Revenge of the Pro Flavor Brigade

Why is there so much Burgundy for sale at auction?

• No one actually drinks it.
  • Everyone buys a case so they think they are part of the elite, then they try a bottle and sell the remaining eleven.
  • The Burgundy producers import so much Algerian Syrah for blending that the amount of Burgundy produced is actually twice the amount of the local production and they have to hide the excess through auction sales
  • Chaptalization increase volume exponentially so it has to be sold somewhere
  • There is a massive shift in taste caused by global warming and no one likes Burgundy any more
  • No, stupid, global warming is making pinot taste like Hermitage, so the AFWEs are all selling it and switching to Loire Cab Franc
  • Other, please explain in the thread below.

0 voters

I have a question. I often scour the Internet auctions to find interesting bottles to snatch at a low price just to experiment. I always have to wade though hundreds of bottles of Gerard Domain Berthold Comte de Boillot Roty Meo Premier Cru Clos de la Mer de Merde just to find a real bottle worth considering. My question is this:

Why is there always so much Burgundy for sale at auction?

Doesn’t anyone actually drink the stuff or do you just trade it back and forth just to prop up the price, like Bitcoin?

yeah, don’t tell anyone, but it’s like fruitcake. There are only a few in the world and we trade them, never actually drinking them.

Revenge is sweet!

People think Burgundy is a money maker.

I just drink the stuff. Sure as hell better than Saxum.

Most people assume foreign/exotic is better. They do it with cars, wine, watches, etc.

Ok Bourgogne is the most flavorful wine. We knew already :slight_smile:

and chaptalisation doesn’t change volume, simply prolongs fermentation and bumps alcohol level.

Prices have escalated tremendously, so people are flipping the wines they have.

I think a lot of people buy Burgundy without having enough understanding of the wines (and how long some of them take to come around), must happen a lot to people who hear its been a great burgundy vintage and buy a few high scoring wines and put them away for ten years and then try one and wonder what all the fuss is about

Plenty of hyped high-production wines get flipped, so why is it a surprise on the small production side?

I was seriously talking about volume, in a silly format. I agree that Screagle and SQN get flipped, but it alays seems to me that there are many more lots of Burgundy for sale than other regions, relative to production. For example, at the current Acker Internet auction, there are more Burgundy lots than Bordeaux lots, and we know that Bordeaux produces orders of magnitude more bottles of wine than Burgundy. There are 1059 Bottles of Red Burgundy for sale at the Acker Internet Auction this month, while only 1018 bottles of Red Bordeaux. I believe that is not an unusual result based upon a years of flipping through auction catalogs.

Well, us AFWE types can’t use our excess on pancakes or over ice, so more gets mixed with all those fakes at auction.

Maybe because burgundy are the wines for which there is the greatest demand, so those are the ones that the auction houses are most willing to sell.

Most people assume foreign/exotic is better. They do it with cars, wine, watches, etc.

Unless they’re foreign/exotic themselves. Of course, I don’t know how exotic Burgundy is.

I think people sell it because they can. If I buy a wine for $50 and you offer me $500, I’ll probably let you have it. There’s a lot of wine available.

It comes down to being a Burgundy drinker or a Burgundy speculator.

Bottles or lots? I wonder if part of it is the fact that there are just so many more bottlings from Burgundy. With Bordeaux you’re talking about 50 SKUs that dominate the auctions. With Burgundy you have hundreds, even thousands, of producer/vineyard combinations, sometimes dozens per producer. That creates lots of buying and selling opportunities. Of course, this also creates an illusion of scarcity; there may not be much of any one wine, but there’s a good amount in total.

Probably this, assuming the premise is accurate.

Maybe high end gavel auctions are different, but if you look at K&L or Winebid right now, there are more California wines than Burgundy:

K&L Auctions
California: 355 bottles
Burgundy: 136

Winebid
California: 3636
Burgundy: 758

Jay - I think your premise is just wrong. I don’t know what the story is with the Acker items (their website doesn’t show any catalogs now, so I don’t know what you’re basing your OP on), but for any given auction, the mix is dependent on the particular cellars that are included. Maybe one Burgundy buyer wanted to monetize some stuff this month.

I just quickly scanned the online catalog for Sotheby’s Feb. 24 auction in NY, and the breakdown there is more in line with Alan’s numbers and rebuts your premise:

Bordeaux: 170 lots
Burgundy: 83 lots
California: 137 lots
(“Mixed case” lots not counted, as that would have taken too much time, but they seemed to be about evenly distributed within the regional groupings. I didn’t include Sauternes in Bordeaux. There were Champagne, Spanish and Italian wines, too – lots of Solaia, in particular.)

And here’s the thing you’ll love, Jay. Guess which Californians are being dumped? Screagle, Colgin, Abreu and – gulp! (or drum roll, depending on your sympathies) – SQN!

Do you think the sellers just decided these didn’t like these wines?

A very high proportion of the Burgundy lots were DRC, and there’s a high proportion of first growths among the Bordeaux. Overall, it looks like investors who bought trophy wines and are now cashing out.

I’d imagine the long and weird (to outsiders) Burgundy domaine names are extra painful to wade through.