Realm offering live

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tom Chen

Realm offering live

#1 Post by Tom Chen » February 6th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Surprised there hasn't been anything on the board.

One of my favorite wineries.

Offer quite a bit smaller than years past.

From Realm:

These are quite possibly the best wines we’ve produced yet. Sadly, the production volume is down measurably due to poor springtime weather, an uneven crop set, and the ongoing drought. We harvested 30% less fruit in some vineyards compared to a normal year.

Taking my allocation of Dr. Crane and wish listing some Farella. Still thinking about some of the other single vineyards.

Tom

Josh H

Realm offering live

#2 Post by Josh H » February 6th, 2018, 4:01 pm

I was very pleased to be notified that I’ll be getting my first allocation this fall. Can’t wait!
Josh Higgins

Joe B
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#3 Post by Joe B » February 6th, 2018, 4:04 pm

Took To-kalon and Dr Crane. Left the rest. Hitting a wall though at $250 per with tax and shipping
J W@ll @ce

Jake Rubash

Realm offering live

#4 Post by Jake Rubash » February 6th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Going to grab a case of the Fidelio and a single To Kalon. Waffling on the Dr Crane. As Joe said, the cost isn't exactly low...

Phil M
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#5 Post by Phil M » February 6th, 2018, 4:22 pm

In for one bottle each of the Houyi, Dr. Crane and the BTK. This hit the same day as Blankiet - ouch!
Ph!l M@rx

Tom Chen

Realm offering live

#6 Post by Tom Chen » February 6th, 2018, 4:29 pm

Jake Rubash wrote:Going to grab a case of the Fidelio and a single To Kalon. Waffling on the Dr Crane. As Joe said, the cost isn't exactly low...
Agree. It's a lot for a bottle of wine, but in the world of high end CA cabs, I think Dr. Crane is still a relative "bargain." Shafer HSS was $285 last year and I think Dr. Crane is comparable in quality.

BTW: I've been buying Shafer HSS for many years, but I do see a tipping point soon, maybe sooner than later.

Realm does have some lower priced wines I still like quite a bit for their price point, namely Farella and Tempest.

Jake Rubash

Realm offering live

#7 Post by Jake Rubash » February 6th, 2018, 4:41 pm

Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with Realm being one of the top in Napa. Right up there with Maybach and MACDONALD for me. I'm sure I'll end up caving and getting the Crane :)
Tom Chen wrote:
Jake Rubash wrote:Going to grab a case of the Fidelio and a single To Kalon. Waffling on the Dr Crane. As Joe said, the cost isn't exactly low...
Agree. It's a lot for a bottle of wine, but in the world of high end CA cabs, I think Dr. Crane is still a relative "bargain." Shafer HSS was $285 last year and I think Dr. Crane is comparable in quality.

BTW: I've been buying Shafer HSS for many years, but I do see a tipping point soon, maybe sooner than later.

Realm does have some lower priced wines I still like quite a bit for their price point, namely Farella and Tempest.

R. Frankel
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#8 Post by R. Frankel » February 6th, 2018, 4:44 pm

I tasted at Realm last year and continue to be delighted at the consistent excellence of the wines. Mostly I buy the blends but may snag a few Cabs in this offering. I especially appreciate the one week guaranteed allocation!
Rich Frankel

David Crow

Realm offering live

#9 Post by David Crow » February 6th, 2018, 5:01 pm

Has anyone tried the Moonracer? Is it worth the premium over the other single vineyard cabs? Dr. Crane and To Kalon seem to be their most heralded wines so it's interesting they charge more for the Moonracer. I guess you're paying a premium since it's their estate vineyard.

Vince T
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#10 Post by Vince T » February 6th, 2018, 6:08 pm

2013 dr crane was my woty last year!
T s 3 n g

D.Callahan
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#11 Post by D.Callahan » February 6th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Dr. Crane has been my favorite vineyard for Cab for years. Pricing, as with all Beckstoffer vineyards, has done nothing but climb, climb, climb. Realm's offering is at least $50 cheaper than some others I could name so I'll stick with them for a while longer. I just wish production was higher or I was higher on the list as I got 1 Dr. Crane and 1 TK with no wish listings for more.
Dennis Callahan

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#12 Post by MICHAEL C R O M W E L L » February 6th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Allocations were way way down. Finally got Crane, but lower allocations than past years on most everything else. A lot of wishing going on here. Prices are up but these are really great wines.
M i c h a e l C r o m w e l l

Kevin.Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#13 Post by Kevin.Evans » February 6th, 2018, 7:50 pm

I ended up ordering a Dr. Crane, To Kalon and Farella. We're visiting them at the end of February so may add some, if I can. While visiting Denver, found a little wine shop that had three 2014 Bard's and couldn't resist picking one up.

Scott Everson

Realm offering live

#14 Post by Scott Everson » February 7th, 2018, 12:54 am

If I recall, the Farella is $150. Farella's Estate Vineyard Cab is $65. If one were to taste these two wine blind, or double blind, what would the experience be like?

bob poirier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#15 Post by bob poirier » February 7th, 2018, 6:18 am

Took 1 Farella, 1 Houyi and 2 Moonracer, My total allocation less the whites. I will be visiting in March and hope to try the Fidelio and make a decision then.First Cab allocation.

Jake Rubash

Realm offering live

#16 Post by Jake Rubash » February 7th, 2018, 8:24 am

Is anyone biting on the To Kalon Cab Franc mag?

jeffruggels
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#17 Post by jeffruggels » February 7th, 2018, 1:57 pm

yes to realm, no to cab franc

Clint S Q U I E R

Realm offering live

#18 Post by Clint S Q U I E R » February 7th, 2018, 2:28 pm

I'm grabbing the Cab Franc. I think it's a clever riff on To-Kalon magnum only bottlings like Schrader Old Sparky and Carter GTO. Instead of just picking "best barrels" like they already do with Absurd (from all their vineyards) it uses what seems to be a pretty rare planting of Cab Franc from T-K.

Are there any other producers that make a "super wine" from a varietal that's not their "trademark" varietal? The only other one I can think of is SQN's "The Writing on the Wall" which is Petite Sirah.

R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#19 Post by R_Gilbane » February 7th, 2018, 2:49 pm

No offense but the only clever thing about it is that they're actually able to convince people to spend $900 for a bottle of napa cab franc. Seriously it isn't that rare. You can pick up some Detert Cab Franc for under $100 and experience To Kalon vine goodness. More rare is the Detert East Block Cab bottling but that is still far less expensive than what Realm is proposing.
Bobby

Clint S Q U I E R

Realm offering live

#20 Post by Clint S Q U I E R » February 7th, 2018, 3:33 pm

R_Gilbane wrote:No offense but the only clever thing about it is that they're actually able to convince people to spend $900 for a bottle of napa cab franc. Seriously it isn't that rare. You can pick up some Detert Cab Franc for under $100 and experience To Kalon vine goodness. More rare is the Detert East Block Cab bottling but that is still far less expensive than what Realm is proposing.
I'll save you a glass if you go use that same argument in a Burgundy thread and manage to live through the experience [cheers.gif]

R_Gilbane
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#21 Post by R_Gilbane » February 7th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Clint S Q U I E R wrote:
R_Gilbane wrote:No offense but the only clever thing about it is that they're actually able to convince people to spend $900 for a bottle of napa cab franc. Seriously it isn't that rare. You can pick up some Detert Cab Franc for under $100 and experience To Kalon vine goodness. More rare is the Detert East Block Cab bottling but that is still far less expensive than what Realm is proposing.
I'll save you a glass if you go use that same argument in a Burgundy thread and manage to live through the experience [cheers.gif]
I hear you but this is a case where the best To Kalon Cab Franc is actually coming from the Detert East Block. Well, it's the oldest cab franc coming out of To Kalon anyway. Whether or not it's the best is certainly subject to your own opinion and tastes. Not surprisingly, the Detert owned East Block is adjacent to the MacDonald's To Kalon parcel.

With that said, if I had to spend $900 on epxensive Cab Franc, I'm putting those dollars to use picking up a few bottles of a handful of Loire gems. champagne.gif
Bobby

Ledwards
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#22 Post by Ledwards » February 7th, 2018, 7:01 pm

Clint S Q U I E R wrote:I'm grabbing the Cab Franc. I think it's a clever riff on To-Kalon magnum only bottlings like Schrader Old Sparky and Carter GTO. Instead of just picking "best barrels" like they already do with Absurd (from all their vineyards) it uses what seems to be a pretty rare planting of Cab Franc from T-K.

Are there any other producers that make a "super wine" from a varietal that's not their "trademark" varietal? The only other one I can think of is SQN's "The Writing on the Wall" which is Petite Sirah.
Morlet has been making a To Kalon Cab Franc since 2010. Release $250-275 range. Has received a couple of WA100 pts.
Luke

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#23 Post by J.Vizuete » February 7th, 2018, 9:28 pm

First time on SVD list but I didn’t get a Dr Crane allocation and am kind of bummed about it. I’ve tasted old farellas at the vineyard and liked them but no recent releases. Any recommendations between Farella, Houyi and Moonracer? Think you could tell them apart blind?

Please PM me if you don’t want your Dr Crane
John V.

Eric C

Realm offering live

#24 Post by Eric C » February 8th, 2018, 8:03 am

Don’t feel too bad J. Viz...it’s my third go-round on the SVD list and i’ve not been offered a Crane yet or even an option to wishlist it this year. Anyone know how long before you receive a Crane allocation?
Eric Christianson

Maurice Carron

Realm offering live

#25 Post by Maurice Carron » February 8th, 2018, 8:27 am

Added in Feb 2015, this was the first time I had the option on 1x Dr Crane. Option to wishlist last year but none granted.

Michael Fess
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#26 Post by Michael Fess » February 8th, 2018, 8:56 am

I have anyways preferred the Crane to the To Kalon even when they were the only 2 SVD wines. I think Farella was new in the 07 vintage. With the small allocations to most long term members there will be a lot of wishlists request. I was allocated 2 and bought and wish listed 3 more.

Greg Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#27 Post by Greg Smith » February 8th, 2018, 2:03 pm

I was only offered Farella and Houyi and have not had them. Given that they are priced in the same category (and higher for Houyi) than Myriad Elysian, MacDonald, Piper, Dominus, would those who have had it put it solidly into that class?

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#28 Post by MICHAEL C R O M W E L L » February 8th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Maurice Carron wrote:Added in Feb 2015, this was the first time I had the option on 1x Dr Crane. Option to wishlist last year but none granted.
Same timing here. Given low yields did not expect Crane this year but got 1.

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#29 Post by MICHAEL C R O M W E L L » February 8th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Greg Smith wrote:I was only offered Farella and Houyi and have not had them. Given that they are priced in the same category (and higher for Houyi) than Myriad Elysian, MacDonald, Piper, Dominus, would those who have had it put it solidly into that class?
I’ve had both Farella and Houyi. I’d put them well below MacDonald, ahead of, but in the same class as, Myriad Elysian and Piper. Dominus is a different beast entirely but I’d put Realm ahead on price alone. Your palate is your guide and ymmv.

steve hans

Realm offering live

#30 Post by steve hans » February 8th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Ledwards wrote:
Clint S Q U I E R wrote:I'm grabbing the Cab Franc. I think it's a clever riff on To-Kalon magnum only bottlings like Schrader Old Sparky and Carter GTO. Instead of just picking "best barrels" like they already do with Absurd (from all their vineyards) it uses what seems to be a pretty rare planting of Cab Franc from T-K.

Morlet has been making a To Kalon Cab Franc since 2010. Release $250-275 range. Has received a couple of WA100 pts.
The Morlet (Franc Force De La Nature) is pretty spectacular stuff...

Scott Everson

Realm offering live

#31 Post by Scott Everson » February 14th, 2018, 8:20 am

Any wishlist updates ?

JFPelletier
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#32 Post by JFPelletier » February 15th, 2018, 1:11 pm

No update yet for me. Did anyone get their wishlist?

JF

MICHAEL C R O M W E L L
GCC Member
GCC Member

Realm offering live

#33 Post by MICHAEL C R O M W E L L » February 15th, 2018, 2:17 pm

JFPelletier wrote:No update yet for me. Did anyone get their wishlist?

JF
From Realm today

please note that we were unable to grant any wishes for the entire mailing list for the Beckstoffer Dr. Crane in both 750mL and 1.5L formats as well as Beckstoffer To Kalon 750mL bottles due to demand and the smaller vintage size.

But did get 1 Farella 750ml and 1 BTK mag.

R. Mayes

Realm offering live

#34 Post by R. Mayes » February 17th, 2018, 9:32 am

Screagle SB?
R y a n

Return to “Wine Talk”