TN: 2015 The Princess and the Peasant Carignan

Night #1: PnP, the nose was initially reserved, as were the first few sips. Over twenty minutes, dark berries, tinged with bramble and sage, and a tug-of-war between the acidity and tannins promised better things in store. The bottle was re-corked and left on the counter for the evening.

Night #2: The nose became an explosive mix of dark berries and plum. The palate yielded a fascinating combination of brambly red and black field berries, violets. The wine presented a pleasing medium-length finish. The tannins and acidity, not in any way overwhelming, instead contributed to the structure to a beautiful wine. I kept returning to the glass, picking up faint impressions of strawberries and earth, as well as a Pinot Noir-like sensibility in this old-vine Carignan.

The Princess and The Peasant’s inaugural “Poor Ranch” bottling continues to deliver a balance of fruit and savor - a well-crafted wine for the price, guaranteed to please a broad range of wine drinkers.

Posted from CellarTracker

Well timed and well done! [cheers.gif]

Drew embiggened the hobby and Berseker day with his cromulent tasting note!

Thanks for posting, Drew! I really wanted to avoid any edginess, mitigate the rusticity of Carignan. It was a very Pinot-like regime. Small lot fermentations (T-bins, 3/4 ton), very cool, low and slow. I was gentle with the punch downs, very gentle with the pressing, aged it in neutral barrel on its fine lees, racked once by gravity, bottled UF/UF.

It’s a thrill for me to see the positive response for this wine!

A noble spirit embiggens even the most cromulent of notes, Anton

I have to add that the second evening’s tasting of The Princess and The Peasant 2015 “Signal Ridge” Pinot Noir is simply a pleasure to drink.

Lots of delicate strawberry flavors and enough sophistication to elevate it beyond anything approaching the same price point.

For those perpetually asking for a Pinot Noir under $XX, this is the one!

Love to see you posting notes Drew! Good stuff and very much appreciated!

I would like to pop some Carignan soon, but the heat in Louisiana is murderous this summer!

Nevertheless, I saw this article’s mention of TP&TP’s 2016 vintage wine and wanted to share:

Food & Wine
“14 of the Anderson Valley’s Most Delicious Wines”
by Betsy Andrews
June 18, 2018

"A winding, hour-long drive north from Sonoma lands you in Mendocino County, California’s wildest, most earth-friendly wine region. From its main growing area, the Anderson Valley, on up and further inland through Hopland and Ukiah, Mendocino’s 10 appellations boast the most organic, biodynamic, and certified fish-friendly vineyards in the state.

"Here, high altitudes, ocean breezes, and big swings in daytime and nighttime temperatures keep the fruit fresh and in balance, for lithe, layered wines. Cool-climate Pinot Noir is a Mendo specialty, but all sorts of grapes are cultivated here. Whether you’re sampling in the tasting rooms along the Anderson Valley’s Highway 128, or finding bottles online or in stores, there’s a Mendocino wine for you. Here are 14 to start with:

"…• Princess and the Peasant ‘Poor Ranch’ Carignan 2016:

“Winemaker Stephanie Rivin hops in the tank herself to foot tread old-vine grapes dry farmed at Hopland’s acclaimed ‘Poor Ranch’ for this wonderfully complex carignan. Tight, flinty earth girdles lush mixed berries, both tart and red, and dark and brambly. It’s great stuff for pairing with summer’s barbecued meats…”