I'm done*

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: I'm done*

#201 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 6th, 2018, 11:05 am

Progress report:

I just completed building and filled another ~150 bottles worth of racking, and I still have boxes of wine on the floor for which I have no room, and many cases of wine coming in a few weeks as weather cools. Sigh.

On the one hand, I am even more confident that I have the cellar I need as I enter retirement, and am only disappointed I did not turn off the spigot on recent vintage reds earlier. On the other . . . I have too much wine, and as it happens, too much wine I am no longer excited to drink. Some of it is marketable and I suppose it means I am going to be selling off some wine for the first time. Some of it (mostly inexpensive right bank bdx) would hardly be worth shipping to a seller.

Oh, and apparently I bought 4 bottles of RMP highly-rated 2007 CdP. And I don't even like sushi! No idea how this happened.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#202 Post by Alan Rath » October 6th, 2018, 11:08 am

Once you open the floodgates to selling, it gets really easy. Sunken cost and all that, you won't mind getting checks for the wines you sell, regardless if at a profit or loss.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#203 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 6th, 2018, 11:14 am

Lol, Neal. Such a classic post. I think we all suffer the same frailties!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#204 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 6th, 2018, 11:20 am

I've actually been very good in keeping to the promise. At the time I wrote the OP, I had bought a few bottles of 15 bdx and burgs and nothing from Barolo since 2010(?); I haven't bought anything like that since (with the exception of a few 375 burgs).

I have continued buying reds with age, and lots of champagne. I need to extend my pledge to include them too, I suppose. WAY TOO MUCH OF EVERYTHING

DanielP
GCC Member
GCC Member

#205 Post by DanielP » October 6th, 2018, 11:25 am

Has your spending actually diminished, or just shifted to more ready to drink wines?
P@ik

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#206 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 6th, 2018, 11:37 am

DanielPaik wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 11:25 am
Has your spending actually diminished, or just shifted to more ready to drink wines?
Decreased materially, I think (although I can't say that I track it carefully), but it has not come anywhere close to zeroing out. Average bottle cost has definitely increased. Way more champagne, and esp rose champagne

This fall's shipping season is the last "major" load of recent vintage reds. Some 2015 bdx (bought before I drew a line under such purchases), Ridge Monte Bello, some 14 and 15 burgs, and a few 2013 baroli. And then we are done.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#207 Post by David Glasser » October 6th, 2018, 11:53 am

Congratulations on your resolve Neal.

I’ve been on a similar path and got rid of most of the unwanted excess about a year ago. Storage is at capacity with the wines I want and I’ve been good about passing on all the next great things. But I fell badly off the wagon when the local shop had a 35% off select wines anniversary sale last month, so I’ll need to step up consumption before the 2016 Bordeaux arrive next year.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#208 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 6th, 2018, 11:54 am

Cracks me up that you old Geezers are buying 2015 and 2016 Bordeaux! ;)

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#209 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 6th, 2018, 12:04 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 11:54 am
16 bottles of 2016 and about 3 cases of 2015, all bought pre-resolution. My assisted living facility better have decanters available!

Sarah Kirschbaum

#210 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 6th, 2018, 12:44 pm

We are in a similar place, Neal, having just decided we're fully done with new release purchases. We are mid-40s and have largely the cellar we want to have, with wine at all stages of development from fully mature to just cellared. We stopped buying Bdx with the 2000 vintage, mostly due to a change in taste, and stopped Barolo/Barbaresco with 2013. Burgundy trickled off starting around 2012, with only a few cases total after that, and I think we're now done. We'll still buy Riesling for a few more years, as it's the last great value in the wine world, in my opinion, and we have a few more champagnes we will keep buying. Other than those and a few yearly purchases of rose and one or two daily drinkers, we're done. No more impulse purchases, no more young vintages to cellar. We've agreed that some limited purchases of older bottles (say, 20+ years old) could happen if a great opportunity presents, and champagne magnums at the right price will always be allowed, partly because we have rack space left in that section. :)

I feel very good about this decision. It wasn't hard at all to stop with the bdx, burgundy and Piemonte. Impulses will be tougher.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#211 Post by alan weinberg » October 6th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 12:44 pm
We are in a similar place, Neal, having just decided we're fully done with new release purchases. We are mid-40s and have largely the cellar we want to have, with wine at all stages of development from fully mature to just cellared. We stopped buying Bdx with the 2000 vintage, mostly due to a change in taste, and stopped Barolo/Barbaresco with 2013. Burgundy trickled off starting around 2012, with only a few cases total after that, and I think we're now done. We'll still buy Riesling for a few more years, as it's the last great value in the wine world, in my opinion, and we have a few more champagnes we will keep buying. Other than those and a few yearly purchases of rose and one or two daily drinkers, we're done. No more impulse purchases, no more young vintages to cellar. We've agreed that some limited purchases of older bottles (say, 20+ years old) could happen if a great opportunity presents, and champagne magnums at the right price will always be allowed, partly because we have rack space left in that section. :)

I feel very good about this decision. It wasn't hard at all to stop with the bdx, burgundy and Piemonte. Impulses will be tougher.
+1. 2005 was my last serious red Burg vintage, as I really had to face actuarial reality. It's hard when you see a deal (not often now w Burgs) so I get my kicks by mentoring a couple newbies and passing deals to them. I'm now 62 and it's still hard not to buy, so I buy white and unusual backfills. My kids will hit the jackpot when I'm gone--they love wine.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#212 Post by David Glasser » October 6th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 12:04 pm
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
16 bottles of 2016 and about 3 cases of 2015, all bought pre-resolution. My assisted living facility better have decanters available!
3 cases 2015.
2 cases 2016.

I buy Bordeaux.
I like Bordeaux.
I drink Bordeaux.
I buy Bordeaux.
Sometimes I buy too much Bordeaux.
But I’ve never bought so much Bordeaux that I’ve passed out.

Ridiculous, I know.
I’m really done now.
Promise.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member

#213 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » October 6th, 2018, 3:24 pm

I really struggle with the issue of projected palate longevity. I'm 52 and I'm still buying newly released wines to age 20-30 years. If I live and drink to 100, and want to drink them at 30, I don't need to stop buying Bordeaux and Barolo for another 18 years. I have the genes, though perhaps not the other factors, to have a decent shot at living to 100. I really have no clue, though, what the reasonable age to assume I won't be drinking the good stuff anymore, either because I have to give up booze entirely for health reasons or I can no longer tell the difference between the good stuff and the plonk. If I were fairly confident that after 85 I'd have no interest or palate, I'd be done with buying Bordeaux and Barolo after just a couple more vintages. But one of my retired partners, who is also in a tasting group with me, is 85 and still drinking strong (and with discernment). Who the heck knows?

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#214 Post by David Glasser » October 6th, 2018, 3:47 pm

This and the retirement thread in Asylum go hand in hand.
We need a Monte Carlo simulation for cellaring Bordeaux.
If I (and my palate) outlive my cellar I’ll have to buy aged Bordeaux at auction.
Assuming I haven’t outlived my money.
With this I agree: Who the heck knows?

crickey

#215 Post by crickey » October 6th, 2018, 5:00 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 3:24 pm
I really struggle with the issue of projected palate longevity. I'm 52 and I'm still buying newly released wines to age 20-30 years. If I live and drink to 100, and want to drink them at 30, I don't need to stop buying Bordeaux and Barolo for another 18 years. I have the genes, though perhaps not the other factors, to have a decent shot at living to 100. I really have no clue, though, what the reasonable age to assume I won't be drinking the good stuff anymore, either because I have to give up booze entirely for health reasons or I can no longer tell the difference between the good stuff and the plonk. If I were fairly confident that after 85 I'd have no interest or palate, I'd be done with buying Bordeaux and Barolo after just a couple more vintages. But one of my retired partners, who is also in a tasting group with me, is 85 and still drinking strong (and with discernment). Who the heck knows?
I'm in a similar situation. Like you said, palate longevity is the hard issue. I have the genes for life longevity, but who knows about taste changes. I bought a number of 2015 and 2016 Bordeaux (including a Mouton Rothschild, just in case I'm still lively and drinking fine wine in my 90s), but I have started passing on presumably great wines for fear they will never come into their prime in my lifetime.
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#216 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 6th, 2018, 5:22 pm

David Glasser wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 3:47 pm
If I (and my palate) outlive my cellar I’ll have to buy aged Bordeaux at auction.
The comforting thing is that there will be aged bdx to buy if you run out. Unlike your retirement savings, there is something you can do if your planning falls a little short of needs.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#217 Post by Craig G » October 6th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 5:22 pm
The comforting thing is that there will be aged bdx to buy if you run out. Unlike your retirement savings, there is something you can do if your planning falls a little short of needs.
I just saw Leave No Trace, so I’ve realized there are options if my retirement planning falls short.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Len P

#218 Post by Len P » October 6th, 2018, 6:00 pm

You can't be done - how are you going to start your engine in the morning every day? You could retire from work and drop out of society, take to gardening, or beekeeping, but you will still need vino at the end of the day. So where will the vino come from?

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#219 Post by Tom Reddick » October 6th, 2018, 9:35 pm

David Glasser wrote:
I have enjoyed this thread now that I, having just turned 45, am about to put the brakes on pretty hard when it comes to buying new vintages once the 2016 burgs and 2017 Germans get here. It is especially easy for me because at that point I will have a lifetime supply based on my drinking habits.

As for your question on outliving your cellar, I have given that some thought and here is what I came up with,

My entire plan is based on the assumption my standard of living will be equal to or higher than it is now for the rest of my life. I drink wine infrequently, and pretty much every bottle in my cellar could be considered "special".

If at some point I find that I need to make some serious economies- a cellar full of high end wine will be the first thing to go because my primary hobbies and basic comfort matter more to me than being able to open 2-3 bottles of high end wine a month.

However, if I find that as I get older I like to drink good wine more often, and I can still afford to so do comfortably, then I will go to auction as needed.

That realization is making easier for me to stop buying now- coming to understand that life circumstances that would make high end wine consumption more frequent than planned would also come in hand with income/wealth in excess of my current conservative forecasts, allowing for backfilling as needed.

And the ease of backfilling is one of the nicer realities of the wine market today that did not exist 20 years ago when I got into it- specifically the presence of a highly liquid resale market combined with a much greater distribution chain, retail and consumer awareness of the need for proper transportation and storage conditions.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#220 Post by David Glasser » October 6th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Tom, my thinking has been along very similar lines. My cellar is probably not as concentrated on the highest-end wines as yours, but I’ll be happy to drink each and every bottle should I live so long.

Where we really differ is that I have lacked the discipline to put on the brakes and keep them on. It’s been more like I’ve been pumping them. So I probably have more than I need once again, including cases of 2015 and 2016 Bordeaux that won’t be hitting their peaks until I’m in my 80s. I may drink them, or sell them, or pass them on to my heirs. But I won’t regret buying them.

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#221 Post by Tom Reddick » October 6th, 2018, 10:44 pm

David Glasser wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 9:49 pm
Tom, my thinking has been along very similar lines. My cellar is probably not as concentrated on the highest-end wines as yours, but I’ll be happy to drink each and every bottle should I live so long.

Where we really differ is that I have lacked the discipline to put on the brakes and keep them on. It’s been more like I’ve been pumping them. So I probably have more than I need once again, including cases of 2015 and 2016 Bordeaux that won’t be hitting their peaks until I’m in my 80s. I may drink them, or sell them, or pass them on to my heirs. But I won’t regret buying them.
Well, to be fair- my discipline has not been fully tested yet [wink.gif]

I was originally going to go full stop after 2016, but opted for "put the brakes on pretty hard" so that I can keep some good relationships and also continue to amass a few things that have become so expensive that I cannot get all I really want in the next couple of vintages. And so, I plan to do Soldera and Meo for a bit longer, plus William and Mary in the Cab department, and then Schaefer and Haag because I do see myself drinking Riesling far more frequently in future if I can.

That should make it a bit easier to transition out while also dropping the actual bottles purchased per year by about 80% for the next few years.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#222 Post by Howard Cooper » October 7th, 2018, 4:33 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
I would love to be able to remember this post and find and repost it in about 10 years when Mr. Alfert is telling us what a bargain 2026 Cantemerle and Sociando Mallet are.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#223 Post by Howard Cooper » October 7th, 2018, 4:36 am

David Glasser wrote:
If you need the money in the distant future, sell the Bordeaux.
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#224 Post by Howard Cooper » October 7th, 2018, 4:51 am

One of the interesting aspects of being retired, is that having more time to travel is impacting my wine buying. Over 1/2 of the wine I have waiting to be shipped to me right now is from Burgundy or Champagne producers that I visited this summer (purchases are not necessarily direct from the wineries but can be from stores in the US) and way more than that is from producers from there, Bordeaux, California, etc., that I have visited in the past several years.

Some of this is a feeling of wanting to give back to people who let me come visit and are really nice and generous to me when I get there (also why I religiously post travel notes on these visits as soon as I get back). Some of this is great buys in the region or at the winery. Some of it is that I tend to try to visit wineries where I love the wines anyway.

But, it demonstrates a certain difficulty in cutting back purchases as one gets older. At a point in life when you finally have the time and money to travel and visit all the places you really want to visit in the wine world, how do you stop buying the wines from the producers you visit?

[Yes, I do realize that this is a very 1st world problem to have and that nobody should be feeling sorry for me as I feel incredibly lucky. But, I post this because I am just a few years (if that) ahead of Neal and David and not as many years as he thinks ahead of Robert and don't want them to feel too smug about their future plans at cutting back. You guys are all going to have this issue quite soon.]
Howard

Karl K

#225 Post by Karl K » October 7th, 2018, 5:34 am

I buy wines on release but I buy just as much wine at auction, as in some cases I wasn’t around when the wines were made and in other cases I wasn’t in position to buy them new.

This is only possible because people who originally bought the wine did not drink it.

So thank you to everyone who has bought more wine than they will drink.

I fully put myself in this camp, too: I know
there are wines in my collection which I will never drink. I just can’t tell you right now which ones they are.

I see myself as a link in a chain of collectors.

Tom, what are your non-wine primary hobbies?
K a z a k s

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#226 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 7th, 2018, 8:22 am

Len P wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 6:00 pm
You can't be done - how are you going to start your engine in the morning every day? You could retire from work and drop out of society, take to gardening, or beekeeping, but you will still need vino at the end of the day. So where will the vino come from?
Don't fret; I'll be just fine!

Based on current consumption rates, I have more than enough wine to last me, I think. While I acknowledge the possibility that when I no longer have to get up at 5:30 in the morning (!!!!) I might increase my rate of consumption a bit, and therefore may test this assumption, I am not inclined to buy more now based on such a possibility. Plus, I am reliably informed that they will still be selling wine when I am in my 80s if it turns out I have drunk my cellar dry.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#227 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 7th, 2018, 8:40 am

Damn dog, why do you have to get up at 5:30 in the morning?

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#228 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 7th, 2018, 8:45 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 8:40 am
Because during the first 2-3 hours each day, the phone doesn't ring, no one stops in to chat, and I can actually work. The rest of the day I am more likely to be holding client hands and telling associates, nicely, why what they did was not good enough. 481 days.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#229 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 7th, 2018, 9:25 am

This thread prompted me to take a look at not only my total consumption on a yearly basis versus my cellar holdings, but also my consumption on a regional basis. This exercise proved very interesting. While overall I have wine stores that will last about 25 years at current consumption levels (and I fully expect my consumption will drop off, not increase, as I can already feel age reducing my capacity and tolerance, so imagine the 25 number is conservative), there are some regions where I might very well run out sooner if my regional percentages remain constant. Most regions, though, are right in line - X% of my cellar aligns with a similar X% of my consumption. A very useful exercise as my findings will inform the back-filling I'm likely to do!

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#230 Post by David Glasser » October 7th, 2018, 11:19 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 8:45 am
481 days.
You’re going to enjoy retirement.

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#231 Post by alan weinberg » October 7th, 2018, 11:20 am

you guys are like disciplined scientists. I just buy and drink and buy. My whims are so random and I know I will die, not like famous wine critic Andre Simon with one bottle in my cellar, but with a mish mash of random great wines I didn’t get to. I am impressed.

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#232 Post by Merrill Lindquist » October 7th, 2018, 11:30 am

I am a late-comer to this collecting game. Money went into producing my own wine...and I was dating people who had plenty of good stuff. No need to purchase nor collect.

Now I order Champagne. I will keep at it. It brings pleasure.

Posted by Merrill as a grower/owner/winemaker/producer AND wine lover/consumer.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#233 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » October 7th, 2018, 11:42 am

What I'm going to say may be heresy, but.....

If you "run out" of wine in your cellar, then it might be theoretically possible to order wine on the Internet, from a wine store, at auction, etc. Assuming, of course, there's
no Zombie Apocalypse.

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#234 Post by Neal.Mollen » October 7th, 2018, 11:43 am

Bruce Leiser_owitz wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 11:42 am

If you "run out" of wine in your cellar, then it might be theoretically possible to order wine on the Internet, from a wine store, at auction, etc. Assuming, of course, there's
no Zombie Apocalypse.

Bruce
That’s what they want you to think.

Bruce Leiser_owitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#235 Post by Bruce Leiser_owitz » October 7th, 2018, 11:54 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 11:43 am

no Zombie Apocalypse.

Bruce
That’s what they want you to think.
Well, I fell into the trap of buying a lot of stuff because I thought I needed to drink "from the cellar." And then I kept finding reasons not to touch various bottles (esp. when
I convinced myself that the wine wasn't "ready" yet.).

Bruce
"Bruce you are correct."--Andrew Kaufman, 3/24/13.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#236 Post by Jay Miller » October 7th, 2018, 11:55 am

no Zombie Apocalypse.

Bruce
A friend of mine likes to say that there will always be more good wine for sale.

Of course I know that's because he wants to buy up all the good stuff himself while I'm not looking.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#237 Post by David Glasser » October 7th, 2018, 12:05 pm

October 7th, 2018, 11:54 am
Well, I fell into the trap of buying a lot of stuff because I thought I needed to drink "from the cellar." And then I kept finding reasons not to touch various bottles (esp. when I convinced myself that the wine wasn't "ready" yet.).

Bruce
Haha, I’ll admit to times when I felt I had nothing to open despite a full cellar. Happened less often as the wines matured, and stopped entirely once I matured to the point of realizing any day is special enough for a special bottle.

I’ve always preferred aging it myself to buying older bottles at auction, but that would change if the need arose. OTOH, my palate might be so dull by the time I run out of wine that I’ll need the likes of Meiomi to stimulate the receptors.

Pat Martin

#238 Post by Pat Martin » October 7th, 2018, 1:08 pm

Current cellar count: 2820 bottles. I have set the interdependent goals of consuming more than I buy in 2018 and getting into the 2700s. I can just barely achieve the first goal (which would be a first for me) if I don’t buy anymore wine for the rest of the year. A few, big open-my-wine-only tastings before January would help a lot too.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Pat Martin

#239 Post by Pat Martin » October 7th, 2018, 1:11 pm

David Glasser wrote:
October 6th, 2018, 3:16 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
3 cases 2015.
2 cases 2016.

I buy Bordeaux.
I like Bordeaux.
I drink Bordeaux.
I buy Bordeaux.

Ridiculous, I know.
I’m really done now.
Promise.
Bordeaux is my thang, but somehow I’ve only bought 2 mixed cases of 2015 claret and none of 2016. Progress!

Of course, 2016 is a birth year in our household, so once these show up on the shelf and I can taste a few, I’ll lay a mixed case or two of 2016 down for special occasions a few decades from now.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Sarah Kirschbaum

#240 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 7th, 2018, 1:23 pm

no Zombie Apocalypse.

Bruce
Well of course, we all know that - no one thinks the wine stores and auction houses are going to suddenly disappear - but if the core question is around when you might want to stop purchasing new release wine to cellar yourself, then it's obviously important to think about how much you have versus how much you might "need." If you get it wrong, sure there will be plenty of ways to fix it, but that doesn't negate the value of doing the projections. And of course, you won't be able to guarantee buying down the road what you can buy now, even putting aside questions of price and storage.
Last edited by Sarah Kirschbaum on October 7th, 2018, 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J Dove
GCC Member
GCC Member

#241 Post by J Dove » October 7th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I'm with you, Neal. When we moved 6 years ago, the wine went offsite as the new house had no cellar and I wasn't sure I wanted to build one (or keep the wine, even). My last futures vintage was 2005. Since 2012 -- I've probably drawn that wine down by maybe 10 cases or so. Everything else was pop and pour value oriented wine purchased locally. Over that time, I've developed a new appreciation for the wonders of well selected $15-$25 bottles.

Four months ago, I decided to build a cellar. I checked back into the wine boards and started buying again. The new cellar had planned excess capacity when the final drawings were finished. Once I turned back on -- the excess capacity was gone with the wind in short order. I made up for the hiatus with a vengeance. The cellar is three weeks from being finished and I am now in a mode where I can basically only buy to replace what I drink or unload... But, of course, I go through my wines and struggle to find much of anything I regret buying. It would take me 15+ years to consume everything if I didn't buy another bottle. Fortunately, I always had a strong bias toward wines with long drinking windows.

[rofl.gif]
J i m (Bordeauxnut)

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#242 Post by maureen nelson » October 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 11:20 am
you guys are like disciplined scientists. I just buy and drink and buy. My whims are so random and I know I will die, not like famous wine critic Andre Simon with one bottle in my cellar, but with a mish mash of random great wines I didn’t get to. I am impressed.
So alan how many bottles of post-2005 burgundy have you bought?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#243 Post by alan weinberg » October 7th, 2018, 2:31 pm

maureen nelson wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 2:24 pm
alan weinberg wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 11:20 am
So alan how many bottles of post-2005 burgundy have you bought?
I am so undisciplined. I was getting DRC cheap and quit after 2010. I have maybe 200 post 05 bottles, mostly lesser bottles that can be opened weekdays and DRC. But overall, I have behaved well re red wines. Whites—different story.

Jayson Cohen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#244 Post by Jayson Cohen » October 7th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Pat Martin wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 1:08 pm
A few, big open-my-wine-only tastings before January would help a lot too.
We would be happy to host you in NYC. [cheers.gif]

Pat Martin

#245 Post by Pat Martin » October 7th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Pat Martin wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 1:08 pm
A few, big open-my-wine-only tastings before January would help a lot too.
We would be happy to host you in NYC. [cheers.gif]
I’m looking to visit the big apple in December, dates still being pinned down. But once I know, I’ll see who from the NYC crew is up for a gathering!
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

Markus S

#246 Post by Markus S » October 7th, 2018, 5:54 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
...481 days.
Counting the days, huh?
$ _ € ® e . k @

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#247 Post by Howard Cooper » October 7th, 2018, 6:49 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 8:40 am
Because during the first 2-3 hours each day, the phone doesn't ring, no one stops in to chat, and I can actually work. The rest of the day I am more likely to be holding client hands and telling associates, nicely, why what they did was not good enough. 481 days.
Do the associates cry?
Howard

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#248 Post by Howard Cooper » October 7th, 2018, 6:57 pm

David Glasser wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
3 cases 2015.
2 cases 2016.

I buy Bordeaux.
I like Bordeaux.
I drink Bordeaux.
I buy Bordeaux.

Ridiculous, I know.
I’m really done now.
Promise.
Time for cross examination?

Does your wife like Bordeaux?
Have you ever bought Bordeaux against her will?
Have you ever forced her to buy Bordeaux?
Howard

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

#249 Post by J a y H a c k » October 7th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 7th, 2018, 6:57 pm
David Glasser wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:

3 cases 2015.
2 cases 2016.

I buy Bordeaux.
I like Bordeaux.
I drink Bordeaux.
I buy Bordeaux.

Ridiculous, I know.
I’m really done now.
Promise.
Time for cross examination?

Does your wife like Bordeaux?
Have you ever bought Bordeaux against her will?
Have you ever forced her to buy Bordeaux?
Do you still force your children to carry your heavier cases down to the cellar.
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#250 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 7th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Jay, please, that’s what first year associates are for! We have standards.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Return to “Wine Talk”