SQN Email

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
R. Wilhite
Posts: 184
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 7:19 am

SQN Email

#1 Post by R. Wilhite » January 24th, 2018, 7:29 pm

Anyone else get a “still interested?” email from them today? I don’t want to get my hopes up, but I am hoping this means good things coming my way
Ryan Wilhite

User avatar
jnbrown
Posts: 291
Joined: March 6th, 2012, 8:03 am

SQN Email

#2 Post by jnbrown » January 24th, 2018, 7:43 pm

One of the local shops here has a bunch of SQN on their web site.
Price averages around $300. Definitely out of my budget.
Joel

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

SQN Email

#3 Post by Alan Eden » January 24th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Binnys has the 13’s on the shelf
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

J3ff S@g@n
Posts: 29
Joined: January 9th, 2018, 9:25 am

SQN Email

#4 Post by J3ff S@g@n » January 24th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Does Binnys usually get SQN? I was unaware

User avatar
Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: February 9th, 2014, 12:49 pm

SQN Email

#5 Post by Alan Eden » January 24th, 2018, 10:10 pm

Its not in all stores but you can find it, along with other cult wines like Abreu, Bevan, etc
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

David Schliecker
Posts: 207
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 11:58 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

SQN Email

#6 Post by David Schliecker » January 25th, 2018, 7:36 am

I am on the waiting list (about 5 years in at this point) and didn't get an email today.

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 7730
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

SQN Email

#7 Post by larry schaffer » January 25th, 2018, 8:57 am

The number of offers for SQN wines, including newer releases, on WineBid is absolutely bonkers right now. Pricing is still relatively high, but I'm thinking that supply/demand may change things around in the near future.

I'm not sure how much SQN goes out directly to retailers - Manfred may have had strong connections with some early on that continue - but many many retailers will personally be on the list, or have good friends on the list - and then these end up on retail shelves. I see it in SB County from time to time as well.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Dan.Gord0n
Posts: 2660
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 10:47 am

SQN Email

#8 Post by Dan.Gord0n » January 25th, 2018, 9:30 am

Alan Eden wrote:Its not in all stores but you can find it, along with other cult wines like Abreu, Bevan, etc
For years Binnys has had many cult type wines in the stores with the separate high end wine rooms. However, their pricing always seemed to be well over "retail" and sometimes higher than secondary market pricing. I haven't been in one of the wine rooms in a couple years - how is pricing nowadays on these types of wines? Close to a retail/mailing list pricing or still well above?

I think that SQN has been steadily increasing production - I don't recall that productions numbers are reported in letters or reviews like many years ago but I have just have had a sense that new vineyards are coming on line and being included that weren't included say 5+ years ago. Combine potentially increased production and higher prices than say 5 years ago and I think the result is that there is much more volume that finds its way into the secondary market shortly after release. Anecdotally, I'd say that 10 years or so ago the market "cleared" (or "normalized" with secondary market volume) relatively quickly after release - maybe a few months - and then say 5 or so years ago that time lengthened to maybe 12-18 months and now I think it may be more like 24-36 months after release.

However, from posts on this board around release time, it doesn't seem like the wait time to move from waiting list to mailing list is shrinking by much - no doubt due to the strong continuing consistency and quality of the wines - and so the overall SQN market seems to still be supported at this point.

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3405
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

SQN Email

#9 Post by Scott G r u n e r » January 25th, 2018, 11:53 am

To the OP question- I think this is definitely good news for you (assuming you still want the wines)- when I made the list a similar message preceded. I expect they want to make sure that after 10 years you haven't lost interest- which results in wasted time and money waiting to see who orders their allocations.
//Cynic

User avatar
bob poirier
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 986
Joined: December 2nd, 2009, 12:11 pm
Location: North Shore Mass

SQN Email

#10 Post by bob poirier » January 25th, 2018, 1:52 pm

R. Wilhite wrote:Anyone else get a “still interested?” email from them today? I don’t want to get my hopes up, but I am hoping this means good things coming my way
Ryan,
How long have you been on the list? I think I have been waiting 8-9 years Maybe 10.

User avatar
Chris Barnes
Posts: 121
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 11:22 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

SQN Email

#11 Post by Chris Barnes » January 25th, 2018, 2:26 pm

I signed on in 2009 and this is the first of those types of emails I have ever received. I hope that is good news for me!

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7220
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

SQN Email

#12 Post by Mark Y » January 25th, 2018, 2:30 pm

If u got the email to confirm. U should get an offer in the next couple of weeks. Is what I’m told.
Y.e.

User avatar
David Whitworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 497
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 10:25 am
Location: Issaquah, WA

SQN Email

#13 Post by David Whitworth » January 25th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:To the OP question- I think this is definitely good news for you (assuming you still want the wines)- when I made the list a similar message preceded. I expect they want to make sure that after 10 years you haven't lost interest- which results in wasted time and money waiting to see who orders their allocations.

This was the case for me a while back. I received that message and after replying that I was still interested I received my first offer a few weeks later.

User avatar
Adam P
Posts: 164
Joined: December 15th, 2013, 9:44 pm

SQN Email

#14 Post by Adam P » January 28th, 2018, 9:31 pm

I’ve gotten that same email 2 years in a row now. I’ve been on the waitlist since 2012.
Adam Parente

User avatar
Chris Barnes
Posts: 121
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 11:22 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

SQN Email

#15 Post by Chris Barnes » January 31st, 2018, 7:49 am

How long has everyone been on the wait list. I joined in 2008/9 and just got this teaser email for the first time this year.

User avatar
ky1em!ttskus
Posts: 4500
Joined: January 27th, 2012, 7:38 am

SQN Email

#16 Post by ky1em!ttskus » January 31st, 2018, 2:32 pm

Signed up in 2012. #nevermakingit

JYoung
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 701
Joined: August 3rd, 2012, 9:37 pm
Location: seattle

SQN Email

#17 Post by JYoung » January 31st, 2018, 3:01 pm

Interesting that folks that signed up in 2012 have gotten this email. I signed up in 2009, and have never gotten anything like this... just the regular 'no soup for you' email.
jason

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 7730
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

SQN Email

#18 Post by larry schaffer » January 31st, 2018, 3:04 pm

If you're on the list, are you able to purchase single bottles of offers or only 'packages'? Never been on the list and I'm just curious.

There seem to be more and more bottles available at retail / auction / CC of current releases at prices approaching release price now.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33809
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

SQN Email

#19 Post by Neal.Mollen » January 31st, 2018, 3:07 pm

JYoung wrote:Interesting that folks that signed up in 2012 have gotten this email. I signed up in 2009, and have never gotten anything like this... just the regular 'no soup for you' email.
You should email them. Their customer service is very good
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

garrett devries
Posts: 79
Joined: July 1st, 2014, 5:02 am

SQN Email

#20 Post by garrett devries » January 31st, 2018, 3:37 pm

I received the same email. I don't know exactly when I signed up, but I would ballpark it at close to 10 years.

User avatar
Charles Kersten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 304
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:17 pm
Location: Wisconsin

SQN Email

#21 Post by Charles Kersten » January 31st, 2018, 3:51 pm

larry schaffer wrote:If you're on the list, are you able to purchase single bottles of offers or only 'packages'? Never been on the list and I'm just curious.
The "Estate" syrah and grenache (Extended Barrel Aged) come as a boxed set (6)
The "regular" syrah, grenache and white are by the bottle.

User avatar
Pete Lawley
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 585
Joined: April 27th, 2009, 3:25 pm
Location: Encinitas (San Diego), CA

SQN Email

#22 Post by Pete Lawley » January 31st, 2018, 4:30 pm

Chris Barnes wrote:How long has everyone been on the wait list. I joined in 2008/9 and just got this teaser email for the first time this year.
For a recent data point, I signed up in Feb 2008 and made the list in Feb last year. Nine years...
Pete

"I felt like a kazoo player sitting in with Coltrane" - Robin Williams on doing improv with Jonathan Winters.

User avatar
Kirk.Grant
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3187
Joined: May 27th, 2012, 1:29 pm
Location: Bangor, Maine

SQN Email

#23 Post by Kirk.Grant » January 31st, 2018, 5:32 pm

I signed up in the summer of 2007 and made the list in time to buy the 2012 EBAs
Cellartracker:Kirk Grant

mdaniel
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 339
Joined: June 24th, 2009, 11:56 am
Location: Central FL

SQN Email

#24 Post by mdaniel » February 1st, 2018, 1:28 pm

I don’t remember when I signed up, but it was about 9 years later when I got the same email...and an allocation a few weeks later. I’ve received allocations ever since that a fellow board member has been enjoying until I can convince my wife to ga back to work full-time. I’m hopeful that takes place once my son becomes a teenager in a few more years, as he is the reason she only works part-time.
Murray

B Brockmeyer
Posts: 40
Joined: January 19th, 2016, 8:59 am
Location: Napa

SQN Email

#25 Post by B Brockmeyer » February 1st, 2018, 2:49 pm

I think Adam P might be confusing the "Sine Qua Non Note" yearly email that thanks you for patiently being on the waiting list with this "Still Interested" email that is making sure you are still interested and almost ready to be elevated to the active buying list. I checked and my last note was around this time 2016 so not sure if I missed one last year or what.
Good Brett
ITB
Opinions=my own

ChrisMcElligott
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 120
Joined: August 23rd, 2012, 3:39 pm
Location: Omaha

SQN Email

#26 Post by ChrisMcElligott » February 1st, 2018, 2:52 pm

I plan on retiring in 20 years...so I thought today it would be appropriate to join the list! Should be impeccable timing [snort.gif]

User avatar
ky1em!ttskus
Posts: 4500
Joined: January 27th, 2012, 7:38 am

SQN Email

#27 Post by ky1em!ttskus » February 1st, 2018, 3:27 pm

B Brockmeyer wrote:I think Adam P might be confusing the "Sine Qua Non Note" yearly email that thanks you for patiently being on the waiting list with this "Still Interested" email that is making sure you are still interested and almost ready to be elevated to the active buying list. I checked and my last note was around this time 2016 so not sure if I missed one last year or what.
Haven’t received my “no soup” email yet either.

User avatar
Chris Barnes
Posts: 121
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 11:22 am
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

SQN Email

#28 Post by Chris Barnes » February 5th, 2018, 9:51 am

I just purchased my first allocation.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33809
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

SQN Email

#29 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 5th, 2018, 9:53 am

Mazel tov! I am purchasing my last
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Phil S t a f f o r d
Posts: 302
Joined: March 21st, 2010, 8:41 am
Location: Chicago

SQN Email

#30 Post by Phil S t a f f o r d » February 5th, 2018, 10:07 am

After 9 years and 10 months on the waiting list, I received my first offer today.

User avatar
T. Altmayer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4243
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 3:37 pm

SQN Email

#31 Post by T. Altmayer » February 5th, 2018, 10:28 am

With kids in college, this offering in particular is a struggle to pull the trigger, but I undoubtedly will end up buying.
Tom

User avatar
Seo S a l i m i
Posts: 849
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 5:23 pm
Location: NY

SQN Email

#32 Post by Seo S a l i m i » February 5th, 2018, 11:28 am

Happy to take any unwanted bottles of people's hands!

Hans Werge
Posts: 124
Joined: May 5th, 2010, 7:36 am

SQN Email

#33 Post by Hans Werge » February 5th, 2018, 12:25 pm

For those, who can buy them; How much are the magnums?

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33809
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

SQN Email

#34 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 5th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Wasn't offered any mags. The 6 pack of the EBA reds is $1500. Man, that is a lot of money.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4181
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 12:48 pm

SQN Email

#35 Post by Paul Jaouen » February 5th, 2018, 12:55 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:Wasn't offered any mags. The 6 pack of the EBA reds is $1500. Man, that is a lot of money.
Plus shipping and tax (for many).
Best,
Paul Jaouen

T Welch
Posts: 3109
Joined: April 12th, 2010, 9:46 pm

SQN Email

#36 Post by T Welch » February 5th, 2018, 12:59 pm

It's interesting that the 2014 EBAs haven't been reviewed in the WA.
T*R*U*E*T*T

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33809
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

SQN Email

#37 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 5th, 2018, 1:00 pm

T Welch wrote:It's interesting that the 2014 EBAs haven't been reviewed in the WA.
Not a subscriber but I see reviews on the web.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

mark rudner
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1373
Joined: April 23rd, 2009, 1:43 pm

SQN Email

#38 Post by mark rudner » February 5th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Hans Werge wrote:For those, who can buy them; How much are the magnums?
$1395++

Dan.Gord0n
Posts: 2660
Joined: May 10th, 2010, 10:47 am

SQN Email

#39 Post by Dan.Gord0n » February 5th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
T Welch wrote:It's interesting that the 2014 EBAs haven't been reviewed in the WA.
Not a subscriber but I see reviews on the web.
I think only the regular release syrah and grenache have been reviewed - both got 100pts from WA like recent EBAs but they weren't the EBAs....Neither Jeb nor Vinous either have posted reviews of the EBAs. Seems like last year the 13s were all reviewed in Sept and 12s in Aug/Sept. I think the 11s were the last with barrel scores before release.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33809
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

SQN Email

#40 Post by Neal.Mollen » February 5th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Dan.Gord0n wrote:
Neal.Mollen wrote:
T Welch wrote:It's interesting that the 2014 EBAs haven't been reviewed in the WA.
Not a subscriber but I see reviews on the web.
I think only the regular release syrah and grenache have been reviewed - both got 100pts from WA like recent EBAs but they weren't the EBAs....Neither Jeb nor Vinous either have posted reviews of the EBAs. Seems like last year the 13s were all reviewed in Sept and 12s in Aug/Sept. I think the 11s were the last with barrel scores before release.
Yes, my mistake.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
R. Gleiberm@n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 321
Joined: November 9th, 2012, 1:27 pm

SQN Email

#41 Post by R. Gleiberm@n » February 5th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Signed up 8/24/09. Got my first allocation 2/5/18. I'm all in. I love the stuff.
R odney

"You guys playin' cards?"

User avatar
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4802
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am
Location: Sunny South Florida

SQN Email

#42 Post by Ken Strauss » February 5th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Offered 2 boxes and 6 white...no mags.

All in.

The prices have been very steady.
My 1st year was 2009 and the price was $1320.00
This year the estate box is $1500.00.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

rick m
Posts: 318
Joined: July 6th, 2009, 10:59 am

SQN Email

#43 Post by rick m » February 5th, 2018, 4:33 pm

interesting...didn't get any offer via email today. went to the site and saw my allocation. looks like i got upgrade with 2 x 6 pack and 6 white with option to wish list another 6 pack and mag.

when is the deadline for this offer?
ITB
rick matsui

User avatar
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4802
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am
Location: Sunny South Florida

SQN Email

#44 Post by Ken Strauss » February 5th, 2018, 4:39 pm

rick m wrote:interesting...didn't get any offer via email today. went to the site and saw my allocation. looks like i got upgrade with 2 x 6 pack and 6 white with option to wish list another 6 pack and mag.

when is the deadline for this offer?
I received my mailer today.
February 20 is the deadline to order.
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

rick m
Posts: 318
Joined: July 6th, 2009, 10:59 am

SQN Email

#45 Post by rick m » February 5th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Ken Strauss wrote:
rick m wrote:interesting...didn't get any offer via email today. went to the site and saw my allocation. looks like i got upgrade with 2 x 6 pack and 6 white with option to wish list another 6 pack and mag.

when is the deadline for this offer?
I received my mailer today.
February 20 is the deadline to order.


thanks!
ITB
rick matsui

rick m
Posts: 318
Joined: July 6th, 2009, 10:59 am

SQN Email

#46 Post by rick m » February 5th, 2018, 4:49 pm

mark rudner wrote:
Hans Werge wrote:For those, who can buy them; How much are the magnums?
$1395++

did anyone get magnums offer? or is it all wish list?
ITB
rick matsui

User avatar
S. Stevenson
Posts: 643
Joined: February 4th, 2016, 3:05 pm
Location: Los Angeles

SQN Email

#47 Post by S. Stevenson » February 8th, 2018, 3:46 pm

rick m wrote:
mark rudner wrote:
Hans Werge wrote:For those, who can buy them; How much are the magnums?
$1395++

did anyone get magnums offer? or is it all wish list?
Is that right? Can't be that high.
Stan

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7220
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

SQN Email

#48 Post by Mark Y » February 8th, 2018, 3:59 pm

It’s for a 2 pack of magnum maybe?
Y.e.

M Kopecky
Posts: 17
Joined: April 28th, 2017, 9:31 am

SQN Email

#49 Post by M Kopecky » February 8th, 2018, 7:10 pm

How are th we usually priced on the aftermarket? Always wanted to try...
M.a.r.t.i.n.

User avatar
Ken Strauss
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4802
Joined: November 22nd, 2015, 9:03 am
Location: Sunny South Florida

SQN Email

#50 Post by Ken Strauss » February 8th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Yes
Mark Y wrote:It’s for a 2 pack of magnum maybe?
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”