Re: I'm done*

#251 Post by Craig G » October 7th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 6:57 pm
David Glasser wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 3:16 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 12:04 pm

16 bottles of 2016 and about 3 cases of 2015, all bought pre-resolution. My assisted living facility better have decanters available!
3 cases 2015.
2 cases 2016.

I buy Bordeaux.
I like Bordeaux.
I drink Bordeaux.
I buy Bordeaux.
Sometimes I buy too much Bordeaux.
But I’ve never bought so much Bordeaux that I’ve passed out.

Ridiculous, I know.
I’m really done now.
Promise.
Time for cross examination?

Does your wife like Bordeaux?
Have you ever bought Bordeaux against her will?
Have you ever forced her to buy Bordeaux?
No means yes.
Yes means Haut Brion.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Karl F

#252 Post by Karl F » October 7th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 11:05 am
Progress report:

I just completed building and filled another ~150 bottles worth of racking, and I still have boxes of wine on the floor for which I have no room, and many cases of wine coming in a few weeks as weather cools. Sigh.

On the one hand, I am even more confident that I have the cellar I need as I enter retirement, and am only disappointed I did not turn off the spigot on recent vintage reds earlier. On the other . . . I have too much wine, and as it happens, too much wine I am no longer excited to drink. Some of it is marketable and I suppose it means I am going to be selling off some wine for the first time. Some of it (mostly inexpensive right bank bdx) would hardly be worth shipping to a seller.

Oh, and apparently I bought 4 bottles of RMP highly-rated 2007 CdP. And I don't even like sushi! No idea how this happened.
Neal.....I'll be right over to help you with those excess bottles.

[cheers.gif]

Where do you live again?
Karl F.

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#253 Post by Tom Reddick » October 7th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Karl K wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 5:34 am
I buy wines on release but I buy just as much wine at auction, as in some cases I wasn’t around when the wines were made and in other cases I wasn’t in position to buy them new.

This is only possible because people who originally bought the wine did not drink it.

So thank you to everyone who has bought more wine than they will drink.

I fully put myself in this camp, too: I know
there are wines in my collection which I will never drink. I just can’t tell you right now which ones they are.

I see myself as a link in a chain of collectors.

Tom, what are your non-wine primary hobbies?
Orchids, bromeliads, paperweights and antique textiles (latter gets into business side too.) None as expensive as wine, but demanding nonetheless.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Karl K

#254 Post by Karl K » October 7th, 2018, 10:08 pm

Interesting!
K a z a k s

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#255 Post by Nola Palomar » October 8th, 2018, 8:04 am

I've got plenty of storage space. I'm happy to store whatever you don't have room for, that way you can continue to buy...

terms of storage: In lieu of rent, I am free to open and drink whatever I want
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#256 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm

Reporting in as we come up on the two year mark.

On the one hand, I am happy to say I have pretty much stuck to my guns here. As indicated in the OP and subsequent posts, my target was to eliminate all purchasing of recent-vintage ageable reds, and I have come pretty close to accomplishing exactly that. Purchases are WAY WAY down overall. The only qualifier is what, exactly, "recent vintage" means, and I have succumbed to a few bottles of 2014 bdx here and there. A case or two, no more, all told since the declaration though. I have also allowed myself to but a fair number of 375s of "weekday wines (as allowed in a codicil added somewhere in this thread) as I lacked the judgment and foresight to see how they'd come in handy.

On the other hand, my consumption game has been weak (as I have shown in Maureen's "monthly consumption" thread), and the consequences of the damage I did before the declaration is still flowing in. I just checked what is going to be arriving next month and it is sobering. But the good thing is I have the wine to fix that sobering impact.

Off we go, into retirement!
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#257 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm

Neal, what is your actual retirement date, and if you don’t mind, your age. I’m calibrating here, learning from my esteemed elders, you and Howard! And congrats. You guys are clearly more balanced and disciplined than me.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#258 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 3rd, 2019, 1:56 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 1:30 pm
Neal, what is your actual retirement date, and if you don’t mind, your age. I’m calibrating here, learning from my esteemed elders, you and Howard! And congrats. You guys are clearly more balanced and disciplined than me.
120 days from today. 63.

NoahR
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by NoahR » October 3rd, 2019, 2:06 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 1:56 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Whenever you’re ready, come out and drink some bottles with us! Hanging around younguns makes you feel younger. And also helps solve that oversupply problem you have.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#260 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 3rd, 2019, 2:11 pm

NoahR wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 2:06 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Whenever you’re ready, come out and drink some bottles with us! Hanging around younguns makes you feel younger. And also helps solve that oversupply problem you have.
Hanging out with youngun's just makes you feel old by comparison!

But yeah, that will probably happen

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#261 Post by Greg K » October 3rd, 2019, 2:34 pm

Congrats Neal - now's the time to enjoy all that old Bordeaux :)
Greg Kahn

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#262 Post by David K o l i n » October 3rd, 2019, 2:35 pm

Waiting for you on the other side, Neal

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#263 Post by Gus Siokis » October 3rd, 2019, 7:05 pm

Neal...I look forward to seeing you at a VCU game this season.
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

JonathanG

#264 Post by JonathanG » October 3rd, 2019, 9:32 pm

Tom Reddick wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 9:35 pm
David Glasser wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 3:47 pm
This and the retirement thread in Asylum go hand in hand.
We need a Monte Carlo simulation for cellaring Bordeaux.
If I (and my palate) outlive my cellar I’ll have to buy aged Bordeaux at auction.
Assuming I haven’t outlived my money.
With this I agree: Who the heck knows?
I have enjoyed this thread now that I, having just turned 45, am about to put the brakes on pretty hard when it comes to buying new vintages once the 2016 burgs and 2017 Germans get here. It is especially easy for me because at that point I will have a lifetime supply based on my drinking habits.
This frightens me since I just turned 45 and i just started stockpiling wine (1000 2018 BDX plus a lot of older at auction) and don't intend to stop for at least 10 years.... Maybe I need to go back and revisit my drinking window spreadsheet!
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by Jeremy C » October 3rd, 2019, 9:51 pm

JonathanG wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:32 pm
Tom Reddick wrote:
David Glasser wrote:
If I (and my palate) outlive my cellar I’ll have to buy aged Bordeaux at auction.
I have enjoyed this thread now that I, having just turned 45, am about to put the brakes on pretty hard when it comes to buying new vintages once the 2016 burgs and 2017 Germans get here. It is especially easy for me because at that point I will have a lifetime supply based on my drinking habits.
This frightens me since I just turned 45 and i just started stockpiling wine (1000 2018 BDX plus a lot of older at auction) and don't intend to stop for at least 10 years.... Maybe I need to go back and revisit my drinking window spreadsheet!
Pshaw. I’m the same age. And I’m not stopping my pursuit. As has been stated numerous times, it’s not just the consumption that drives us, but the pursuit of finding quality juice as well. Also, some of us are blessed with spouses who enjoy sharing the bottle most nights*, so some of us get to consume more than others.

*Other than drinking “dirt,” as she says
Cuth.bert.son

e chin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#266 Post by e chin » October 3rd, 2019, 11:04 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
If the opportunity presents itself and by chance you are in SF for any reason, I'd love to open a bottle or 2 with you. [cheers.gif]
Ed

“if you're comfortable with your passions and opinions, you shouldn't feel the need to convince other people that they're wrong” Tim Fish

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#267 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 4th, 2019, 4:03 am

Thanks Ed; that would be great! And yes, Gus, I'll be at the Black and Gold game (next weekend!) for the ~40th time. I'll be the one in black and gold! Go Rams!

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#268 Post by Howard Cooper » October 4th, 2019, 4:25 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Congratulations Neal. I hope that you enjoy retirement as much as I do. Once you retire, we will have to message Robert everyday to make him jealous - not sure it will work as he seems to really enjoy the practice of law.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#269 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 4th, 2019, 4:29 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:25 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Congratulations Neal. I hope that you enjoy retirement as much as I do. Once you retire, we will have to message Robert everyday to make him jealous - not sure it will work as he seems to really enjoy the practice of law.
Thanks Howard. I love the practice of law too, just not the business of law. I've still got some pro bono projects I'll continue to work. But I am all in for harassing Alfert.

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#270 Post by Howard Cooper » October 4th, 2019, 4:32 am

David Glasser wrote:
I view my wine cellar as another retirement "asset". Since I have a well stocked wine cellar and don't need to buy as much wine as I used to buy, my living expenses are reduced and so I need slightly less in the way of investment assets. Similarly, because I have paid off my mortgage, I need less in the way of investment assets to maintain my standard of living and so am less at the mercy of the stock market, interest rates, etc. As another way to cut future monthly expenses, we have just installed solar panels. They things certainly do not mean I do not spend any money now, far from it, but I am hoping that in times of bear markets these things (plus my investment strategies) will mean that I do not have to sell stock when the market is down.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#271 Post by Howard Cooper » October 4th, 2019, 4:33 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:29 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:25 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:

120 days from today. 63.
Thanks Howard. I love the practice of law too, just not the business of law. I've still got some pro bono projects I'll continue to work. But I am all in for harassing Alfert.
Yes. I enjoyed my years of practicing law, but as I got older I was happy to walk away from it for several reasons.
Howard

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#272 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 4th, 2019, 4:41 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:32 am
David Glasser wrote:
I view my wine cellar as another retirement "asset". Since I have a well stocked wine cellar and don't need to buy as much wine as I used to buy, my living expenses are reduced and so I need slightly less in the way of investment assets. Similarly, because I have paid off my mortgage, I need less in the way of investment assets to maintain my standard of living and so am less at the mercy of the stock market, interest rates, etc. As another way to cut future monthly expenses, we have just installed solar panels. They things certainly do not mean I do not spend any money now, far from it, but I am hoping that in times of bear markets these things (plus my investment strategies) will mean that I do not have to sell stock when the market is down.
Smart. Or at least I am going to claim its smart bc it is pretty much what I am doing. [cheers.gif]

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#273 Post by David Glasser » October 4th, 2019, 4:48 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:41 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
David Glasser wrote:
Smart. Or at least I am going to claim its smart bc it is pretty much what I am doing. [cheers.gif]
Same here, except for the solar panels. Not currently allowed in our downsized home.

Gus Siokis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#274 Post by Gus Siokis » October 4th, 2019, 4:57 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:03 am
Thanks Ed; that would be great! And yes, Gus, I'll be at the Black and Gold game (next weekend!) for the ~40th time. I'll be the one in black and gold! Go Rams!
Awesome! Again, congrats! I will let you know the next time I am up. I usually sit with my cousin who has great seats on the floor. Would love to meet in person.

Gus
CT: gsiokis
Instagram: GiantDolphan

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#275 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 4th, 2019, 5:25 am

Gus Siokis wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:57 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:03 am
Awesome! Again, congrats! I will let you know the next time I am up. I usually sit with my cousin who has great seats on the floor. Would love to meet in person.

Gus
Definitely!

Tom DeBiase
GCC Member
GCC Member

#276 Post by Tom DeBiase » October 4th, 2019, 6:15 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Congrats Neal, close to 7 years retired for me and it has been wonderful. My wife swore I would be back working within 6 months but have proved her wrong. For me putting in 110% for 38+ years actually made retirement easier. Nothing left work wise to accomplish. Of course retiring in a beautiful area of Ca. Wine Country has helped :)

Tom

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#277 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 4th, 2019, 6:26 am

Retirement party in DC?

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#278 Post by Jay $$ Winton » October 4th, 2019, 6:49 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 6:26 am
Retirement party in DC?
Mr Acronym would be interested.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#279 Post by J a y H a c k » October 4th, 2019, 7:38 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 6:26 am
Retirement party in DC?
I think we should throw him a party in DC and celebrate that there is one less competitor [both lawyer and wine buyer]. You can bring that swill you drink and I can bring the rocket fuel I drink and we can bled it together for the accountants who like averages.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Jonathan Loesberg

#280 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » October 4th, 2019, 7:55 am

I've been retired in DC for over 4 years now. I'm available for any party. I even have wine that's not CdP to conribute.

Jeff_M.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#281 Post by Jeff_M. » October 4th, 2019, 8:22 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm
Reporting in as we come up on the two year mark.

On the one hand, I am happy to say I have pretty much stuck to my guns here. As indicated in the OP and subsequent posts, my target was to eliminate all purchasing of recent-vintage ageable reds, and I have come pretty close to accomplishing exactly that. Purchases are WAY WAY down overall. The only qualifier is what, exactly, "recent vintage" means, and I have succumbed to a few bottles of 2014 bdx here and there. A case or two, no more, all told since the declaration though. I have also allowed myself to but a fair number of 375s of "weekday wines (as allowed in a codicil added somewhere in this thread) as I lacked the judgment and foresight to see how they'd come in handy.

On the other hand, my consumption game has been weak (as I have shown in Maureen's "monthly consumption" thread), and the consequences of the damage I did before the declaration is still flowing in. I just checked what is going to be arriving next month and it is sobering. But the good thing is I have the wine to fix that sobering impact.

Off we go, into retirement!
Enjoy the upcoming retirement. I am sure it is well earned and I bet those drinking get together's are going to be EPIC!
Jeff M 0 l l

2020 WOTY Candidates
2007 Yangarra Estate High Sands Grenache
1986 Spottswoode Cabernet
2012 Hartford Court Arrendell Vineyard Pinot Noir

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#282 Post by Howard Cooper » October 4th, 2019, 12:49 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:41 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
David Glasser wrote:
Isn’t that the definition of smart -someone who agrees with me
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#283 Post by Howard Cooper » October 4th, 2019, 12:51 pm

Tom DeBiase wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 6:15 am
For me putting in 110% for 38+ years actually made retirement easier. Nothing left work wise to accomplish.

Tom
Feel exactly the same way
Howard

aaronfullen

#284 Post by aaronfullen » October 4th, 2019, 1:12 pm

JonathanG wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:32 pm
Tom Reddick wrote:
David Glasser wrote:
One could argue that if you've got a spreadsheet about wine, you're doing it wrong. Kinda like dancing about architecture.

-af

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#285 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 4th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Jonathan - You bought 1000 bottles of 2018 Bdx?!? Wow. Balla.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Dave McIsaac
BerserkerDay Champion
BerserkerDay Champion

#286 Post by Dave McIsaac » October 4th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Just think, you will finally have some free time to post on these boards [cheers.gif]
You're the man Dave! I think i speak for all of us when i say that..😎 - John Cabot, BDXI

Jonathan Loesberg

#287 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » October 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 1:17 pm
I'm missing the joke. What did I say that could be construed to mean that. Although I do have some bordeaux that might be welcome, mostly after the Southern Rhone, my wine is from the Northern Rhone, the Loire and Italy.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#288 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 4th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
I'm missing the joke. What did I say that could be construed to mean that. Although I do have some bordeaux that might be welcome, mostly after the Southern Rhone, my wine is from the Northern Rhone, the Loire and Italy.
That joke is, you are not JonathanG. Scroll up to his post! [cheers.gif]

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#289 Post by Craig G » October 4th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
LOL, that struck me too. A big year for me in Bordeaux was five cases.

To put it in perspective, you could buy a really nice 1000 bottles for the price of a Tesla, or an incredible 1000 bottles for the price of a Ferrari. Not something I could do but there are many people who can. My personal 2018 purchases were more the cost of a bike that I wouldn’t care to ride!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Jonathan Loesberg

#290 Post by Jonathan Loesberg » October 5th, 2019, 6:47 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 2:13 pm
Jonathan Loesberg wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 1:55 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
That joke is, you are not JonathanG. Scroll up to his post! [cheers.gif]
Everybody who's anybody knows that I am the only Jonathan in the world. Accept no imitations!

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#291 Post by M.Kaplan » October 5th, 2019, 8:00 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Neal, I wish you a happy next phase. Many of my friends and colleagues who were big law lifers haven’t had an easy transition from being Masters of the Universe to retired guys. My only advice to you is to cut all of your ties in half and give away all of your suits except the one you will wear to the funerals of your former partners.
---Mark

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#292 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 5th, 2019, 8:03 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:00 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Neal, I wish you a happy next phase. Many of my friends and colleagues who were big law lifers haven’t had an easy transition from being Masters of the Universe to retired guys. My only advice to you is to cut all of your ties in half and give away all of your suits except the one you will wear to the funerals of your former partners.
Excellent advice! Time to visit the thrift store/Goodwill

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#293 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 5th, 2019, 8:09 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
Yea looking ahead, I’m just not sure how it is done, and really looking forward to continuing to hear about how my peers like Neal and Howard do this (please post it on the retirement thread in Asylum!). Of course it’s not the only profession like this, but you are so hard-wired to go at 100% at all times and work fairly hard hours. You are selling time, basically. Shoot, I have already billed a few today and intend to work some tomorrow. I personally do not know how you just shut it down completely. I’ve been at it, and at my same large firm, for 27 years now, I’m 53. I’ve had a couple more senior partners walk away like Howard and Neal, but most seem to wind it down over time. I have a few partners in my office that are over 70 and still bring huge value to my firm and me personally. I fact, I made a pitch to a Fortune 100 about 2 weeks ago, and specifically brought the oldest partner with me, he’s a total ringer for business generation and is so on his game. I’m guessing that will be me (the work part, not suggesting I will still be on any “game” then), but will admit that it’s harder to maintain such imbalance on a healthy plane. I should have been cycling this morning. Wife is playing tennis.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Claus Jeppesen

#294 Post by Claus Jeppesen » October 5th, 2019, 8:22 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
120 days from today. 63.
I thought retirement was after the 70th b day
Claus

Riesling and Slate

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#295 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 5th, 2019, 8:47 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 8:09 am
M.Kaplan wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

120 days from today. 63.
Yea looking ahead, I’m just not sure how it is done, and really looking forward to continuing to hear about how my peers like Neal and Howard do this (please post it on the retirement thread in Asylum!). Of course it’s not the only profession like this, but you are so hard-wired to go at 100% at all times and work fairly hard hours. You are selling time, basically. Shoot, I have already billed a few today and intend to work some tomorrow. I personally do not know how you just shut it down completely. I’ve been at it, and at my same large firm, for 27 years now, I’m 53. I’ve had a couple more senior partners walk away like Howard and Neal, but most seem to wind it down over time. I have a few partners in my office that are over 70 and still bring huge value to my firm and me personally. I fact, I made a pitch to a Fortune 100 about 2 weeks ago, and specifically brought the oldest partner with me, he’s a total ringer for business generation and is so on his game. I’m guessing that will be me (the work part, not suggesting I will still be on any “game” then), but will admit that it’s harder to maintain such imbalance on a healthy plane. I should have been cycling this morning. Wife is playing tennis.
I'll let you know, but I think the trick (for me?) is hat you don't retire from life; you retire from a job. I fully plan to keep my license and do pro bono work, I'll be doing campaign work next year, and I have been wanting to take some classes for ages I will now have a chance to take.

I don't golf, like Howard, but I intend to find ways to keep myself engaged

Patrick Stella

#296 Post by Patrick Stella » October 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
February 14th, 2018, 10:31 am
David Cooper wrote:
CJ Beazley wrote: I was reluctant to post this but, my FIL has always had an old world palette and we’ve enjoyed many great older bdx. But begining in his late 70’s he really starting shifting to bigger and bigger wines (Cali cabs) in an almost ‘chasing the dragon’ kind of way. Anyone else experienced this?
Robert Parker.
LOL, and my Dad.

My Dad introduced me to old world wine, and now he likes 2007 Chateauneuf de Pape and big Cali Cabs. And high octane Zins.
All the joking aside about mortality, and the inability to stop buying, and the too much wine in the cellar, this is the serious point. I have a dear friend who has recently gone through this with his dad too. Same exact thing, he says--around late 70s, his dad stopped liking all the great burgundy he'd originally introduced his son to. This is a genuinely terrifying prospect. The idea of spending so much time and money collecting wine over a lifetime, only to find that suddenly you don't like all the beautiful, well cellared, aged wines you have. Yikes. It's like a psychological wine horror story. All I can say is I hope I avoid it somehow. But it really does motivate me to at least try to structure things so that I enjoy the cellar its most in my 60s, not my 80s.
ITB -- WineCredit LLC

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#297 Post by Jeremy C » October 5th, 2019, 1:27 pm

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I don't think it would be all that horrible. I'm enjoying the process now, it's not like it is some chore for future gain. If my tastes change when I age, I'll simply sell what I no longer want and enjoy something new.
Cuth.bert.son

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#298 Post by Howard Cooper » October 5th, 2019, 4:48 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 11:54 am
Cracks me up that you old Geezers are buying 2015 and 2016 Bordeaux! ;)
16 bottles of 2016 and about 3 cases of 2015, all bought pre-resolution. My assisted living facility better have decanters available!
There is a real failing in assisted living facilities and nursing homes. You would think that most would have communal wine cellars where I could store my wine in temperature controlled conditions and drink it during the day and in the evenings. Having personnel trained in opening older bottles of wine and in decanting them would be an additional plus.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#299 Post by Howard Cooper » October 5th, 2019, 4:56 pm

Patrick Stella wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 12:31 pm

All the joking aside about mortality, and the inability to stop buying, and the too much wine in the cellar, this is the serious point. I have a dear friend who has recently gone through this with his dad too. Same exact thing, he says--around late 70s, his dad stopped liking all the great burgundy he'd originally introduced his son to. This is a genuinely terrifying prospect. The idea of spending so much time and money collecting wine over a lifetime, only to find that suddenly you don't like all the beautiful, well cellared, aged wines you have. Yikes. It's like a psychological wine horror story. All I can say is I hope I avoid it somehow. But it really does motivate me to at least try to structure things so that I enjoy the cellar its most in my 60s, not my 80s.
In the last year or two I actually have found that I am not enjoying 35-40 year old Bordeaux as much. I started a thread not too long ago trying to figure out whether it was me or the wine and did not find out anything conclusive - while I got a number of interesting comments, there were also posts by people like Levenberg who really totally misunderstood the point of the thread.

Interestingly, I have not found my interest in Burgundy diminished in any way. I still love it as much as ever if not more. German wines and white Burgs also.
Howard

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#300 Post by Craig G » October 5th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 4:48 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 11:54 am
Cracks me up that you old Geezers are buying 2015 and 2016 Bordeaux! ;)
There is a real failing in assisted living facilities and nursing homes. You would think that most would have communal wine cellars where I could store my wine in temperature controlled conditions and drink it during the day and in the evenings. Having personnel trained in opening older bottles of wine and in decanting them would be an additional plus.
My mom was in a not-too-formal wine group at her facility. I don’t think there’s any reason why you can’t keep it up, health allowing. This was in independent living, but she was there until almost the end at 92.

C. Gle@son

Return to “Wine Talk”