 Post by Howard Cooper » October 14th, 2019, 8:43 am

Actually, German wines are my #2 and I have a lot more California wines (most being from Ridge, Montelena and Stony Hill) than Italian wines
Howard

Marc Frontario

#324 Post by Marc Frontario » October 14th, 2019, 10:33 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 4:10 am
Marc Frontario wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 1:17 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:

LOL, did you look at the date of the post you quoted? You lost before you proposed the bet.
Your saying u have not crumbled since then??
Lol..ok fine, what address do I send the check to?
U can use the $20 for a bottle of '16 Lanessan [wink.gif]

g.colangelo

#325 Post by g.colangelo » October 14th, 2019, 12:06 pm

Bryan Price wrote:
Why boring? Building a cellar over many years means to be able to enjoy wines at their best, when their time comes. Such an experience is not a repetition of anything you had before (assuming your cellar does not consist of many bottles of only a few wines) and cannot be replaced by buying the same wine (same vintage) now, other than at a significantly higher cost. Buying young wines for drinking now is certainly enjoyable, but not a substitute for drinking a cellar full of a nice selection of old wines.
G i l b e r t o

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#326 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 14th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Marc Frontario wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 10:33 am
Your saying u have not crumbled since then??
Lol..ok fine, what address do I send the check to?
U can use the $20 for a bottle of '16 Lanessan [wink.gif]
Um, Marc, keep up. The 2016 Lanessan is DTY, or in this case, DTN. Made by Bouard. Neal has declared me right in my declaring that 2014 Lanessan - not made by Bouard - is the greatest of the last great Lanessans. A sophisticated, cultured man like Neal cannot be bothered with your recommendation here.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Marc Frontario

#327 Post by Marc Frontario » October 14th, 2019, 5:51 pm

I got that sir..but I was stating the '16 because Neal exclaimed he was done with newer vintages (specifically '16/'17/'18)!! So u missed my point...keep up Skipper!!

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#328 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » October 14th, 2019, 7:59 pm

None of you are done. Ever. One cannot resist the grape.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#329 Post by Howard Cooper » October 15th, 2019, 2:21 am

Bryan Price wrote:
Do you drink mostly young wine? That must be the case or your drinking would be a lot based on wines you bought years ago anyway. Those of us drinking wines with age very much get excited when a wine we purchased years ago is finally mature and warrants all the time we put into getting it to the state where the wine tastes like no young wine could ever taste.

Also, a lot of our older wine is from producer’s whose wines were reasonably priced when we bought them but are extremely expensive today. Great being able to drink these classics. You know, like 1990 first growths for $60 or so, Truchot grand crus for $50-90, 1985 Chateau Montelena Cab for $20, etc.

With some notable exceptions, the best wines I have had are from classic producers, not the latest flavor of the day.
Howard

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#330 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 15th, 2019, 3:52 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 2:21 am
Bryan Price wrote:
Do you drink mostly young wine? That must be the case or your drinking would be a lot based on wines you bought years ago anyway. Those of us drinking wines with age very much get excited when a wine we purchased years ago is finally mature and warrants all the time we put into getting it to the state where the wine tastes like no young wine could ever taste.

Also, a lot of our older wine is from producer’s whose wines were reasonably priced when we bought them but are extremely expensive today. Great being able to drink these classics. You know, like 1990 first growths for $60 or so, Truchot grand crus for $50-90, 1985 Chateau Montelena Cab for $20, etc.

With some notable exceptions, the best wines I have had are from classic producers, not the latest flavor of the day.
And add to that, wines that are no longer made, or whose winemaker that made the signature style you enjoyed, is no longer with that winery. For the first point, think Gentaz, Verset, Juge, etc. For the second point, you could name a whole fleet of wine. Or great wines that are no longer great because guys like Rolland took over. It’s not just the thrill of drinking something that you nurtured for maturity, but also the coolness of having access to something that is no longer market accessible (within reason), for a variety of reasons.

And to your point, as I always say, classic never ever goes out of style.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#331 Post by Bryan Price » October 15th, 2019, 8:40 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 4:16 am
Bryan Price wrote:

Makes sense, carry on!

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#332 Post by Bryan Price » October 15th, 2019, 8:41 am

g.colangelo wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 12:06 pm
Bryan Price wrote:
Why boring? Building a cellar over many years means to be able to enjoy wines at their best, when their time comes. Such an experience is not a repetition of anything you had before (assuming your cellar does not consist of many bottles of only a few wines) and cannot be replaced by buying the same wine (same vintage) now, other than at a significantly higher cost. Buying young wines for drinking now is certainly enjoyable, but not a substitute for drinking a cellar full of a nice selection of old wines.
Oh for sure, there is deep joy from cultivating a collection. I do the same thing with books, movies and music.

Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member

#333 Post by Bryan Price » October 15th, 2019, 8:46 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 3:52 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 2:21 am
Bryan Price wrote:

And add to that, wines that are no longer made, or whose winemaker that made the signature style you enjoyed, is no longer with that winery. For the first point, think Gentaz, Verset, Juge, etc. For the second point, you could name a whole fleet of wine. Or great wines that are no longer great because guys like Rolland took over. It’s not just the thrill of drinking something that you nurtured for maturity, but also the coolness of having access to something that is no longer market accessible (within reason), for a variety of reasons.

And to your point, as I always say, classic never ever goes out of style.
The oldest wine I drink semi-regularly would be from the mid 2000s, and am very much excited to get into older wines. At this point in my life with 529 plans, 401ks, and a mortgage, and I'm not at the point where I can have a huge inventory and play the aging game, especially since I haven't identified enough producers whose wine I enjoy with age. With that said, I've been eyeing converting the "butler" pantry into a cellar in a few years to expand from ~400 to 1-2k bottle storage, and assume I will in fact go completely off the rails buying wine at that point.

Thread drift: For those of you who got into French wine, how did you go about it? Is it even worth it now that global prices on Burgundy and Bordeaux have outpaced my own personal marginal utility (~$100 per bottle). I drink mostly wine from California, Oregon and Washington since those are the regions where I have been able to taste at the wineries.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#334 Post by Howard Cooper » October 15th, 2019, 1:23 pm

I started learning about wine from my father in the 1970s from my father and it was mostly Bordeaux, Burgundy and German wines I had first. It was the late 1970s before I had California wines and the first ones were BV Private Reserve and Inglenook Cask.

When I started buying wines on my own in the early 1980s, prices were extremely cheap, totally unlike the overheated market for wine today. So, people of my generation could experiment and learn.

The one strange think about your post is the notion that California wines are cheaper than European wines. I really do not find that to be the case - for me, there are fewer bargains (even relative bargains) today in California wines than in European wines. I think it is easiest to find bargains in what one has learned about and knows best. Probably the best way to learn something about Burgundy is to go to the Paulee grand tastings, one a year in NY city then the next generally in SF. However, I find it even more fun to visit Burgundy.
Howard

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#335 Post by alan weinberg » October 15th, 2019, 6:15 pm

what Howard said. I started in the mid 80s when not only was wine cheap but also you could buy a bottle, taste it a week or two later, and go back to the store to get more. No back room deals or one bottle only. But even today there are bargains and good values—for burgs, look at St. Aubin, Marsannay, the Mâcon, even Chablis, other areas also (Jura . . .) There’s still good value in France, even better in Spain and Portugal. Taste.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#336 Post by Frank Murray III » October 15th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Neal....7 pages of posts? Dude!

And, you're not done until you get your ass out to Southern Cal and drink some Champagne with us. Then, only then, you can be done. [worship.gif]
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut

My best wines for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut

Kindness matters.

YLee

#337 Post by YLee » October 15th, 2019, 7:01 pm

I'm done as well.. For tonight.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#338 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 12th, 2020, 7:35 am

So, my kinda-sorta embargo on recent vintage reds led to a kinda-sorta embargo on all new purchases (except Champagne and certain halves), and now I have implemented The Great Offer List PurgeTM. When my work email address went dark on retirement, so did my status on mailing lists for WAY too many retailers. I edited my account info on a couple to add a new address but for the most part I waved goodbye to those pesky "buy me now" emails.

Boy, has it made a difference. The only way I am really tempted to buy now is by coming here, and for the most part by the time I see the posts here, I would be too late even if I succumbed. So this is working out pretty pretty well for me.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#339 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » February 12th, 2020, 7:48 am

THIS IS THE INFLUENCE OF BUY BERSERKERS, I MEAN WINE BERSERKERS.

And this is the influence of everything else. [wink.gif]

PCLIN

#340 Post by PCLIN » February 12th, 2020, 8:09 am

Let’s see how long it will take before Neal buy more wines? [stirthepothal.gif]

Maybe 3 days?
Chiu Lin

Shay h arnoy

#341 Post by Shay h arnoy » February 12th, 2020, 8:10 am

Mattstolz wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 6:29 am
proposal:

Continue researching for deals, because we all know thats gonna keep happening anyways, because thats half of the fun part about why this is such a fun passion, but when you see deals, pass em along to those of us with budding collections and cellar time. when yall are still drinking way longer than your math assumes you will and these bottles are mature, we'll share them with you as if they were your own.
Pass the deals to me! 37 and cellar has more room!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#342 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 12th, 2020, 8:18 am

PCLIN wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 8:09 am
Let’s see how long it will take before Neal buy more wines? [stirthepothal.gif]

Maybe 3 days?
My last non-champagne/non-375 purchase was a single bottle of aged bdx in early November

PCLIN

#343 Post by PCLIN » February 12th, 2020, 9:09 am

Well done.

I restrain from buying anything since 12/19 but picked up some allocations of ‘18 Northern Rhône and Burgundy this week,
Chiu Lin

robert creth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#344 Post by robert creth » February 12th, 2020, 9:35 am

I am in the same place as Neal in that I am buying only sparkling, and some 375s as a plan. Virage half bottles was my only Berserker day purchase. I simply have too much wine. My goal this year is to drink down half of my stock. If something strikes my fancy, I will buy a bottle but no more case purchases and no lists at all. Love reading about others experience with some great new or newly discovered prize but I no longer need to chase them down myself. After 20 years into a 5 year wine education, it is time to take a break.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#345 Post by Anton D » February 12th, 2020, 9:36 am

I'm thinking Neal's idea of being done is similar to Cher's final show...or the KISS farewell tour.

[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#346 Post by Howard Cooper » February 12th, 2020, 11:04 am

Neal, now that your firm’s fiscal year is over (I think you said end of January), are you retired yet?
Howard

Sarah Kirschbaum

#347 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 12th, 2020, 11:33 am

It's really, really hard to be done. Our buying is way down, but even knowing that there's barely any space left in the cellar (okay, there is, but Jonathan doesn't want to start stacking cases in front of racks) and that we have more wine than we're likely to consume in this lifetime, I still give in to the urge from time to time. He does, too. Sigh.

JDavisRoby
GCC Member
GCC Member

#348 Post by JDavisRoby » February 12th, 2020, 12:01 pm

I can’t imagine having two wine buyers in the house. Having two drinkers is expensive enough!
Joshu@

Sarah Kirschbaum

#349 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » February 12th, 2020, 12:45 pm

JDavisRoby wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 12:01 pm
I can’t imagine having two wine buyers in the house. Having two drinkers is expensive enough!
That is indeed a danger, though we try to discuss purchases before we make them. Doesn't always happen, and surprises appear in CT.

The upside is that we each arrived to the marriage with a 15 (in my case) to 25 (in his) year collection. :)

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#350 Post by Jud Reis » February 12th, 2020, 2:15 pm

You also have to admit that buying is a significant part of the fun. Not as much fun as the drinking, but there is a lot of satisfaction in it.

Return to “Wine Talk”