I'm done*

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#1 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 14th, 2018, 5:54 am

In advance of the oncoming spring, I am trying to get all of my wine currently held by retailers shipped. And as the boxes pile up on the cellar floor, with no room in the racks to put them, and as I start doing age/bottles-per-week math in my head, I have decided to declare, here, publicly, that I am done buying wine.*/

I say this in part because after declaring, with great hubris, that I had bought nothing recently in the "what have you bought lately" thread, I immediately bough 6 bottles of recent vintage reds, a bdx and a burg. Why, I cannot explain. Good wine, yes, and good deals too, but seriously, this has become an autonomic reaction and not a conscious decision.

So, I am declaring here -- so that the fear of ridicule will keep me honest -- that I do not care whether someone is virtually giving away spectacular 2016 (or 17, or 18 . . .) bdx or bdx or barolo wines. This matters to me, officially, about as much as a 75% off sale on car covers for a 1966 Silver Shadow. The quality of the product may be outstanding and the price may be too low to believe, but I have no use for it. And I am declaring myself, officially, not interested.

*/ I suspect I will continue to be an easy mark for well-aged, reasonably priced reds. And it is conceivable that my currently-overflowing stock of champagne could require replenishing. But buying young red wines at this juncture is just not sane.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#2 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 14th, 2018, 5:58 am

Are you retracting the PM you sent me yesterday?

And welcome to reality! We old now! New wine is a young person’s game. I even laughed when I grabbed another 2010 Vieux Chateau Certan, but unlike you, I stopped at 2014 Bordeaux and did not venture into 2015/2016. I just grabbed a bunch of 2015 Levet and declared to Fu, this could be my last vintage, I hand the reins over....

Backfilling is the game now. With asterisk.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#3 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 14th, 2018, 6:04 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Are you retracting the PM you sent me yesterday?

And welcome to reality! We old now! New wine is a young person’s game. I even laughed when I grabbed another 2010 Vieux Chateau Certan, but unlike you, I stopped at 2014 Bordeaux and did not venture into 2015/2016. I just grabbed a bunch of 2015 Levet and declared to Fu, this could be my last vintage, I hand the reins over....

Backfilling is the game now. With asterisk.
Nah, I bought the 14 GPL because the deal was "too good to pass up," and I was excited as if I had won something for getting a "bargain." Then I realized how many of these I already owned, how much other 2000, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2014, and 2015 bdx I am still allowing to age (not to mention 2005-15 burgs, 98-2013 barolo etc) and asked myself whether I really expect to be drinking these wines in my 90s. It is ridiculous. My kid likes champagne, a little, but red wine not at all. For whom (or for what) am I aging them? To auction them? Feh!

In all seriousness, the fact that this will be a challenge is sad. It has become an expensive and useless habit -- succumbing to the chase for the "right" wine at the "right" price for the chase's sake -- and it has to stop.

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#4 Post by Mattstolz » February 14th, 2018, 6:29 am

proposal:

Continue researching for deals, because we all know thats gonna keep happening anyways, because thats half of the fun part about why this is such a fun passion, but when you see deals, pass em along to those of us with budding collections and cellar time. when yall are still drinking way longer than your math assumes you will and these bottles are mature, we'll share them with you as if they were your own.

jmdavidson
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#5 Post by jmdavidson » February 14th, 2018, 6:43 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:In advance of the oncoming spring, I am trying to get all of my wine currently held by retailers shipped. And as the boxes pile up on the cellar floor, with no room in the racks to put them, and as I start doing age/bottles-per-week math in my head, I have decided to declare, here, publicly, that I am done buying wine.*/

I say this in part because after declaring, with great hubris, that I had bought nothing recently in the "what have you bought lately" thread, I immediately bough 6 bottles of recent vintage reds, a bdx and a burg. Why, I cannot explain. Good wine, yes, and good deals too, but seriously, this has become an autonomic reaction and not a conscious decision.

So, I am declaring here -- so that the fear of ridicule will keep me honest -- that I do not care whether someone is virtually giving away spectacular 2016 (or 17, or 18 . . .) bdx or bdx or barolo wines. This matters to me, officially, about as much as a 75% off sale on car covers for a 1966 Silver Shadow. The quality of the product may be outstanding and the price may be too low to believe, but I have no use for it. And I am declaring myself, officially, not interested.

*/ I suspect I will continue to be an easy mark for well-aged, reasonably priced reds. And it is conceivable that my currently-overflowing stock of champagne could require replenishing. But buying young red wines at this juncture is just not sane.
A SIWBM. Good luck! We've all been on a million of them...until the next time.
James M Davidson
Chicago area

Drew Goin

I'm done*

#6 Post by Drew Goin » February 14th, 2018, 6:45 am

Neal,

I hope you are able to take this hiatus/abstinence as an opportunity to drink more of what you have accumulated over the years. Share with friends and family! Gift bottles to neighbors and relatives! Celebrate what you have spent a lot of time gathering, rather than focusing on the chase or FOMO.

Best wishes! :)

crickey

I'm done*

#7 Post by crickey » February 14th, 2018, 6:50 am

Is champagne wine? ;-)
Chri$ Ri¢k€y

Markus S

I'm done*

#8 Post by Markus S » February 14th, 2018, 6:51 am

Can I call you a Liar? strawman
$ _ € ® e . k @

Al Osterheld

I'm done*

#9 Post by Al Osterheld » February 14th, 2018, 6:52 am

Done as in forever and ever until the end of time? Including Champagne?

-Al

C. Mc Cart
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#10 Post by C. Mc Cart » February 14th, 2018, 7:01 am

Good for you (if it sticks), Neal. I hope you succeed.

I suspect most people, men especially, with cellars fail spectacularly at this until they're truly too old to drink/enjoy wine. The chase & instant gratification of buying is probably more than half the thrill for our brains, even if we don't admit it to ourselves. Coming to a social website revolving around wine everyday isn't exactly keeping the junkie away from the dealer, if you know what I mean.

I'm not yet 50 and there are some wines I no longer buy on release due to my preference on when to enjoy them (Brdx & Hermitage, I'm talking about you) and I'm sure that list will expand over the next decade or two, which will probably be a good thing, as the more $$/age worthy wines gradually fall off my radar.
In the end, as you say - there may come a time for some of us when there actually is too much wine. Leaving a cellar to another generation isn't always a gift.

Bonne chance.
Chris

Don Brazelton
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#11 Post by Don Brazelton » February 14th, 2018, 7:10 am

If the wine is a great price, you can always buy and donate to a charity although the new tax law makes that less attractive for someone that will use the new standard deduction.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#12 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 14th, 2018, 7:12 am

So Neal is a bit older than me, I’m 52, but have been teasing him about his foray into 2013 Barolo and 2015/2016 Bordeaux. I’ve refrained. It’s not just the age - I’ll be 72 when these wines are really hitting their drinking window - but for the big wines, it’s also cheaper to backfill. And smarter. Therein lies the focus: I’ve had a blast seeking and buying well-stored, matured and affordable Bordeaux and some other treats. Amazing what’s available in the marketplace.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#13 Post by Mattstolz » February 14th, 2018, 7:13 am

Don Brazelton wrote:If the wine is a great price, you can always buy and donate to a charity although the new tax law makes that less attractive for someone that will use the new standard deduction.
donating the right wines puts you over the standard deduction pretty quickly though! haha

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#14 Post by Jim Friedman » February 14th, 2018, 7:14 am

I declared this when I turned 60 almost 8 years ago. I have a ton of Bordeaux, 2 tons of Champagne, and a lot of other mostly red wine. If I never bought another bottle I am probably good until I am about 80. I still buy a few everyday reds and German wine for parties but other than that I am done.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#15 Post by Alan Eden » February 14th, 2018, 7:15 am

Neal,

How old are you ? hopefully at least 70 by the way your writing off the future
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#16 Post by CJ Beazley » February 14th, 2018, 7:18 am

Years ago I went with my grandfather to buy a new car. As we stood there on the showroom floor while they got the paperwork done he said “well this is it, this will be the last new car I ever buy”. I thought it was profoundly sad-it’s always stuck with me.
It's C(raig)

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#17 Post by Jay Miller » February 14th, 2018, 7:22 am

Good luck Neal! Almost all of us have been there.

A word of advice - unsubscribe from all winery/wine shop emails right now. What you don't know won't pile up on your floor.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#18 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 14th, 2018, 7:31 am

My dad is 79. He and my mom still buy lots of wine, but really more for daily drinkers with their dinner. He has some well-matured wines, but those are for weekends, special occasions or whenever he says "what the heck". I am always mindful that his palate took a dramatic turn to the modern around hitting 70 or so. He loves going to wine stores.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Walt Hoehler
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#19 Post by Walt Hoehler » February 14th, 2018, 7:34 am

Why? Really, why? You enjoy the chase, the acquisition of expertise, the journey, the drink.

If you are concerned that it is consuming too much income, fine.

Don't deprive yourself of something you enjoy doing. Life is too short.

Get after it young man!

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#20 Post by alan weinberg » February 14th, 2018, 7:40 am

I tried to quit buying. Tried to face actuarial reality. So far, I have failed miserably. Plan B is to drink more.

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#21 Post by Jeff Bloom » February 14th, 2018, 7:46 am

My wife reminds me regularly of the mortality and wine aging correlation (along with the fact that I have no space left to put anything), so I have tried to stop buying wines that need time and have failed miserably. The best example was our trip to the Piemonte this summer, tasting several excellent 2013s. Knowing I shouldn't, I have been buying a bunch, hoping they're ready before they end up with the nieces and nephews.

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#22 Post by K John Joseph » February 14th, 2018, 7:50 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:My kid likes champagne, a little, but red wine not at all. For whom (or for what) am I aging them? To auction them? Feh!

In all seriousness, the fact that this will be a challenge is sad. It has become an expensive and useless habit -- succumbing to the chase for the "right" wine at the "right" price for the chase's sake -- and it has to stop.
Neal,

I'm only 34. You can adopt me and send me wines whenever. I'll be like a real son, call once every few months, and we can meet up around holidays once a year. I'll tease you, but respect you, and will help find a nice geezer home for you when you become senile. Deal?
J0hn-J-K4ne

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#23 Post by ky1em!ttskus » February 14th, 2018, 8:04 am

See you next week! Lock the door until then, please. ;)

Marcus Goodfellow
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

I'm done*

#24 Post by Marcus Goodfellow » February 14th, 2018, 8:06 am

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:So Neal is a bit older than me, I’m 52, but have been teasing him about his foray into 2013 Barolo and 2015/2016 Bordeaux. I’ve refrained. It’s not just the age - I’ll be 72 when these wines are really hitting their drinking window - but for the big wines, it’s also cheaper to backfill. And smarter. Therein lies the focus: I’ve had a blast seeking and buying well-stored, matured and affordable Bordeaux and some other treats. Amazing what’s available in the marketplace.
+1 (except I’m 49...and I moved a lot of my “new vintage” dollars to more Riesling and Champagne)
Goodfellow Family Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#25 Post by Mattstolz » February 14th, 2018, 8:10 am

K John Joseph wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:My kid likes champagne, a little, but red wine not at all. For whom (or for what) am I aging them? To auction them? Feh!

Neal,

I'm only 34. You can adopt me and send me wines whenever. I'll be like a real son, call once every few months, and we can meet up around holidays once a year. I'll tease you, but respect you, and will help find a nice geezer home for you when you become senile. Deal?

Count me in for this too! we'll have a grand old time, mostly out of obligation and family related holiday participation and mutual love for wine [drinkers.gif] .

Ken V
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#26 Post by Ken V » February 14th, 2018, 8:25 am

K John Joseph wrote:

Neal,

This made me LOL!

Since I am a bit older than Neal, I face the same situation. I am hoping that at least one of my kids gets more serious about wine before I die, so it won't all just get sold off.

BTW I already have lots of volunteers for "wine adoption".
Ken V @ s t o l @
The Fine Wine Geek
Click on the W W W button under my name to see my website.
"Don't be meek, embrace the geek." -Terry Theise
Twitter: @FineWineGeek

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#27 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 14th, 2018, 8:26 am

Some very entertaining replies. I am not old -- well, at 61 I am older than Alfert by almost a decade, but not yet ancient -- but the no-new-vintage-reds equation is informed by the fact that I don't drink all that much (and don't think it is all that wise to increase alcohol consumption as an excuse to buy), also that I like the wines I love with age, and the fact that I simply cannot imagine how at the current (or even a moderately increased) rate of consumption I am going to empty the larder. And if, when I am 80, I can't find anything to drink, I can raid Alfert's cellar.

Besides, I have other interests that will easily soak up the time and money now devoted to wines I likely will never drink, and I can enjoy the fruits of those purchases the day I bring them home. Think of the new hifi gear!

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#28 Post by Anton D » February 14th, 2018, 8:30 am

You'll be back...

[youtube]UPw-3e_pzqU[/youtube]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#29 Post by Kirk.Grant » February 14th, 2018, 8:47 am

Neal, I'm with you...too many bottles for the Eurocaves. Time to drink up what I have.
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#30 Post by Jim F » February 14th, 2018, 8:47 am

Oh for god’s sake, I detect some guilt in here someplace [swearing.gif] . I am 64 and figure this is the new 40s. I did buy 2016 Bordeaux and I admit it worries me a bit, that vintage in particular of the last trio, but what the hell, I think I like them younger than you guys anyway. Maybe you need to adapt to younger wines? pileon But....the writing is on the wall. Was this my last foray into bordeaux?
Jim Freeman

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#31 Post by David K o l i n » February 14th, 2018, 8:57 am

Good luck, Neal. I made a similar pledge a couple of years ago and have pretty much kept to it other than for young domestic syrahs, which my wife likes, Champagnes, some domestic whites and roses, SQN offers, some Cabernet/Bordeaux with age in them . . . Wait. Maybe this isn’t working out the way I planned.

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#32 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » February 14th, 2018, 8:59 am

Just remember, on their deathbed, no one ever says “I wish I had bought less wine”. Think of each of those bottles as a good memory waiting to happen!

Mattstolz
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#33 Post by Mattstolz » February 14th, 2018, 9:11 am

if you start decanting the current release barolos now, they'll be ready for your 65th birthday!

Brian G r a f s t r o m
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#34 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » February 14th, 2018, 9:14 am

I wish you the best of luck in this seemingly impossible endeavor, Neal. If you manage to pull this off, a statute will likely be erected in your honor.

Per Robert's observation about his father: I think mid-late life palate shift, as opposed to death, is something that we all need to give greater consideration to when planning our wine purchases. Hell, I'm still a bit short of 40, and I *already* think I only have a decade of unbridled buying left in me; I sense you've probably had a similar worry for awhile, but haven't been able to follow-through on it. Riesling, Champagne, and White Burg. are always there for you if you get the shakes ...
“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT: grafstrb

J a y H a c k
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#35 Post by J a y H a c k » February 14th, 2018, 9:19 am

Ma Nishtanah HaLaylah HaZeh?
Yes, that's a DM of 1978 Mouton!

You can read my Financial Institutions Law Blog at https://www.gdblaw.com/blog?practiceID=4985.

Scott E.

I'm done*

#36 Post by Scott E. » February 14th, 2018, 9:24 am

I can see how this would be a very difficult thing for those who love and can afford aged Bdx, Barolo, Burg, etc. and those who love to collect. I figure I'm lucky that (a) Bdx got too pricey before I got into wine that heavily; (b) I hate the chase - I don't buy wine to collect them, but only to drink them; and (c) I drink my wine on the young side, generally aging them no longer than 7 years. My cellar has stayed constant at about 650 bottles - I just replace (in numbers, off of a list) what I consume. I imagine I will have to change my ways at retirement though (I'm almost 61)... Cheers!
$.E$te$

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#37 Post by Anton D » February 14th, 2018, 9:26 am

The easiest answer here is to switch from buying new release wines to buying mature wines...you can go from 'buy and hold' to 'buy and drink!' [cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

CJ Beazley
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#38 Post by CJ Beazley » February 14th, 2018, 9:32 am

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I wish you the best of luck in this seemingly impossible endeavor, Neal. If you manage to pull this off, a statute will likely be erected in your honor.

Per Robert's observation about his father: I think mid-late life palate shift, as opposed to death, is something that we all need to give greater consideration to when planning our wine purchases. Hell, I'm still a bit short of 40, and I *already* think I only have a decade of unbridled buying left in me; I sense you've probably had a similar worry for awhile, but haven't been able to follow-through on it. Riesling, Champagne, and White Burg. are always there for you if you get the shakes ...
I was reluctant to post this but, my FIL has always had an old world palette and we’ve enjoyed many great older bdx. But begining in his late 70’s he really starting shifting to bigger and bigger wines (Cali cabs) in an almost ‘chasing the dragon’ kind of way. Anyone else experienced this?
It's C(raig)

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#39 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 14th, 2018, 9:34 am

J a y H a c k wrote:Ma Nishtanah HaLaylah HaZeh?
LOL!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#40 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 14th, 2018, 9:36 am

Jim F wrote:Oh for god’s sake, I detect some guilt in here someplace [swearing.gif] . I am 64 and figure this is the new 40s. I did buy 2016 Bordeaux and I admit it worries me a bit, that vintage in particular of the last trio, but what the hell, I think I like them younger than you guys anyway. Maybe you need to adapt to younger wines? pileon But....the writing is on the wall. Was this my last foray into bordeaux?
To paraphrase someone (I think it may have been Victor), the guilt, dear Jim F, is not in the OP, but in your post. [cheers.gif]

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#41 Post by Dennis Borczon » February 14th, 2018, 9:45 am

This is a very reasonable stance to take. I am at virtually the same age and have decided the following....
1. Stopped buying ageable Bordeaux at 2010 vintage. It is amusing to see the circus going on by but now i just wave. Got an offer for ONE bottle of 2015 Margaux at $1,000+ USD (like this really needs to be tightly allocated?) Silly really to think of buying.

2. No more long aging Hermitage.

3. Limited CA Cabernet acquisition. Have lots but diet increasingly skewed to fish, lighter foods. Bunkered away tons of the stuff for pace of consumption. One advantage in this category is that they taste great at every point in the aging curve for me. Never worrying about closed phases much.

4. Champagne? Small number to age for special occasions. Supply is HUGE, and seems to expand over time. When i run out it can be bought everywhere.

5. Burgundy? Drinking early 2000's and savoring the time to start on the 2005's. I cannot seem to pass up Burg deals but village wines can be very satisfying in short run. Wait in a few years when all the speculation dies down and idiots are chasing weird Bourbon and Chinese single vineyard wines. Will buy old vintages of good stuff comparatively cheap and enjoy immediately.
When i am old i won't need lots of bottles

6. Rhys... can't stop buying. Maybe the DRC of California someday. Everyone has that secret vice.

I support your resolve comrade! Think of those places you will go instead!

"The older i get, the younger i like 'em" -Robert Parker

Scott Watkins
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#42 Post by Scott Watkins » February 14th, 2018, 9:45 am

So as someone else here so eloquently put it your store is closed? I wish you all the luck in the world! Sadly I tried this a few weeks ago and then I caved and bought some Levet yesterday [head-bang.gif]
“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

David Cooper

I'm done*

#43 Post by David Cooper » February 14th, 2018, 10:06 am

CJ Beazley wrote:
Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:I wish you the best of luck in this seemingly impossible endeavor, Neal. If you manage to pull this off, a statute will likely be erected in your honor.

I was reluctant to post this but, my FIL has always had an old world palette and we’ve enjoyed many great older bdx. But begining in his late 70’s he really starting shifting to bigger and bigger wines (Cali cabs) in an almost ‘chasing the dragon’ kind of way. Anyone else experienced this?
Robert Parker.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#44 Post by Russ Williams » February 14th, 2018, 10:06 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:Some very entertaining replies. I am not old -- well, at 61 I am older than Alfert by almost a decade, but not yet ancient -- but the no-new-vintage-reds equation is informed by the fact that I don't drink all that much (and don't think it is all that wise to increase alcohol consumption as an excuse to buy), also that I like the wines I love with age, and the fact that I simply cannot imagine how at the current (or even a moderately increased) rate of consumption I am going to empty the larder. And if, when I am 80, I can't find anything to drink, I can raid Alfert's cellar.

Besides, I have other interests that will easily soak up the time and money now devoted to wines I likely will never drink, and I can enjoy the fruits of those purchases the day I bring them home. Think of the new hifi gear!
I desperately need to join you in this endeavor, so maybe we can start a support group as neither of us are likely to be that successful. We both probably need to request to be dropped from Envoyer’s email list to have a prayer. My short term goal this year is to drop my mailing list to 3 and only purchase ‘some’ champagnes I enjoy from Envoyer. If I can pull this off then I will consider this year the beginning of a new wine journey. Stay strong!!
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

“We've got warehouses of butter
We've got oceans of wine
We've got famine when we need it
Got designer crime
We've got Mercedes
We've got Porsche
Ferrari and Rolls Royce”

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#45 Post by Anton D » February 14th, 2018, 10:18 am

David Cooper wrote:
CJ Beazley wrote:

Robert Parker.
[rofl.gif]
Anton Dotson

dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#46 Post by dsimmons » February 14th, 2018, 10:19 am

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Unknown
D o n

David Cooper

I'm done*

#47 Post by David Cooper » February 14th, 2018, 10:26 am

In a lot of cases wines are becoming more accessible. I was thrilled to hear Aldo Vacca say that his newly released Riservas will be ready to drink in 8 to 12 years. I am buying 2013 Barolo, but only Normales.

I've never been a real wine collector, more of a wine drinker, I rarely buy more then a couple of bottles of any wine, so I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I am the same age as Neal. I keep my inventory between 400 and 500 bottles.

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#48 Post by Jim F » February 14th, 2018, 10:28 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Jim F wrote:Oh for god’s sake, I detect some guilt in here someplace [swearing.gif] . I am 64 and figure this is the new 40s. I did buy 2016 Bordeaux and I admit it worries me a bit, that vintage in particular of the last trio, but what the hell, I think I like them younger than you guys anyway. Maybe you need to adapt to younger wines? pileon But....the writing is on the wall. Was this my last foray into bordeaux?
To paraphrase someone (I think it may have been Victor), the guilt, dear Jim F, is not in the OP, but in your post. [cheers.gif]

Fair enough! It was meant TIC whilst viewing in the mirror hitsfan
Jim Freeman

ky1em!ttskus
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#49 Post by ky1em!ttskus » February 14th, 2018, 10:31 am

Last edited by ky1em!ttskus on February 14th, 2018, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

I'm done*

#50 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » February 14th, 2018, 10:31 am

David Cooper wrote:
CJ Beazley wrote:

Robert Parker.
LOL, and my Dad.

My Dad introduced me to old world wine, and now he likes 2007 Chateauneuf de Pape and big Cali Cabs. And high octane Zins.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Return to “Wine Talk”