2010 Château Capbern-Gasqueton - questions on this great QPR

Opened a bottle last night to enjoy with my #BDIX Flannery Wagyu Pave - great pairing with a vigorous 7 minute decant in the VSpin.

Tremendous QPR - great weight, silky mouthfeel, the fruit was a bit tame and I could use a tad more sweetness in the fruit, but the wine is very structured, very well made. I had a glass prior to the decant and knew the aeration would help.

My question is…is Capbern-Gasqueton the same as Capbern? I know there was a sale in 2012, but not sure if it was a change in label, but it’s the same wine, or what the story is, and I know we have great Bordeaux experts here to help. I want more of this wine, but I only find Chateau Capbern lately (and have a case of 2014)

Same estate, they dropped the ‘Gasqueton’ for ease of naming

If I remember correctly Jancis Robinson praised this wine of this vintage very highly. Subscribers could easily find the corresponding article and confirm (or disprove) my recollection.

Thank you both

Todd… It’s a super value from Saint Estephe.

I should have known to go to Wine Cellar Insider first - I use it often, and likely will donate

I know that I bought some of this stuff based on your recommendation, but for the life of me, cannot recall the years. Will go dig around. Nice to see all the positive comments on a very affordable Bordeaux.

Timely that you should post this, as the 2014 Capbern performed very well indeed in the “Southwold” tasting yesterday. One of the higher-scoring Saint Estephes and an amazing QPR.

Absolutely - though the Total Wine Futures program, I have a case of '14 Capbern at $18.33 per, all in

Todd

As you liked the 2014, you should pick up the 2016. It is a contender for the best Left Bank value of the 2016 vintage. You can see my notes using the link in this thread.

Yeah, I wanted to take the plunge with futures on that one, but didn’t, as I had a case of the '14 - now I wish I have, but probably will have a chance at retail, as they’ve already started trickling in.

It is still cheap. The 16, which is a much better wine than the 2014, is about $21 from K&L, and a few dollars more from Winex, in your hood.

Another Left Bank value, and it’s better than Capbern is the 2015 Siran. You should be all over that. These are real wines of character and distinction.

The '15 is available here locally for around $30. Have you dared try that vintage yet?

Jeff -

Can you elaborate on the Siran? I have a soft spot for this Chateau, but probably because it is the very first winery that I visited in Bordeaux. It was my first Bordeaux tasting, just right before my very good buddy Rolland got involved. :wink: Was a charming, rather rustic country wine at the time, but even in 1995 during my visit, you could taste the entire range going back to 1982. Loved it. I understand Bouard is now involved, how would you describe the wine style? The pricing is awesome, only $30 for the 2016 futures.

Hi Brandon,
The 2015 shows glimpses of a fruit profile akin to the 2014 but currently is very tight and is not the sexy pleasure that the 2014 gives in buckets. I will revisit this wine next week at a local event.

I have a 2014 with your name on it next time our paths cross.

Cheers!
Del

Robert, I think you will like the wine. even though it’s made from ripe fruit :slight_smile:

I think my notes for the wine describes it well. I am not sure what else I can add.

You can read them here - Learn all about Chateau Siran Margaux, Complete Guide

The 2015 Capbern is much more dilute than the 14 and 16. Both those vintages are

Capbern has been improving in recent vintages - 2014, 2015 and 2016 are all good values. Millesima has the wines and recent reviews listed. I purchased the 2015 Siran, which also received excellent reviews, as did the 2016 Siran. QPR Bordeaux is hard to beat at $20 - $40 per. [cheers.gif] Prices are starting to rise on some. What will 2017 bring… [stirthepothal.gif]