Birth Year Wines: 1985

My wife and I (who share the same birthday - weird, I know), will turn 40 in 2025. After much negotiation, I have been granted permission to start shopping for 85’s in anticipation of surviving to see that birthday. [cheers.gif] I know I’m a ways out on this, but I want to get started understanding what I should be looking for in making an acquisition here and there over the coming years.

My own wine experience only goes back to the early 00’s, which is when I became “wine-aware.” So, I’m hoping for some tips on regions/wines to check out that are somewhat available and not cost-prohibitive. I would define “cost-prohibitive” as $200+. I’d like to put maybe a case together. I understand from my research so far that there may be Bordeaux from 85 that would be good candidates to be drinking well at 40. We tend to drink more new world than old world, but that has shifted to more of a 70/30 split rather than the 90/10 it was in the recent past.

Just looking at wines I’ve had recently, 1985 Cayrou Cahors and Olga Raffault Chinon Perrieres shouldn’t be too expensive and should have no problem drinking well in 2025. I recently had a magnum of Laurel Glen that was fantastic and a Gruaud Larose was drinking well as well.

1985 was a good year in most wine regions including Piedmont, Burgundy, Bordeaux, and Napa/Sonoma. Generally, it seems to have produced relatively soft wines. A recent tasting of 85 Barolo let me think it is time to drink up all but the biggest of these wines. Bordeaux seems to be a little longer lasting. I recently had an 85 Cos d’Estournel that was singing and showing no sign of decline.

1985 was well regarded in Bordeaux, Burgundy, Piedmont, and California (i.e Napa) so you should have many good choices. Under $200 though makes things harder, especially for Piedmont and Burgundy where (nicely age-able) older bottles’ prices have gone through the roof.

Bordeaux: I’ve recently had Lagrange (St. Julien) and Pichon Comtesse de Lalande from 1985 and enjoyed both a lot. They should continue to age well. Others worth looking for are Lynch Bages, La Conseillante (higher end of your price range), and Talbot, Canon, Grand Puy Lacoste (more affordable). I’d expect you should have a lot of other good choices from Bordeaux and others will chime in here. You’re also probably going to have to get comfortable with auctions because that’s where these older bottles are mostly hiding these days.

One question – do you like well aged wine? They definitely have very different flavor profiles than young wines. Maybe worth trying some before betting on something to make your 40th birthday special!

The challenge is not finding but picking from all the good wine made in 1985.
However, with seven years to go you might want to consider going for 6 Magnums instead of 12 btls.
The odds of success increase considerably.

I agree with 1985 Pichon Lalande and Lynch Bages.
I’ve had both from Magnum in the past year or so.
Both were great but certainly not young.

There were great 1985 red Burgundies but given the market for them you’d be lucky
to get a village wine for $200.

I haven’t had a 1985 Rhone in years but it’s worth checking out notes on the big-guys.
Beaucastel has a great track record.
Your money may go farther but in those days most Rhones were rustic so you need to enjoy that profile.

Good Luck

Pat

I purchased an 85 Dominus for around $130 at auction last year. Drank it not long after, and it was great!

Agree with the magnums suggestion too.

My birth year, as well. Watching this thread. :slight_smile:

Yes! By way of example, we recently had a 1990 Heitz Martha’s that blew us away. Was very alive but had a great “forest floor” component to it. And 1990 Napa wasn’t even that great of vintage, from what I have read.

My fave hands down is the 85 Cos, which I prefer over 86,88 and 89.

This wine hits the target for me and I actively purchase/back fill.

Cheers
Del

Don’t be afraid to try Bordeaux from lower in the hierarchy. Meyney and Gloria have still been good recently. I’m sure there are many more. These should be well below $100 when they’re available.

I would keep an eye on Winebid and search on the vintage.

While I’d also go for Bordeaux 1985 was also not bad for Port and Loire wines. Depending on where you’re located you might want to just check availability at your favorite in state retailers.

Well, I’m happy that 1985 is generally regarded as a nice vintage! Based on the collective suggestions so far, it looks like I need to spend the time and get a better handle on Bordeaux.

Champagne, Port, German as well.

1985 is still a very good Bordeaux year, and I’ve had a lot of them over the years and some more recently. First Growth’s will break your budget, and so might my #1 – 1985 Leoville Las Cases ($250+?), but after LLC there are some very good ones still – Leoville Barton ($150 auction?), Gruaud Larose, the aforementioned Pichon Lalande, Lynch Bages, Cos d’Estournel, but I think you should try to stick with seemingly sound bottles of classified growths such as these, and shy away from Cru Bourgeois considering the 33 year age. The above are all mature, though the LLC may go another decade or more. Good luck.

1985 was an excellent Port vintage. You should target either Fonseca or Gould Campbell.

I attended a tasting of 74 and 85 CA cabs a couple of months ago. The 85s were both exceptional and had many years ahead of them. Most will be attainable at your price point

Cool. Did you you have any producers that stood out to you at that tasting?

Thinking maybe I’d better rethink the budget and drop the quantity in favor of higher quality…

The 1985 Ports are a steal at their current prices.

Love it, out-of-the box thinking here on wines with age. The 1985 Olga Raffault Les Picasses Chinon is smokin, and WineSearcher has it in NTY for $80. This is a unique and killer wine to explore. Raffault, in particular the '82, '89 and '90, that got me on a Chinon kick back in the mid-90s.