Rhys Futures offering, zero posts

Why not? Mainly, just curious?

I don’t order the futures. Since I can order the 750ml bottles during the general release, I’m in no rush to catch up on reviews, tasting notes, etc. Rhys is very popular on this board, so I’m sure some folks will eventually weigh in. And now you officially have one post! [wink.gif]

I have been trying to get to the site to order Syrah since the email came out. I cannot access. Must be some issue with traveling, but I cannot even get to the website.

Drinking thru all my Rhys wines…once I get thru 40 or so, I’ll see about hopping back in the pond.

Add another post to your “zero” count.

I’m trying to justify one last splurge on the Syrah, but it is becoming way past my price limit. Love em but have to say no.

I just like regular 750ml’s, I don’t need different formats or wood boxes. Im in always just not on the futures offer.

[stirthepothal.gif]

Just joined the list recently, is there a discount on these future relative to standard pricing? Don’t care about big bottles, OWC etc.

No, generally not a discount. It’s an opportunity to buy other formats than 750ml. I think the 375ml and 500ml are the most popular. It’s also an opportunity to buy case quantities of some of the wines, which would usually be difficult during the normal release (especially for the Syrah, I think).

-Al

I don’t see a lack of posts as unusual. The winery has a following around here that is strong, with many (including me) who continue to buy, support and drink the wines. I also think that some of us just go on about things and the support is transparent so to not see posts may not be a function of anything other than people see this is yet the next offer in the wineries cadence to keep offering out their craft and building their strength forward.

I agree on both points. I’m amaze how much one can order vis a vis normal release. I’m in for a half case of the Syrah (500ml). For two people, one 375ml is often not enough, while a full bottle (sometimes) is too much.

500ml bottles of Syrah for me as well

I like the 500ml bottles as well, but I’ve noticed Rhys charges a premium for that format. The equivalent prices of 750 mls of wine on the last release:

375 ml $83 ($41.5 per bottle X 2)
500 ml $87.25 ($58.17 per bottle X 1.5)
750 ml $79

True, the 500mls are a bit more expensive. Probably because they’re less common than the more conventional sizes. One nice thing about having an empty 500ml bottle–if you just want one glass of wine–a large glass–you can open a 750ml bottle, pour the contents into the 500ml bottle, cork it, stick in the fridge, leaving you about 240ml to enjoy now.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a winery that charged the same price per ml for wine in 375ml or 500ml bottles as for the general market 750ml bottles, except when selling off stock (and Rhys sells these on futures so they know how many to bottle). The bottle, cork, label, labor, bottling line changes all cost something, and those costs don’t scale with volume of wine in the bottles.

-Al

I think you missed my point. I’m fine with paying a premium for a non standard format, just a little surprised that the premium is much larger for a 500 ml compared to a 375 ml.

I bet 500 ml glass is much more expensive. It is not remotely common.

+1

So you believe an empty 500 ml bottle costs $3-$4 more per bottle than an empty 375 ml?