Dipping our toes in Oregon Pinot (not literally)

As the title implies we’re looking to broaden our experience with Oregon Pinot producers. Our only has experience so far has been with Thomas and PGC (Berserker Cuvee), both of which were very enjoyable. After doing some research here I’m planning on ordering the following 2015’s to get a flavor for some other producers:

Cameron Clos Electrique
Big Table Farm Sunnyside
Arterberry Maresh Maresh
Walter Scott Temperance

Input on other “must try” Oregon Pinots would be very much appreciated!

The recommendations I’ve received from this board have steered me very well thus far [cheers.gif]

Evesham Wood
Antica Terra
Domaine Serene
Evening Land
Beaux Freres
Bergstrom
Resonance
Penner Ash

Definitely a lot of good pinot in Oregon, and a variety of styles of pinot.

Goodfellow is a great AFWE Pinot (and I mean AFWE in the nicest way possible).

A lot will depend on what style you like - bigger/fruitier or AFWE. If the former, some of Josh’s suggestions fit that bill.

If AFWE, you’re off to a good start with your list. I’ll second Corey’s Goodfellow recommendation (esp Durant, Whistling Ridge and Heritage), and recommend Kelley Fox Maresh and Momtazi, Johan, Walter Scott Seven Springs and Sojourner, Cameron Abbey Ridge, Brick House (any of them), Belle Pente Murto and Estate Reserve (although these MAY show bigger due to the 2015 vintage, have not tried any yet), Evesham Wood Temperance, Crowley Four Winds and La Colina, Eyrie Old Vines, Biggio Hamina.

In between the two styles, try J Christopher (I’m partial to Charlie’s and Sandra Adele).

If you want to try Pinot grown outside the WV using the Swiss clone, try Analemma’s Atavus bottling from the WA side of the Columbia River Gorge. Try their Oak Ridge bottle to compare and contrast. Their rose of Pinot and Blanc de Noir are also very nice.

You can do very well supporting the Oregon producers who regularly participate here:

Goodfellow
Biggio-Hamina
Patricia Green
Vincent
Longplay
Johan
Walter Scott

Scott gave some sound advice. Personally, I wouldn’t spend money on Dom Serene, Antica Terra, or Penner Ash…but you might like their styles so it probably doesn’t hurt to experiment.

You’ll pay a bit more than average for Resonance, Beaux Freres and Bergstrom. Again, they might be fun to try.

I’ll add Cristom to the list because their whole cluster style is unique and Steve Doerner is a WV legend. Bethel Heights is another fairly neglected WV producer (on this BB it seems) with a long history of making tasty wines. Scott already touched on Belle Pente and Eyrie…definitely try some.

RT

St. Innocent

Some very good suggestions above. I’ll add that I’ve liked some of the pinots from Brooks (esp. the Janus) very much in the past.

Big Table Farm

Airlie
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRjnO0VAWee/

A Blooming Hill
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRzSUWlgyDK/

My favorites:

Vincent
Goodfellow
Crowley
Franny Beck
Thomas

You have a great start list, Jake. I’d add 2015 Evesham Wood Cuvee J and Brick House Dijonnaise.

If you want to try something complete off the beaten path, more Germanic than Burgundian, Teutonic makes some very cool Pinot.

I like that list. I visited Big Table Farm for the first time last year and couldn’t leave without walking out with a few bottles (paid for!). Very rustic farm with dogs and pigs and chickens running around. Tasting was inside the house with Brian Marcy pouring his 2015s - quite the antithesis of the big corporate tasting room. I really liked the Sunnyside and the Wirtz. Also tried a very interesting white blend of Riesling, Pinot Gris and Gewurtztraminer.

Cristom is my favorite Oregon Pinot and here are a few others that i have enjoyed that have not yet been mentioned:

Belle Pente
Eyrie
White Rose
Argyle

I like Biggio Hamina, Goodfellow, St. Innocent, Walter Scott, Seven of Hearts, Anderson Family, Evesham Wood, and Hamacher.

Corey, thank you, and everyone else as well.

The producers listed are a great group, and contain many/most of my favorites. I would add Westrey, Johan(the 2011s last summer were fabulous), PGC Old Vine Estate(I like most PGC wines but OVE in particular), and would add Crowley for a pure fruit style, Domaine Divio for a newcomer, Dom. Droughin for benchmark, and double down on Kelley Fox wines. Bethel Heights Flat Block is still a must, along with Cristom Marjorie, and Clos Eletrique Blanc.

I am quite happy drinking all the mentioned AFWE wines. Need to get some Brick House to see what the fuss is all about. Bethel Heights was the wine that reintroduced me into appreciating WV PN and the Eola Hills is now my favorite AVA while I enjoy all the others just about equally. It’s a fun ride. Sort of late to the party with Biggio Hamina, but Todd is making some fine wines that are go to for me now, the price was right on some older ones. Goodfellow/Matello, Longplay, Vincent, Cameron and lately Bow & Arrow have been to my liking. Teutonic is probably the most austere AFWE wine and I love them. Walter Scott and PGC command a lot of respect as well. [cheers.gif]

I would add Winderlea to the list as well.

JD

Marcus it’s always so hard to do a quick hit list. Inevitably, excellent options are inadvertently omitted. Definitely a yes for Westrey…very hard to beat the value. DDO is certainly a WV maintstay…and yes Kelley is making lovely/elegant Pinots.

I know nothing about Divio?

RT

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!

Next steps for me are to find a couple retailers that have most of these (fortunately Sec Wines seems to have a bunch) and assemble a mixed case or two. It will probably be a month or so before it warms up enough to ship here to MN but once the wines arrive I will post updates as we march our way through Oregon!

In the meantime I will see if any local shops have anything that’s been mentioned and maybe grab a bottle or two.

Thanks again

Don’t have anything new to add to what has been mentioned. My most consistent recent purchases:

Thomas
Cameron
Arterberry Maresh (don’t sleep on the Dundee Hills…it’s a great value punches above it’s weight IMO)
Walter Scott
Goodfellow (WV another great value)
Eyrie
Brick House

I’ll second the support for Bethel Heights (S. East block for me) and Crowley, although they don’t absorb as large a portion of my recent purchases. Plenty others mentioned here too that I like but don’t/aren’t able to purchase much of.

See below for other retailers in Portland I’ve used in the last couple years that carry most of what is listed above, although availability of course fluctuates.

L&E
Vinopolis
North Valley Wine
Mt Tabor Fine wines (have to call)
Wizer’s (have a web site to browse that’s somewhat up to date, but have to call or email)

Mike