Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
R. Smith
Posts: 430
Joined: May 30th, 2014, 10:32 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#51 Post by R. Smith » February 8th, 2018, 7:48 am

Wes Barton wrote:There were a couple other vintage blend Monte Bellos in the '60s-ish. Something like a 66/67 and a 69/71, but don't quote me.
Hi Wes,

You are correct about another NV Monte Bello. In addition to the 66/69 blend, there was also a 66/71 blend. Paul thought the 66/71 to be the longest lived of the NV Monte Bello.
R y @ n

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3469
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#52 Post by Sean Devaney » February 8th, 2018, 9:26 am

Ken V wrote:The number of different bottling from Ridge is approaching infinity. Check out this page:

https://www.ridgewine.com/wines/

Try each item on the "wine" pull down menu.

Lots of other good info on their site.
Back in 2014 Ridge put up a slide show of 352 Zinfandel labels to celebrate 50 years of making Zin. I posted about it in this thread https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... =1&t=98919

Unfortunately the link in the thread is dead.

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#53 Post by Larry Stein » February 8th, 2018, 12:46 pm

R. Smith wrote:
Wes Barton wrote:There were a couple other vintage blend Monte Bellos in the '60s-ish. Something like a 66/67 and a 69/71, but don't quote me.
Hi Wes,

You are correct about another NV Monte Bello. In addition to the 66/69 blend, there was also a 66/71 blend. Paul thought the 66/71 to be the longest lived of the NV Monte Bello.
Wes, Michael M. brought a bottle of 66/71 to his 75th birthday bash at Ridge along with his last bottles of '62-66 and the 5 liter '68.

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#54 Post by Drew Goin » February 8th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Sean Devaney wrote:Back in 2014 Ridge put up a slide show of 352 Zinfandel labels to celebrate 50 years of making Zin. I posted about it in this thread https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/vi ... =1&t=98919

Unfortunately the link in the thread is dead.
From the Wine Berserkers link:
Sean Devaney wrote:Ridge is celebrating 50 years of Zinfandel and has a page on their web site that has a slide show of 352 Zinfandel labels from 1964 to 2005. I spent my lunch time reading through most of them. You can find the labels here http://www.ridgewine.com/SingleLand/Fif ... 1aowUY25Ck
I wish someone could find that link/presentation!!! :(

I understand that companies have to take steps to prevent fraud, but the cache of information in that rare Ridge event provides more drinkers an opportunity to learn tons about the history of this winery!!

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3887
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#55 Post by Wes Barton » February 9th, 2018, 12:41 am

Larry Stein wrote:
R. Smith wrote:
Wes Barton wrote:There were a couple other vintage blend Monte Bellos in the '60s-ish. Something like a 66/67 and a 69/71, but don't quote me.
Hi Wes,

You are correct about another NV Monte Bello. In addition to the 66/69 blend, there was also a 66/71 blend. Paul thought the 66/71 to be the longest lived of the NV Monte Bello.
Wes, Michael M. brought a bottle of 66/71 to his 75th birthday bash at Ridge along with his last bottles of '62-66 and the 5 liter '68.
There was a 66/69 also, and I'm pretty sure a third. (Also, '67, '69, maybe a '71. Some were brought by other people. Some appeared later than that initial flight. Someone else brought that '62, which was the best smelling vinegar, by far, that I've ever smelled...)
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
scott c
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2177
Joined: December 29th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: NYC

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#56 Post by scott c » February 9th, 2018, 6:48 am

Scott Jameson wrote:
Kirk.Grant wrote:
james l moleberg wrote:1983 Monte Bello is as rare as they come.
Why?? Was there some lost/damaged bottles?
1983 Monte Bello is not particularly rare, other than it's almost 35 years old. The wine was recalled and purchasers had the option of returning their bottles of Monte Bello in return for bottles of the exact same wine labeled Santa Cruz Mountains. The exchange rate was 1 MB for 2 SCM. I had purchased a case and some mags of the '83 Monte Bello, and exchanged most of them, keeping a few bottles with the MB label just for fun. I know several others who did the same.

You can occasionally run across both bottlings at auction, and they sell for a fraction of the price of many other MBs.

I think other declassified Monte Bellos, such as the 1979, are much scarcer than the 1983. Most of the 1979 was also bottled as Santa Cruz Mountains, and I don't think nearly as many bottles labeled Monte Bello made it into distribution as occurred in 1983. The very late released (early 2000s) 1979 Cabernet Sauvignon Essence is from Monte Bello grapes, but it's not labeled MB.
Here's the story on the 1979 Essence, straight from the horse's (Eric Baugher's) mouth:
This is one of the rarest wines ever made by Ridge. It was made as a result of the terrible drought of the late 70’s. The vines didn’t yield much that year. They also got infected by botrytis. By the time the Ridge founders got back to the winery following their August vacations, they arrived to find desiccated grapes on the vines. They harvested and only made a few barrels of this Essence. Since it was Caitlyn Draper’s birth year, Paul made a few barrels of regular Monte Bello from a small block that had not yet shriveled. That portion of MB was never released. This essence wasn’t released either, until 2002. It was bottled in 1982, left in the cellar to age. Over time the cases got stacked further back into the cellar and blocked by equipment and other wines. It wasn’t until the late 90’s as we began to clear out the cellar that these cases were discovered. We printed labels, using our current technology of pressure sensitive, and labeled the bottles for sale. We offered it to our local collectors at $100 per bottle, which was about the price of a current vintage of Monte Bello at that time. We only kept a small amount for ourselves to continue tasting over the years.
c 1 @ f f e e

"By serving the best, never the most, a host compliments both himself and guest, and compensates with additional enjoyment what he wisely limits in number of drinks."
-Julian P. ("Pappy") Van Winkle, Sr.

Scott Jameson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 558
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 6:26 am
Location: Houston, TX

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#57 Post by Scott Jameson » February 9th, 2018, 8:35 am

scott c wrote: Here's the story on the 1979 Essence, straight from the horse's (Eric Baugher's) mouth:
This is one of the rarest wines ever made by Ridge. It was made as a result of the terrible drought of the late 70’s. The vines didn’t yield much that year. They also got infected by botrytis. By the time the Ridge founders got back to the winery following their August vacations, they arrived to find desiccated grapes on the vines. They harvested and only made a few barrels of this Essence. Since it was Caitlyn Draper’s birth year, Paul made a few barrels of regular Monte Bello from a small block that had not yet shriveled. That portion of MB was never released. This essence wasn’t released either, until 2002. It was bottled in 1982, left in the cellar to age. Over time the cases got stacked further back into the cellar and blocked by equipment and other wines. It wasn’t until the late 90’s as we began to clear out the cellar that these cases were discovered. We printed labels, using our current technology of pressure sensitive, and labeled the bottles for sale. We offered it to our local collectors at $100 per bottle, which was about the price of a current vintage of Monte Bello at that time. We only kept a small amount for ourselves to continue tasting over the years.
Scott, thanks for posting Eric's comments ! They are consistent with comments attributed to Paul Draper, here: https://blog.ridgewine.com/2009/09/03/q ... f-essence/

By the way, if you're not familiar with it, there's a lot of interesting history captured in the Ridge Blog. It appears new posts are added occasionally today. In the past, though, Ridge had a very active social media person who posted frequently - sometimes daily - and there's a lot of fascinating nuggets throughout the blog posts.

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#58 Post by Larry Stein » February 9th, 2018, 8:42 am

Wes Barton wrote:
Wes, Michael M. brought a bottle of 66/71 to his 75th birthday bash at Ridge along with his last bottles of '62-66 and the 5 liter '68.
There was a 66/69 also, and I'm pretty sure a third. (Also, '67, '69, maybe a '71. Some were brought by other people. Some appeared later than that initial flight. Someone else brought that '62, which was the best smelling vinegar, by far, that I've ever smelled...)
The ones you mention weren't in the "back room" when Michael invited me and Sandi in. There was so much wine floating about that I could've easily missed those.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3887
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#59 Post by Wes Barton » February 9th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:By the way, if you're not familiar with it, there's a lot of interesting history captured in the Ridge Blog. It appears new posts are added occasionally today. In the past, though, Ridge had a very active social media person who posted frequently - sometimes daily - and there's a lot of fascinating nuggets throughout the blog posts.
That was Christopher "Preacher Boy" Watkins. He's back to being a full-time musician. When he started there he tapped heavily into the Gang of Pour archives, since they go way back. Collectively older than Tom Hill, even. http://blogs.gangofpour.com/
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
Larry P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 21st, 2010, 3:13 pm
Location: Livermore, CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#60 Post by Larry P » February 9th, 2018, 6:31 pm

This picture of our own Mike Dildine over a bottle of Ridge Monte Rosso 1994, from the HVS dinner at Chez Panisse a few years ago; he's looking so engaged as anyone would be discussing this wine with Paul Draper and Joel Peterson:

Image

Image
P ! g g ! n s

"You keep me searching for a heart of gold" - Neil Young
"Metal heart, you're not worth a thing" - Cat Power

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#61 Post by Drew Goin » February 28th, 2018, 8:41 am

Drew Goin wrote:
H Wallace Jr wrote:I have a 1990 "California" Mataro which is different than the 90 Evangelho bottling.
From the Ridge website, describing the 1993 "Evangelho Vineyard" Mataro:

"We have used the Evangelo Vineyard’s hunded-year-old mataro vines for the 1990 Advance Tasting Program release and all subsequent national ones. In the 1993 vintage, the national release comes from the Bridgehead vineyards, a quarter-mile to the east; all the Evangelo[sic] was set aside for this, our second ATP mataro."

https://www.ridgewine.com/wines/1993-evangelo-mataro/

I dunno...
I reviewed Mr Matt Cline's email to me (posted to the "Mourvedre Appreciation" thread). According to him

"Ridge Vineyards did a lot of testing of all their component wines by HPLC (high profile liquid chromatograph). They were buying Evangelho and Bridgehead Mataro from me at the time."

User avatar
A Bree
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 90
Joined: June 26th, 2009, 11:40 am

Barbera

#62 Post by A Bree » March 2nd, 2018, 1:51 am

Scott Jameson -

The Barbera you referred to was the Rancho Pequeno - sourced from a quarter acre or so vineyard just a couple of blocks off the square in Sonoma (if I recall correctly). Ridge made three vintages for the ATP program - the last was in 1990. You are quite correct - the vines were pulled and the land paved over for a parking lot. They were very nice wines.
Allan Bree
Napa
ITB

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#63 Post by Drew Goin » July 2nd, 2018, 6:13 am

According to a recent blog entry by Mr Randy Caparoso, Ridge Vineyards is looking back to Lodi for a fruit source!


Lodi Wine Commission Blog
"Why Big Time Producers like Ridge and Neyers are Mining Lodi for Zinfandel"
by Randy Caparoso
June 5, 2018


"Over the weekend we received a note from David Gates, who is V.P. of Vineyard Operations for Ridge Vineyards – a winery that deserves all the credit in the world for being the first modern day California producer to take Zinfandel seriously.

"According to Gates: 'We are excited about coming back to Lodi after a loooong hiatus. We are looking to diversify our Zinfandel portfolio to help spread out the harvest; and we have seen how Lodi has changed in the last ten or so years – with better, or different, viticulture.'

Lot1322soulsurvivor22.jpg
"Classic 100-plus-year-old Zinfandel in Lot 13 Vineyard (destined for a 2018 Ridge Lodi Zinfandel)" - from Lodi Wine Blog
Last week Mr. Gates came out to Lodi to look at Lot 13 Vineyard – an own-rooted 1915 planting located in the pit of an oxbow bend of the Mokelumne River, on Lodi’s east side. Over the phone Gates told us: 'The first time I saw the vineyard was three years ago, when I met with Mike McCay (owner/winemaker of McCay Cellars, who also owns and farms Lot 13). I found that Mike is very passionate, farming-wise. It turned out that he was using only about half of the vineyard for his own wines, and selling the rest. So in 2018, we will be taking some Zinfandel off of this vineyard. We’re very excited, and can’t wait because we know it’s going to be good.'

"The last time Ridge Vineyards sourced Zinfandel from Lodi was in 1974 (starting in 1969)....

"Says Gates, 'We’re looking at Lot 13 in particular because we like the way Mike picks a little earlier, which is what we like to do. Plus, there is a very unique soil chemistry in that site. Although the fruit may come in with about same amount of total acidity as other vineyards, there is a little more tartaric acid. So when you go through malolactic fermentation, you end up with a little more acidity in the finished wine – something you don’t usually associate with Zinfandel from Lodi. But as you know, even a tiny bit more acidity can make a big difference on the palate.'..."[/i]
Lot13Vineyard.jpg
"Ancient own-rooted Zinfandel (planted 1915) in McCay's Lot 13 Vineyard, located on east side of Mokelumne River-Lodi AVA" - Lodi Wine Blog
More on McCay Cellars and the "Lot 13 Vineyard":

McCay Cellars Blog

Lodi Wine Commission Blog
"What Makes Lodi Zinfandel Different? Conversation with Mike McCay"
by Randy Caparoso
January 31, 2018

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#64 Post by Larry Stein » July 2nd, 2018, 6:22 am

Anyone have any info or tasting notes on Old School Sonoma County Zin? I purchased a bottle of 2005 at the K&L Ridge blow-out sale last week. At $30, I had no problem taking a chance on this one.

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#65 Post by Rich Brown » July 2nd, 2018, 7:26 am

Not as rare as some of these bottles that have been discussed but I have a 1969 and 1970 Ridge Geyserville that i snagged at auction a while ago (back when you could snag old Ridge on the cheap....which really wasnt that long ago ). Looks like there's 2 and 5 bottles, respectively, listed in CT.

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#66 Post by Drew Goin » July 2nd, 2018, 8:22 am

Larry Stein wrote:Anyone have any info or tasting notes on Old School Sonoma County Zin? I purchased a bottle of 2005 at the K&L Ridge blow-out sale last week. At $30, I had no problem taking a chance on this one.

Sorry Larry, this is all I could find. I have not tasted many Ridge Vineyards wines. :|



From the Ridge Vineyards website:

2005 "Old School" Zinfandel (94% Zinfandel, 6% Petite Sirah)


"Vintage Notes: In the 1870s, the Independence School was built to serve the farming families south of Geyserville. Ridge first made this wine in 2003, with grapes from several small vineyard parcels in the former school district, and called it 'Independence School.'. In 2005 we again selected the ripest fruit from four parcels; for the Advanced Tasting Program bottling, we have renamed the wine 'Old School.' Warm autumn weather in this year’s late growing season ripened the fruit and concentrated flavors. Natural yeast fermentations began on day two; by day six of twice-daily pump-overs, tasting revealed a fine, firm structure, and we pressed. After a natural malolactic in small tanks, the wine was racked to air-dried american-oak barrels for settling, and to begin aging. In the first week of the new year, the four parcels were combined and returned to barrel. This rich, complex zinfandel has layers of earth and spice; enjoyable now, its superb balance will allow for further development over the next eight to ten years.


"History: The two-room Independence School was built in the 1870’s and served the ranches south of Geyserville for nearly a century. Several of the small vineyards we harvest in what is now Geyserville Township are located in the historic school district. The old school, now a residence, stands adjacent to the vineyards.


"Winemaking
Harvest Dates: 19-21 September
Grapes: Average Brix: 25.8
Fermentation: Grapes destemmed and fully crushed into small (1-5 ton capacity) fermentors. Natural yeast fermentation; pressed at six days. Uninoculated malolactic.
Barrels: 100% air-dried american oak (10% new, 34% one to two years; 56% three to five years old)
Aging: 14 months in barrel

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#67 Post by Larry Stein » July 2nd, 2018, 8:30 am

Thanks, Drew. If that's a Paul Draper tasting note, that wine has another 5+ years to go. ;-)

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3887
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#68 Post by Wes Barton » July 2nd, 2018, 3:16 pm

Rich Brown wrote:Not as rare as some of these bottles that have been discussed but I have a 1969 and 1970 Ridge Geyserville that i snagged at auction a while ago (back when you could snag old Ridge on the cheap....which really wasnt that long ago ). Looks like there's 2 and 5 bottles, respectively, listed in CT.
I snagged a '70 a couple years ago. "With someone's name on it", so to speak. Hope to pop it fairly soon, but have a '71 PS on deck for the 4th already. I'm sure Larry will try to weasel a pour of that...
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3887
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#69 Post by Wes Barton » July 2nd, 2018, 3:22 pm

Larry Stein wrote:Thanks, Drew. If that's a Paul Draper tasting note, that wine has another 5+ years to go. ;-)
Right. I always took the "...blah blah blah will allow for further development over the next eight to ten years." to mean that ten year point, from when the note was written, as a very early-side guess at the opening of the drinking window. 5 years on top of that can only be better, still progressing towards peak.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#70 Post by Rich Brown » July 2nd, 2018, 4:41 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:Not as rare as some of these bottles that have been discussed but I have a 1969 and 1970 Ridge Geyserville that i snagged at auction a while ago (back when you could snag old Ridge on the cheap....which really wasnt that long ago ). Looks like there's 2 and 5 bottles, respectively, listed in CT.
I snagged a '70 a couple years ago. "With someone's name on it", so to speak. Hope to pop it fairly soon, but have a '71 PS on deck for the 4th already. I'm sure Larry will try to weasel a pour of that...


Nice Wes! I'll anxiously be waiting to hear how the wine is. Fingers crossed it shows well for you!

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#71 Post by Larry Stein » July 2nd, 2018, 4:57 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:Not as rare as some of these bottles that have been discussed but I have a 1969 and 1970 Ridge Geyserville that i snagged at auction a while ago (back when you could snag old Ridge on the cheap....which really wasnt that long ago ). Looks like there's 2 and 5 bottles, respectively, listed in CT.
I snagged a '70 a couple years ago. "With someone's name on it", so to speak. Hope to pop it fairly soon, but have a '71 PS on deck for the 4th already. I'm sure Larry will try to weasel a pour of that...
flirtysmile

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3887
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#72 Post by Wes Barton » July 5th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
Wes Barton wrote:
Rich Brown wrote:Not as rare as some of these bottles that have been discussed but I have a 1969 and 1970 Ridge Geyserville that i snagged at auction a while ago (back when you could snag old Ridge on the cheap....which really wasnt that long ago ). Looks like there's 2 and 5 bottles, respectively, listed in CT.
I snagged a '70 a couple years ago. "With someone's name on it", so to speak. Hope to pop it fairly soon, but have a '71 PS on deck for the 4th already. I'm sure Larry will try to weasel a pour of that...


Nice Wes! I'll anxiously be waiting to hear how the wine is. Fingers crossed it shows well for you!
Yes, it showed well. Mellower than expected, quite a bit going on, but I'd guess it was past its peak (and going nowhere). Took the last sludgy pour later on. Quite a lot of dense sediment. Was able to start sipping off the top within 20 seconds.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#73 Post by Larry Stein » July 5th, 2018, 7:37 pm

I thought it was right on the money, not past its peak. It had excellent balance. Wes, thanks for bringing that bottle.

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#74 Post by Rich Brown » July 5th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Love it fellas. Appreciate the note and glad it drank well!

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3887
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#75 Post by Wes Barton » July 5th, 2018, 10:45 pm

We also opened an '03 Zin Essence from Stone Ranch. A little gruff when first opened, but nice enough. No hurry on the rest of them (picked up 6 recently). Revisited later it had opened up and resolved well, so I'll keep that in mind if I pop another in the near term.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#76 Post by Rich Brown » July 6th, 2018, 7:55 am

Wes Barton wrote:We also opened an '03 Zin Essence from Stone Ranch. A little gruff when first opened, but nice enough. No hurry on the rest of them (picked up 6 recently). Revisited later it had opened up and resolved well, so I'll keep that in mind if I pop another in the near term.
Nice, great feedback. Only Ridge Essence I have is an 01 Petite Sirah, which I plan on holding for a long time.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3887
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#77 Post by Wes Barton » July 6th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
Wes Barton wrote:We also opened an '03 Zin Essence from Stone Ranch. A little gruff when first opened, but nice enough. No hurry on the rest of them (picked up 6 recently). Revisited later it had opened up and resolved well, so I'll keep that in mind if I pop another in the near term.
Nice, great feedback. Only Ridge Essence I have is an 01 Petite Sirah, which I plan on holding for a long time.
I'd mostly had mature ones, which are lovely. We had a current release one up there a couple years ago. Maybe partially that it was such a contrast to the mature wines we were drinking, but it was so over-the-top ripe and simple that I was a little put off. Friends were excited about it and bought some. I'm sure it'll be great in 30 years.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#78 Post by Rich Brown » July 6th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Thanks Wes, that's where my head goes as well, in that this would be a beast of a wine even 17 years in. I'll report back in 2035.

User avatar
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 20103
Joined: July 3rd, 2010, 8:53 am
Location: Podunk CA RRV

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#79 Post by Brian Tuite » July 6th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Wes Barton wrote:There were a couple other vintage blend Monte Bellos in the '60s-ish. Something like a 66/67 and a 69/71, but don't quote me.
Or what?
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2020 WOTY Candidates

- 2018 Once & Future Old Hill Ranch

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#80 Post by Larry Stein » July 7th, 2018, 10:54 am

Here's some crazy pricing from a just-closed K&L auction. I was toying with going about $135 max for the lot, but this is nuts!

1 bottle each 1996 Ridge Dry Creek Valley Sangiovese, 1996 Ridge Vineyards "Geyserville" Sonoma County Petite Sirah, and 1997 Ridge Vineyards "Lytton Estate" Dry Creek Valley Syrah.

It went for $363!! [shock.gif]

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#81 Post by Rich Brown » July 7th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Larry Stein wrote:Here's some crazy pricing from a just-closed K&L auction. I was toying with going about $135 max for the lot, but this is nuts!

1 bottle each 1996 Ridge Dry Creek Valley Sangiovese, 1996 Ridge Vineyards "Geyserville" Sonoma County Petite Sirah, and 1997 Ridge Vineyards "Lytton Estate" Dry Creek Valley Syrah.

It went for $363!! [shock.gif]
The days of finding solid deals on aged Ridge wines are sadly long, long gone :(

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#82 Post by Rich Brown » July 7th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
Larry Stein wrote:Here's some crazy pricing from a just-closed K&L auction. I was toying with going about $135 max for the lot, but this is nuts!

1 bottle each 1996 Ridge Dry Creek Valley Sangiovese, 1996 Ridge Vineyards "Geyserville" Sonoma County Petite Sirah, and 1997 Ridge Vineyards "Lytton Estate" Dry Creek Valley Syrah.

It went for $363!! [shock.gif]
The days of finding solid deals on aged Ridge wines are sadly long, long gone :(
Now I'm doing a double take. Is that literally 3 bottles for $363!?!? :o

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#83 Post by Larry Stein » July 7th, 2018, 12:21 pm

Yep

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3192
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#84 Post by Rich Brown » July 7th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Larry Stein wrote:Yep
What's the unicorn in that lot? The sangiovese?

User avatar
Larry Stein
Posts: 1845
Joined: April 17th, 2009, 2:27 pm
Location: Belmont CA

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#85 Post by Larry Stein » July 7th, 2018, 12:50 pm

That one makes the most sense. Only 4 vintages, 1992 and 1996-98, according to Cellartracker.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3887
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#86 Post by Wes Barton » July 7th, 2018, 11:14 pm

Larry Stein wrote:That one makes the most sense. Only 4 vintages, 1992 and 1996-98, according to Cellartracker.
'92 would be (yet another) misentry. They did the 3 vintages because the vines came with the property they'd just bought. Plenty of other projects to do before grafting over suboptimal vines. They were all good, but lesser, not so interesting Ridge wines while young and middle-aged. Around 2010 the '97 was still mediocre and the '98 fairly impressive. Anything over $100 for that lot would be too much, imo.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
Drew Goin
Posts: 6525
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Re: Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#87 Post by Drew Goin » March 11th, 2019, 10:57 am

Sorry, I realize that this article/interview is not an example of an unusual bottling from the winery, but it is a good interview with Mr Eric Baugher...


Mi Amigo El Vino
"Eric Baugher, Director of Winemaking at Ridge Vineyards: The Winemaker in Charge of the Iconic Winery in Santa Cruz Mountains"

October 10, 2016


13769506_10154261508389647_1089094025729200915_n-696x464.jpg
"Eric Baugher of Ridge Vineyards" - from Mi Amigo El Vino article
Click to see spoiler:
Mi Amigo El Vino
"Ridge Vineyards, the Californian iconic winery of Santa Cruz Mountains"

September 22, 2016

Sean Devaney
Posts: 3469
Joined: June 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Re: Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

#88 Post by Sean Devaney » March 11th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Thanks for the link Drew, nice article.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”