Fabian was great. He met us in the tasting room and actually did the tasting himself, super great guy. Then we toured around the winery barrel tasting. Extremely informative.
Fabian told a great story, here's the short version. He was in Alba, Piedmont on his honeymoon eating dinner in a restaurant and the owner was chatting him up and mentioned he was a winemaker. Owner points over to a guy and says that a big importer from the USA right there (Domain something) They make introductions and the importer tells the restaurant owner "This guy makes the best Sauvignon Blanc in the United States". They ended up staying all night and opening lots of bottles together. Awesome.
BTW - I would only put Gamble ahead of Brander for Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2016 Brander Cabernet Franc - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/12/2018)
I believe these vines were planted in 1975 and on their own root stock. Rare, I'm sure. Very nice wine with excellent structure. Needs a few more years to integrate. Medium plus toasted oak and dark cherry.
- 2016 Brander Cabernet Sauvignon Los Olivos Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/12/2018)
Medium opaque. Spicy plum aroma. Medium acid and fine small tannins. A hint of cherry at the finish. Atypical of classic Cabernet but decent. Interesting 13.5 ABV, how do they do that in Los Olivos? Pick early I guess.
- 2016 Brander Cuvée Natalie - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/12/2018)
Citrus aromas with medium plus acidity. Grapefruit and tart lemon rind flavors. Very good and nice value. We purchased a couple.
- 2016 Brander Sauvignon Blanc au Naturel - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/12/2018)
This is done in all stainless and is reflected in the level of acidity and grip. Plenty of lemon rind on the attack followed by grapefruit and tropical notes. The finish is very long. This is an excellent wine.
- 2016 Brander Sauvignon Gris Los Olivos Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (2/12/2018)
A bit of honey on the nose. Medium levels of acid and good balance. Light bodied. A gentler version of a Sauvignon Blanc.
- 2017 Brander Rosé - USA, California, Central Coast, Los Olivos District (2/12/2018)
I think this was just release the morning we tasted. Light pink color. Cherry core and peach edges. Good mineral/chalk notes. 2/3 Merlot - 1/3 Cabernet Sauvignon. Not your typical rose blending grapes. Just Okay.