Who drank some Giacosa in memory of Bruno?

I know I did. Been meaning to post some Giacosa notes that I’ve accumulated over a little bit (which I’ll get to), but I’ll start with the one from last night. To cheers a life well lived, I opened the 1964 Barbaresco Riserva Speciale - perfect condition, a bottle brought home from Italy and has been standing for quite some time. Hockey puck of sediment. Once decanted perfectly clear and free of sediment. Great color, looks a bit darker in the picture, but bricklike, however translucent enough to see your fingers through the glass. Nose was perfection, classic sweetness, great red fruit and tar. Great palate. Like the best Nebbiolo, a burst of acidity up front and then elegance and softness on the finish. Maybe it was the emotion of yesterday, but it felt to me like the best bottle of this wine that I’ve ever had. Cheers Bruno.
64 barb rsv.jpg

Now that’s how you shoot the moon!!!

I will be next Friday. Interestingly, I’m bringing the last vintage of Collina Rionda.

Bruno Giacosa was clearly a visionary. One of my wife’s favorite wines.

Opening the 1996 Rabaja tomorrow

If you want to send some or invite me, I’ll participate! flirtysmile

I’ve had a nasty cold so no bevs for me, but I bartered recently for a '79 Barbaresco Santo Stefano white label that’s going to get opened soon enough. RIP Bruno.

Weirdly, the night before he died, I opened, randomly and on my own, a bottle of 2001 Giacosa Asili white label. It was nice but nowhere near ready to drink for my tastes. A bit of that Giacosa sweetness came out, but it was not the most forgiving of wines.

Well done Daniel. No Giacosa for me yet but on the day I invited some fellow nebbiolo-lovers for a Giacosa memorial night with SS 71, Rionda 71, Falletto Riserva 89 and Barbaresco Riserva 90 as the main course. Will hopefully be a great night in honor of Il Maestro when we meet early March

Opening one tomorrow in an Italian restaurant I have not visited.