How to Pronounce the ten Cru Beaujolais.

This is funny, and also informative! [wow.gif]

Sw9FJBOX7BE

Nice. I wouldn’t mind watching a similar series (albeit much longer) with all the lieux-dits or climats of Burgundy.

This is great!

Well Done! In the states we see Morgon, Moulin a Vent, Chiroubles, Fleurie, Brouilly and Cotes de Brouilly but I don’t think I’ve ever seen Saint Amour, Chenas, Julienas or Chiroubles.

44CF12E3-86F7-4136-B42A-20130782BD06.jpeg
Rare for me, but here in California.

Thanks for posting!
My favorite Beaujolais is Foillard Morgon Cote du py. Last week I had the cuvée Pi, which makes me think I’ve been pronouncing it wrong. Anyone know the correct pronunciation for py?

It’s “pih”. Both “py” and “pi” are pronounced the same way in French.

Not quite… it should sound like ‘pee’

lol ( having fun but not joking)

Well, the correct one lies somewhere in-between. Your pee takes a bit too long, whereas my “pih” is quite short.

It’s somewhere in-between. A short pee, if you will.

Not sure I understand, but there is absolutely no ‘i’ sounding pronunciation in Py trust me (french being my mother tongue).

Otto clearly has some training in linguistics, and he is quite right. The ee sound in English is longer than it is in many French words. You can reproduce it by saying pee and then stopping yourself short before you have finished the vowel sound.

Which vintage of Cuvee 3.14 did you have? I have a couple kicking around but I’m not sure when to tear into them as they’re a little too spendy to just crack into willy-nilly like most other beaujolais.

I see all of them available now and then. The only one I do not see regularly is Chenas.

It was the '13. They are so good when young and fresh that I wouldn’t hesitate to open any of them. I have not tried the Morgon side by side with the Fleurie or 3.14, so I can’t speak to the differences, I just love them all and every time I drink one I question why I don’t have them more often.

As for the pronunciation, I thought it was pee, but because of the ‘3.14’ we pronounce pi like a slice of ‘pie’. Thanks for the info.

Granger is still imported by Rosenthal, I believe. When I lived in a non-control state, that was the one I saw most often.

Well I’ve studied some French to know there is. However, I can imagine people might be thinking “i” like in “pie”, which isn’t the case - except for the final vowel in the diphthong that ends “pie”. The “i” here is like the "i"s in “Ritalin”.

I’ve just seen so many people see it pronounced as “pee” which usually makes people say it excessively long. It’s more like “pee” with 1½ "e"s instead of two.

About seven years in a university, yes. :slight_smile:

Yep. That’s it. T&V sometimes carries it.