Need Help Planning Wine Tour- Bordeaux

I am planning to be in Paris the 3rd week of March and was hoping to find a tour guide that can help set up some wine tastings/tours in Bourdeaux.

Does anyone have a great guide that can set this up or take me on tours/tastings at some good wineries?

I am usually a Napa Cab lover but I am trying to expand my pallet and hoping this trip helps. I will probably be in Bourdeaux for 3-4 days.

Are the wineries in Bourdeaux open on Weekends or just weekdays?

Any recommendations on where to stay in Bourdeaux?

Thanks!

Chris… In case you are going to Bordeaux and not Bourdeaux :smiley: You can find most of what you need to know about visiting Bordeaux, as well as where to stay and eat etc… here : Learn how to Visit the Top Bordeaux Chateau for the Best Wine Tastings

Hope these help.

Also, two people on the board who gave me help planning my trip to Bordeaux were Jeff and his wonderful website and Panos.

Thanks Howard, I have a lot of reading to do tonight over my bottle of 2005 Clos St. Martin!!

It’s been years, but the Mouton tour and tasting was excellent. So cool to see the Museum with so many works of art, including the original art labels and associated memorabilia.

Just a follow up, I hired Henri Challeau for a 3 day tour and he was excellent. He was very informative about Bordeaux and the wines and knew as much if not more about the tours than the people giving them.

He is a 5 Star tour guide!!

Many years ago (over 20) we stayed at Chateau Cordeillan-bages in Paulliac, you’ll need some way to get around, we rented a car after taking the high speed train from Paris to The town of Bordeaux. Also did the Mouton visit, at the time we had few ITB wine contacts and the hotel set up our tasting visits.

Two years ago we spent 3 days there. We used Dewey Markham an ex-pat who I believe won a beard Award for a book on the 1855 Classification. Great guy and he can set up everything. I believe he was $500 US for a full day. I will say that we toured on our own one day and did Mouton and Lafite by ourselves. It was easy to do. We stayed at Hostelier de Plaisance in St. Emilion. It was outstanding if you are looking for a place to stay.

Re-upping this thread, my wife and I are headed to Bordeaux in late April to visit a friend who resides there. First time for both of us. I’m highly interested in visiting at least a few chateaux. Her not so much. I’ve reached out to Henri Challeau based on all the recommendations here but am wondering if a private guide still makes sense if it ends up just being me solo rather than a couple or larger group. On the other hand, without my better half slowing me down, what is the feasibility of squeezing in 4 visits on what will likely be my only free day for touring instead of the 3 visits that he appears to be proposing? Frankly, I’d be happy to dispense with a long or fancy lunch if it would mean more time for tasting.

Would appreciate any thoughts – especially from those who have employed M. Challeau previously.

Not sure whether lunch matters. You may want to find out whether Bordeaux houses schedule appointments from 12-2 anyway. Doing so would not seem very French.

You have to eat…gotta keep a good base in your belly for all that great wine. Henri is the best…tell you want to eat at small hole in the wall places and not fancy restaurants, he will accommodate.

CR

Highly recommend Henri Challeau, we toured with him for two days this August based on others’ recommendation.

The Bordeaux region is huge and the distances / driving times can be large. For example to get from left bank (Paulliac) St Emilion on right bank can be 1.5 to 2 hours depending on traffic. Three in a day is probably wise and prudent so you are not rushed. I would go with the advice of the guide in this matter. Quality not quantity.

Brodie

Thanks all. Really appreciate everyone’s input. It’s now looking like my wife and local host will tag along and they will surely want a nice lunch break. So if Henri recommends 3 visits, I expect that’s what we’ll do.

Region-wise I’m leaning toward Pauillac / St. Julien where many of my favorite producers are sited. If anyone has any particular suggestions, please let me know.

sent you a PM

Diana Verneau - She knows everyone in Bordeaux. - Secrets de Châteaux Private Wine Tours Bordeaux

For those that are interested in going on their own, this is just about everything you need to know about visiting Bordeaux - Learn how to Visit the Top Bordeaux Chateau for the Best Wine Tastings

1 Like

I used to do wine tours in Bordeaux, and for my Millennium tour really needed a second guide and used Dewey. Superb and knowledgeable.