Wine /Beer shops in London?

might be stopping by for a few days… wanted to get the collective expertise here…

1. any wine shops with particular good prices on bdx/burgs? (good deal = say… 15-20% cheaper than US prices, and readily available)…

2. any beer shops /pub i can find a bottle of cantillion or two to take back?

Wife is working, so if i go, i’ll have nothing to do all day but wander around town, so i’m happy to go hunting…

The Sampler
Berry Bros
Handfords
Hedonism
Planet of the Grapes
Uncorked

And a couple of bars
Sager + Wilde
Noble Rot

Try and find a mate to get you into 67 PM.

Basically loads of places. This won’t scratch the surface.

Matt. Thank you! Can u tell me which one is for wine and which is for cantillion? Thanks!!

Also why do I need someone to help me get into a shop? :slight_smile: it’s that exclusive?

67 pall mall is a club, not a shop. Incredible wine selection by the glass - old vintages of Lafite from double mags, old la Tache etc etc etc.

Sounds like a members only place and incredibly expensive

Hedonism is definitely worth a visit- The wines will not be cheaper and for the most part will be more expensive than one finds in the states but a really cool wine shop to visit non-the-less- They probably have 50ish wines to try at the self serve tasting area and some of those wines can be pretty incredible (I had a 1932 Madeira and a 1958 Meursault amount many other cool pours my last visit) - After a little tasting run thru, I find quite enjoyable to browse the Burgs and Chaps.

+1 regarding Sager + Wilde- Pretty Eclectic selection of wines.

Craft Beer Co. Had Cantillon in the past; don’t know about now.

Nope.

Musar is generally cheaper in the UK than in the States. Same goes for some Sherry producers.

But those are exceptions that prove the rule.

Why is it when i lookup stuff on wine searcher… all the cheap locations are in the UK/EU?
are those mostly not real?

a lot of them aren’t storefronts and a lot of them aren’t in london.

And sometimes prices are quoted in bond – i.e., without VAT and duties.

It doesn’t help that the pound and the euro are both up about 15% over the past year, so any older stocks are more expensive when priced in pounds.

Thanks for the insights folks! i guess wine hunting is not fruitful… i’ll just hit up wine bars and drink instead [cheers.gif]

London rents. You won’t find bargains. Better to order online to your hotel.

I was in London last week and got some “deals” at Berry Bros Rudd.

Grabbed an 08 Yves Cuilleron Cote Rotie and an Ostertag Pinot Gris for something like £65 total.

Not screaming deals but certainly in line with some of the better pricing you could find in the US. Not bad for hotel room wine.

Yes, members only plus guests (hence the comment earlier about wangling an invite). No, not incredibly expensive. Incredible wine list designed to be at or below retail prices so wine obsessed members can enjoy great wine with good food.

Uto Beer in Borough Market is a good Cantillon hunting ground. Keep it quiet though.

Too late!