Paso Wine Tasting trip - Dec 27, 2017 (Law, Calcareous, Daou, Justin, Lone Madrone)

I’m normally far more prompt than this, but at least I saved my notes from our relatively recent trip to Paso Robles so I could post notes! Had an awful end of the year, with my mom’s hospice time and passing, and Jen took the reins and planned a trip to Paso, where she has a friend with a guest room. All I had to do is arrange the wine tastings. I tried for new wineries (to me) and had to do Justin since that’s one of Jen’s all-time favorites (or was…more below)

While our first appointment was at Calcareous, we were early, so we stopped at nearby Law Estate, and snuck in, as apparently it’s only by appointment. Jen was able to convince the tasting room manager to fit us in by complimenting her eye makeup (not sure such techniques will work for me…). The facility is freakin gorgeous - right up our alley with progressive, modern architecture, clean lines, etc. Tasting fee is a bit pricey, at $25 per, but the wines were very interesting for the region. We sampled (all 2014) Cirque, Sagacious, Audacious, and Beyond Category (was hoping for a wine named ‘Bodacious’ as well, and from what I recall, there was one limited bottling of it, named by the list members during the blending party or release party - can’t recall). All were quite massively structured, and ALL of them needed age. These are heavily-built wines, and I’d love the opportunity to try one with 5 or more years of age on it. Pricey at $75 per bottle, but the list members who were there definitely were big fans, all singing the praises of the winery and their wines, so they obviously found a great niche of faithful customers. Not many specific notes on each wine, unfortunately, as what really impressed me is what I mentioned earlier - the huge presence of these wines, and how much they needed to sit and rest. The experience was one Jen prefers, where the wines are lined up on a sheet, marked, with each glass having wine in it, so you, as the taster, can sample one, go to another, go back, etc. I also love this method, but it’s tough in a traditional tasting room - it’s sit-down-only to make this work well.

Next was Calcareous - a really fun tasting, more traditional tasting room setup. John Teeling chatted with us for a while, and their staff is quite knowledgable, which is required as this rather small winery (6k cases) produces a rather large number of wines, based on what we tried, and what we didn’t but showed on the tasting menu (but nowhere NEAR the amount that Lone Madrone produces!). The owners, I believe, are from Ohio or something, and live most of the year in Ohio. Not sure why, as Paso is such a lovely place to live… Our first wine was a shocker - 2015 Estate Chardonnay. Estate Chardonnay from Paso Robles! It was shockingly good, too - I expected extracted, sweet, warm climate Chardonnay, and it was quite pleasant, fresh, and with good acidity. We sampled the '14 Pinot Noir from York Mountain (and were given a most interesting story about that site for grape growing), '15 ZSM, '14 Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, '15 Grenache, and were poured two other cabs - '14 Carver Vineyard York Mountain and '13 Signature D Cabernet - both of these two were our favorites (other than the Chardonnay which I couldn’t stop talking about, shocked by how it turned out). The mountain fruit (as some of you know, based on my recent ramblings on about mountain fruit in Napa/Sonoma) Cab was noticeably favored, with the freshness and pop of the blue fruits, and added structure of the mountain growth. Signature D should be renamed Structure D as it was crazy big in the mouth - massive tannic structure, a real departure from the other wines offered. Overall these wines seem to be a good bargain, and Jason Joyce does a great job as winemaker.

Lunch was at Daou, on their patio, with a cheese and charcuterie plate. I’ll start with the latter, as the plate we enjoyed was absolutely first class - the combinations they provided, and the quality and variety of the meats and cheeses make the visit worthwhile…until you get to the wines…unfortunately for us, the only wine that we even enjoyed a small amount is the '15 Estate Sauvignon Blanc. We tried the '14 Estate Cab, the '14 Soul of a Lion (probably the best of the reds, but still stylistically not our choice, as it was quite hot-climate in character), '16 Reserve Chardonnay, '13 Reserve Zinfandel, , '15 Eye of the Falcon, and '15 Seventeen Forty - nothing of note. Just not our style, which is odd, as I’ve long been anti-hot climate wines, but normally Jen is a bit of a fan, depending on the wine. The site is gorgeous, and the food is as well, but I just didn’t like the wines at all. Nearly all were lacking acid, nose of heat and alcohol, and no appreciable difference in terms of varietals or winemaking style.

Our next visit was to the new facility at Justin, whereas our last time visiting (probably 5 years ago?) was at what is now the ‘Wine Society Lounge’ for club members only. Now that Justin is corporate owned, they apparently decided a smart move would be to go with the Temecula-style tasting, whereby you get ‘tickets’ for your tastings. Sigh. In their case, you get a little paper doily that goes on your stem, and when you request a wine, they mark that checkbox off on the paper doily. Quite disappointing, and we couldn’t help but have that experience alter our opinions of the wines, which was interesting, showcasing that the experience you have when tasting often does amplify your overall thoughts on the wines themselves. The wines were treated as checklists, and while we sat outside, and it was pleasant weather, the experience was sterile, and frankly sucked. The staff members were not at all knowledgable about the wines, as when I asked questions about blending or fruit source they clearly stumbled through and made up stories.

Our last visit - to Lone Madrone - was a fantastic one, tied with Calcareous, and showcases the polar opposite experience of Justin’s corporate b.s. - here, the tasting room staff member (Marguerite) was incredibly personable, knowledgable, and considerate. It was a family-style, casual tasting room with an experience that matched it. By my count, they have 26 wines they produce, which is extraordinary. The wines I was particularly pleased with were the '15 Grenache Blanc, '15 Oveja (50% Picpoul Blanc, 50% Grenache Blanc), '13 Nebbiolo (fantastic structure on this wine, even though it’s made in a style that is for more nearer-term drinking, versus…) '10 Bollo, which is barrel-aged much longer prior to release. Was a treat to taste these two next to one another and see how both the vintage and the oak treatment changes the wine. Both excellent. My two favorites of the day were '13 Mouvedre and '13 Tannat, and I don’t think I’ve EVER had a highlight wine be Tannat, so that was my 2nd pleasant surprise of the trip (along with the Calcareous Chardonnay)

Sorry my notes aren’t more specific, but these tastings are more intended (for me) to be experiential, with a dose of ‘what is this winery’s wines like?’ thrown in. I like to highlight the good and bad, both in experience and wines tasted, so it gives folks who are considering visits at any of these places a little prelude of what to expect.

1 Like

Todd: Sorry you had such a bad experience at Justin. I’ve probably been there ten times over the years and had sworn never to go back. I was out in that area a year ago, decided to stop, and had an extremely good tasting. I looked back at my notes and rated it an “A.” There were limos in the parking lot, etc. but I got lucky with the pourer who was very nice and well informed about the wines and Paso in general. I ended up buying a half case of whites. Go figure.

I’m with you there on Justin. The tasting experience there before they went corporate, in their old facility was always fun and I enjoyed the wines. The tasting experience sucks now and maybe it has colored the way I feel about the wine but I stopped buying it after my last tasting experience 2 years ago. Dao has never agreed with my palate.

Like others have already said, its a shame about Justin. In 2011 we stayed for two nights in the room that is over by the winery and it was an awesome experience. In the morning, I’d make a pot of coffee and fill up a cup as we went out to talk to the cellar rats as they were getting ready for the day. On the first day one of the assistant winemakers came over and I thought at first he was going to ask us to let his folks get to work but instead he talked us through the days tasks that they had for that day. We hung around for about 45 minutes before finally getting out of the way. After that first morning, everyone would wave and wish us a good morning or goodbye at the end of the day, including Justin who would ride his bike down to the office from his house farther back in the vineyard.

The tasting room was still laid back and friendly at the time with Sonny greeting most of the visitors.

This was shortly after the sale and we asked a lot of people in both the tasting room and the winery about what had changed. At that time they said nothing much except the former winemaker had left. It seemed The plan was to keep it the way it had always been but you could sense that there was some concern that it wouldn’t last. It’s a shame they changed things.

Todd, is the ‘13 Lone Madrone Neb ready? I have a bottle pulled for tonight, but wasn’t sure if I should open or wait a couple years.

Yeah, it’s rather approachable - the '10 really showed the extended aging next to the '13, which was obviously more tightly structured.

Regarding Calcareous the guy that mover there, built, and owned it passed away awhile ago and I think his two daughters took over.

Really cool read, Todd. And timely! My wife just qualified for USTA tennis nationals again in March, so she is headed to Palm Springs for a week. If my March trial settles, I will come join her. Lone Madrone sounds fun. And funny enough, the Tannat was my favorite wine at Tablas Creek last time that I visited.

So for this snobby AFWE Euro-phile, top recos on the wineries for me to hit? Chris and I are thinking of driving up the coast after her tournament, staying in Paso Robles overnight.

I’m a big fan of Law and I’ve put away a few to age. The only downside is that they haven’t been around very long so the oldest I have is a 2012. Scott Hawley does a great job making the wine, in no doubt helped by the Law’s no holds barred spending spree on their winery. I liked Scott’s winemaking chops at his own label, Torrin, as well. Calcareous has some pretty good stuff but I have yet to find the consistency to prompt me sign up to buy their wines. The view from their tasting room equals or exceeds Daou. I went to a wine dinner hosted by Pavillions and Fin’s featuring Daou. They served a Rosè that my wife liked a lot and a fairly high scoring Cab and their “Soul of a Lion” (they offered a tiny taste of this one). The “Soul of the Lion” was good but I’m not sure it was worth the cost. We go up to Paso fairly often and enjoy the area a lot.

I would not say any of the wines from Law, Daou or Calcareous would seem to appeal to a true AFWE palate per se, but many are pretty well balanced, well structured and delicious.

1 Like

Based on my experience Paso and Walla Walla are in a contest to see which one can be designated AFWE hell. [cheers.gif]

Opened the ‘13. This is excellent! Lots of CA sunshine, but very clearly Nebbiolo. Delicious.

I’d buy more of this, for sure.

The former Justin winemaker Kevin Sass is at Halter Ranch. I’m a bit surprised Halter Ranch is not making a blend similar to Isosceles how successful that is for Justin.

http://www.halterranch.com/the-ranch/people.php

Yes, I was amazed at the spending at Law…and to think the founder was a geologist. Guess I’m in the wrong field!

Happy I didn’t steer you wrong! To me, it was more traditional Nebbiolo in character than what I’ve had in the Santa Barbara region

This was my first CA Neb, actually, so my only comparison is to the Old World.

Interesting, what’s the cost?

No idea, but I went to buy some and it’s no longer available on their website. Their wines seem to run $40-$60.

Edit: this bottle came from a wine club my FIL gave me for Xmas. All Paso wines, usually good, but nothing that jumps out. This jumped out and was gooooood.

Daou has been getting big scores in the mags. I was very skeptical with the high ABV’s.

I have the price sheet as given to me at the tasting room. $28.00/bottle ($22.40 wine club price)

Damn. Now, I’m really bummed it’s not available.