Your favorite AOC Chablis producer?

Who is your favorite AOC Chablis producer?

• 1. Fevre Champs Royaux ( purchased fruit I believe)
  • 2. Domaine Fevre estate AOC ( estate)
  • 3. Billaud Simon
  • 4. Samuel Billaud
  • 5. Dauvissat ( hard to find for less than $60)
  • 6. Raveneaux ( hard to find for less than $120)
  • 7. Tribute ( around $35) has some link with Dauvissat
  • 8. Savary
  • 9. Grossot
  • 10. Christiam Moreau
  • 11. Jean Paul Droin
  • 12. Louis Michel
  • 13. Lavantureux
  • 14. Daniel Dampt
  • 15. Laroche
  • 16. Malandes
  • 17. Temblay
  • 18. Piuze
  • 19. Pinson
  • 20. You left off the best one all…

0 voters

One of things I love about AOC Chablis is all of the terroir driven character and signature saline minerality. Great on its own or with food and lower Alc and more zip then most other Chardonnays. And, unless you need a big name its hard to pay more than $25 for it. One of the best values in wine, bar none. What are you favorite producers? I tend to drink a decent amount of the, purchased fruit, sub $20 Fevre Champs Royaux, Billaud Simon & Samuel Billaud. Some Louis Michel & Christian Moreau now and again. Occasionally, I step up to the Domaine Fevre Estate AOC too when I can find it. After than I buy random onesy / twosy from Envoyer offers. I’ve never drank an AOC Chablis that disappointed me. How about you?

This is my favorite region for white wine. Lots of good choices above and I also like Piqc Dessus La Carriere.

Tribut (less the e). And Duplessis deserves a mention on the list.

Just clarifying, you are talking about ‘basic’ Chablis, ie not 1er or Grand Cru? I assume you’re referring to ‘basic’ ’
Favourite’ is a bit ambiguous in terms of QPR / availability versus absolute quality. I voted for the best (for me) that I can get fairly easily here (Samuel Billaud), versus QPR. some of the better names we see the 1er Cru here but not the basic Chablis. Second vote would have been Drouhin-Vaudon (in most vintages) which is in the general list of the KGBO.

Great topic for a poll. And yes Chablis is great value.

At least until now. 2015 prices in Ontario seem to have really popped up. And most of the lower level Chablis I’ve tasted so far have been less than thrilling, ‘easy’, to be polite. Not a patch on 2014.

I’m hopeful that will not be reflected in the better crus. Reviews seem to be generally good though. I have S Billaud MdT and Secher waiting patiently. May try an exploratory bottle later this year.

When I say AOC I think of Chablis that is a step above Petite Chablis but ranked lower than 1er or Grand Cru and usually not vineyard specific like the 1ers & Grands. I own and enjoy all levels but I have a special fascination and admiration for AOC.

Option 20. Servin. Consistently good, most of the grapes for the Village wine come from the former Premier Cru vineyard Les Pargues.

Jean Collet. Romain has taken over from his father and is doing great work. While the AOC Chablis is lovely the 1ers are great QPR as well.

Still, Dauvissat is probably my favorite.

They made some nice wines back in the day too.

Dauvissat is a pretty clear winner, but it behaves more like a Dauvissat PC, so not really a fair competition. Better after a few years. I’m still drinking some 2004.

If you want more of the fresh, crisp, young chablis character, then prob the Fevre Domaine.

for value, and I point to 2014 now, look to la Chablisienne, an amazing coop, founded in 1923.

Pattes Loup. I bought the '14 for $26. Crazy good. Unfortunately, Mother Nature has not been kind the last couple years (very little wine).

+1 on Collet. I prefer the basic Chablis over the 1ers (at least for the 2014s) - much less oak influence.

I’ll have to try the basic Chablis. The 1ers haven’t impressed me because the few I have tried were too oaky and round.

Yes, Pattes Loup (Thomas Pico) is a good one. Also Alice and Olivier De Moor.

RT

+1. Especially for dependable QPR. Not sure how I forgot it.

I voted based on value (an AOC Chablis that is priced like grand crus of other producers should be viewed vs. grand crus, not AOC Chablis). So, I voted for Christian Moreau, although I could have voted for Moreau-Naudet.