Has the new shipping bans altered your wine purchases.

I know anecdotally from a couple of people they are not able to buy the wines that they used to. They have less choice pay more and are stuck with giving money to the same companies that have been lobbying for the restrictions.

OTOH living in NY, I have not noticed any real changes, although it has involved some fairly creative shipping solutions.

Yes, definitely. Vinopolis was becoming one of my go tos and they are no longer available as a source for shipping.

It will, and I have no problem with it.

I have too much wine anyway.

Really? Wine Library, K&L, Vinopolis and Martin Steinley all are unable to ship to me in NY. But for the most part these are for recent vintage wines, Mark, whereas you buy old Bordeaux, so perhaps your sources (auction houses? Europe?) have an easier time shipping to NY?

I don’t know about the others you mentioned but Wine Library ships to NY. Check their website.

Is this new? I thought Wine Library received a cease and desist letter from the NY authorities within the last few years.

I receive wine in the District which is so far immune to all this nonsense. But I am not surprised that David has no problems with others having problems because they don’t impact him personally

yes it has affected me. I have addresses in NY, NJ (storage) and FL with a short window of passable shipping. Martin Steinley would only ship to FL no more NY or NJ

Yes. I stopped buying from West Coast retail stores and from Chicago stores that can’t guarantee low cost shipping to NYC or NJ in advance. NJ stores aren’t a problem for me as I store in NJ now.

How are some able to ship and others not able from the same state?

I believe they worked something out. Check their website.

No problems here, but then I buy very little from retail.

The issue is to, not from.

I think he meant, “How are some from the same state able to ship and others not?”

There are retailers who will continue to ship until they receive a cease and desist order. There are also some retailers who will continue to ship even though they got a C&DO, using what ever tools, back doors and ghosts they can think of.

We are small potatoes.
When Texas closed, we lost 100 K annually.
Chicago alone will probably be 50 K annually.
Mississippi will be negligible.

The future is government stores, Bevmo/Total Wine, (which will be owned/controlled by a major distributor), maybe Amazon and about half the retailer based stores that exist now.

We all complain about CA being a high tax state, but look who’s making waves about getting their share of the taxes.

As Samuel Clemens or was it Mark Twain said a few years back, “We have the best politicians money can buy!” [head-bang.gif]

As if this business wasn’t tough enough before

I’ve really dropped all but two out of state vendors. I don’t want to risk stuff hung up in shipping regulatory limbo when its too hot/cold to ship.

At least my tastes so run toward the prosaic and widely available so its not a big deal for me personally, but overall, it sucks and makes the market worse for everyone collectively. Interstate competition still benefits those of us who might use it sparingly - I think it improves service and pricing for everyone.

A reminder: Wine Talk is an open and searchable thread. Even a government employee might be able to conduct a search on “retailers who ship wine to XYZ state.” Not all retailers have updated their websites to indicate they can’t ship to XYZ state. Don’t help by naming them. If you get my drift.

Yes, significantly. And living in FL as a wine lover is tough, the selection down here is quite bland. I’ve lost access to two of my favorite retailers and have tried tobut other wines from two others with no luck, all within the last several months. It’s forced me to be more creative in finding what I like to buy and drink.