Favorite Barbaresco and Barolo normale bottlings

The recent threads on favorite AOC Chablis and Burgundy, along with a recent, very nice 2014 Produttori Barbaresco, has me wondering what everyone’s go-to normale level Barbaresco and Barolo wines are.

My favorites are Produttori Barbaresco, Vajra Albe and Vietti’s Castiglione. What others should I be trying?

I really like the basic Brovia Barolo.

I like Marcarini Brunate.

Oddero’s basic Barolo was rocking in 2013.

Burlotto’s Acclivi, which is one step up from their normale, was also outstanding in '13. And the base Barolo is almost always strong.

That’s a single-vineyard, not a normale.

G. Fenocchio makes a great reasonably priced Barolo. The Produttori is my go-to for nebbiolo however as it’s more readily available in CA.

I think its pretty hard to beat Produttori normale, especially dollar for dollar. Brovia showed up on LastBottle a few times during the last marathon, which was a pretty good treat.

Yeah you can get Fenocchio’s SVD’s at basically normale pricing.

Burlotto’s Acclivi used to be available in that range but it’s destined for higher (Riserva) status

I’ve tended to squirrel mine away for future enjoyment, but amongst the few that I have had young, the Azelia Normale has been rather tasty and well priced.

Of the more recent bottlings, Roccalini’s Barbaresco 2013 blew me away, big time. And also a real steal, priced approximately the same as Produttori’s normale.

Rivella Serafino’s Barbaresco 2012 was another stunner.

True, though at $34-ish it’s certainly competing with many normale Barolo.

I like the Fontanafredda and Mauro Molino Barolos for $33 and $28, respectively. I would probably never have sought out either one, and only gave them a test because they are frequently in stock at Costco in Dallas. Costco also frequently carries the Marcarini (Brunate and/or La Serra), but I’ve never been a fan of these, and in particular the last couple I’ve tried (from hot vintages, admittedly) were hot, alcoholic messes. I find both of these to be a lot more expressive than I’ve ever experienced with the Produttori normale Barbaresco, and are in the same price range…

I’m impressed no-one has said Bartolo Mascarello!

FWIW, during a recent visit to Produttori, they told me “we don’t call it a normale, it’s our classico”

Haha, good one Ian!

Agree on the Produttori, but the Vajra Albe is not much different in price and gives you a Barolo to have along with the Barbaresco.

Are you really seeing Brunate at $34ish? I don’t even see the Serra at that price.

had a ’64 Gaja Barolo at a wine dinner on Saturday that was really pretty splendid –
lovely core of sweet fruit that developed about threequarters the way back on the palate,
quite elegant – my blind guess was 70 or 71…

I am really loving the 2011 Fratelli Barale Barolo.

I enjoyed the 2010 Fenocchio Barolo. I had forgotten that I had tried it about two years ago. It looks like the group think on CT is pretty positive regarding Fenocchio but that Galloni doesn’t seem to be a fan. Pat Burton’s thread says it is in the traditional camp. I’ll try another bottle as the 2010 is still available at a local store.

I’ll search for some of the others as well. Thanks for the suggestions.

My vote would go to Massolino

Runner up would be Marengo

Both great value in Blighty

This was my thinking exactly. As there is no “normale” from Marcarini and Brunate (and La Serra) is priced like the basic bottlings of many other good producers I feel like it fits this thread just fine. I understood that the OP is first and foremost looking for good quality with a reasonable price tag.