SQN Email

Anyone else get a “still interested?” email from them today? I don’t want to get my hopes up, but I am hoping this means good things coming my way

One of the local shops here has a bunch of SQN on their web site.
Price averages around $300. Definitely out of my budget.

Binnys has the 13’s on the shelf

1 Like

Does Binnys usually get SQN? I was unaware

Its not in all stores but you can find it, along with other cult wines like Abreu, Bevan, etc

I am on the waiting list (about 5 years in at this point) and didn’t get an email today.

The number of offers for SQN wines, including newer releases, on WineBid is absolutely bonkers right now. Pricing is still relatively high, but I’m thinking that supply/demand may change things around in the near future.

I’m not sure how much SQN goes out directly to retailers - Manfred may have had strong connections with some early on that continue - but many many retailers will personally be on the list, or have good friends on the list - and then these end up on retail shelves. I see it in SB County from time to time as well.

Cheers.

For years Binnys has had many cult type wines in the stores with the separate high end wine rooms. However, their pricing always seemed to be well over “retail” and sometimes higher than secondary market pricing. I haven’t been in one of the wine rooms in a couple years - how is pricing nowadays on these types of wines? Close to a retail/mailing list pricing or still well above?

I think that SQN has been steadily increasing production - I don’t recall that productions numbers are reported in letters or reviews like many years ago but I have just have had a sense that new vineyards are coming on line and being included that weren’t included say 5+ years ago. Combine potentially increased production and higher prices than say 5 years ago and I think the result is that there is much more volume that finds its way into the secondary market shortly after release. Anecdotally, I’d say that 10 years or so ago the market “cleared” (or “normalized” with secondary market volume) relatively quickly after release - maybe a few months - and then say 5 or so years ago that time lengthened to maybe 12-18 months and now I think it may be more like 24-36 months after release.

However, from posts on this board around release time, it doesn’t seem like the wait time to move from waiting list to mailing list is shrinking by much - no doubt due to the strong continuing consistency and quality of the wines - and so the overall SQN market seems to still be supported at this point.

To the OP question- I think this is definitely good news for you (assuming you still want the wines)- when I made the list a similar message preceded. I expect they want to make sure that after 10 years you haven’t lost interest- which results in wasted time and money waiting to see who orders their allocations.

Ryan,
How long have you been on the list? I think I have been waiting 8-9 years Maybe 10.

I signed on in 2009 and this is the first of those types of emails I have ever received. I hope that is good news for me!

If u got the email to confirm. U should get an offer in the next couple of weeks. Is what I’m told.

This was the case for me a while back. I received that message and after replying that I was still interested I received my first offer a few weeks later.

I’ve gotten that same email 2 years in a row now. I’ve been on the waitlist since 2012.

How long has everyone been on the wait list. I joined in 2008/9 and just got this teaser email for the first time this year.

Signed up in 2012. #nevermakingit

Interesting that folks that signed up in 2012 have gotten this email. I signed up in 2009, and have never gotten anything like this… just the regular ‘no soup for you’ email.

If you’re on the list, are you able to purchase single bottles of offers or only ‘packages’? Never been on the list and I’m just curious.

There seem to be more and more bottles available at retail / auction / CC of current releases at prices approaching release price now.

Cheers.

You should email them. Their customer service is very good

I received the same email. I don’t know exactly when I signed up, but I would ballpark it at close to 10 years.