TN: Two From Baja...(short/boring)

Tried these two Fri night w/ Susan:

1. Aliximia Helios Valle de Guadalupe/Baja Calif (13.5%; Grenache vinified as white; www.Alixima.com; www.LMAWines.com) 2015: Med.light yellow color w/ murky cloudiness and some grainy sediment; bit SO2/pungent/matchsticks/dishwater very light grapefruity slight chalky/metallic altogether dull nose; rather soft/sour some earthy/chalky slight grapefruity little fruit rather bland/dull flavor; short soft/sour slight chalky/metallic/tangy no fruit flavor; little fruit or flavor and dull as dishwater. $12.00 (KK)

1. Casa Magoni Manaz Valle de Guadalupe/Baja Calif/Mexico VinoBlanco (80% Viognier/20% Fiano; 13%; www.CasaMagoni.com; www.LaCompetenciaImports.com; L 1 16 050) 2015: Med.light yellow color w/ tiny bubbles; very light pear/Viog slight earthy/stony rather pleasant/low-key/quiet nose; soft/fat light pear/Viog/peach slight spicy/cinammon some stony/earthy pleasant flavor; med. light/quiet/pear/Viog/peach soft/fat light earthy/stony finish; a pleasant enough enough quiet Viog but nothing to write home to Mom about. $12.00 (KK)

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Supposedly, Baja is making some pretty good wines these days. These two don’t support those claims.
    The Aliximia was sold to me as a Grenache Blanc. It is not. It is simply a Grenache made as a white wine.
    The Magoni interested me because it had Fiano in the blend. It reminded me of a Viog from the CentralVlly cropped at 8 tons/acre. Pleasant enough but just that.
    Tom

Thanks for the notes.

I recently had a pretty darn good Baja red - here’s my note:

• 2013 Villa Montefiori Cabernet - Sangiovese - Mexico, Baja California, Valle de Guadalupe (11/24/2017)
    Really enjoyed this! Rich and ripe, but still retained some varietal character with the Sangio a little more in control, but a little tobacco leaf from the Cab. A little more oak than I prefer but not overdone. Good balance - maybe could’ve used a touch more acidity. Very pleasing to my palate - easy drinking but interesting varietal expression. Probably not the structure to age but should go another 5 years no problem. (90 pts.)

Tom, as noted in the San Diego County wineries discussion, there are at least two wineries making Nebbiolo in Baja California. Maybe an addition to our next NEB tasting?

There are many more than two. There are plenty blending it with various other grapes. We had a Tempranillo/Nebbiolo blend in Guadalajara a couple weeks ago. Interesting stuff, nothing spectacular yet.

I found this blog entry for Mexican wine from the writer of A Zinfandel Odyssey:

A Piece of Earth: Terroir – Rhoda Stewart’s Journal on Wine
“Camillo Magoni: The Power of One (to shape a region)”
August 29, 2013

19050718_238516473311476_3108192494093860864_n.jpg

There are really good wines being produced in Guadeloupe.

Last year FMIII and I went to a Mexican dinner event at a hotel in socal with friends and wives. The hotel brought in about 15 boutique producers to our surprise.

Wow, they were great. Really good wine from small producers doing it the right way. Bordeaux blends, Grenache, and the acid driven whites were the strongest. Didn’t take any notes as it was date night.

I’d love to go tasting there with the gang but you’re taking your life into your own hands.

I read that Louis-Antoine Luyt, who produces “Pipeno” wines from Chile’s ancient vineyards, is collaborating with the Téllez family to make wine from the Tecate region of Mexico for Bichi:

Bichi: Naked Wine in Baja”
screen-shot-2017-08-16-at-5-38-05-pm.png
"…Tecate, very close to the U.S. border. The soils in these regions are mainly sandy loam over granite, excellent for winegrowing, and some of the most distinctive vineyards are planted as high as 2,500 ft in elevation. The nearby Pacific Ocean brings a lovely spine of salinity into the wines and helps moderate temperatures, providing more moisture here than to other regions of Mexico.

"…Louis-Antoine convinced Noel and Jair to seek out heirloom plantings of Misión, as he had done in Chile, and produce “vinos sin maquillaje” (wines without makeup) from them. The Téllez brothers saw connections between Louis-Antoine’s approach to wine and Jair’s approach to cooking, and like a bolt of lightning, Bichi Wines was born. Noel has left his career as an attorney in Tijuana and now oversees the running of the winery. From finding these almost forgotten heritage vineyards, to day-to-day relationships with local farmers and fabrication of the concrete tinajas
screen-shot-2017-08-16-at-5-38-51-pm.png
The Wines:

• "Pet Mex comes from a single, dry-farmed, and own-rooted 69-year-old vineyard comprised of a mysterious grape variety that remains unidentified. The vines are planted close to the Pacific Ocean at 1,066 ft above sea level on sandy loam and granite soils in the area of San Antonio de las Minas in Ensenada, Baja…The result is a fresh and vibrant sparkling rosado, a perfect vin de soif to knock down on a hot day. No filtration or added SO2.

• "Listan is produced from 100-year-old pie franco Misión (Listan Prieto) vines grown at 2,400 ft elevation on sandy loam and granite soils in the mountains of Tecate, Mexico…A light ruby in the glass and at 12.5% abv, this is a supremely drinkable expression of the Mission grape with notes of floral, peppery red fruits, and refreshing briny acidity. To pair with peppered beef and dishes rich in umami.

• "La Santa comes from centenarian, own-rooted Rosa del Peru (Moscatel Negro) vines grown at 2,400 ft elevation on sandy loam and granite soils in Tecate…A lively and vertical vin de soif, La Santa is almost rosé colored in the glass, delicately floral, with red and dark fruits and juicy acidity.

• "No Sapiens comes from a single, dry-farmed, 69-year-old vineyard comprised of a mysterious grape variety that remains unidentified. The farmer says it could be Dolcetto, Luyt thinks maybe Cariñena due to it’s sharp acidity, no one is quite sure…This is the most linear of the Bichi wines, with crunchy dark fruit, ample vibrancy and structure. A wine that will get better with time in the bottle.

• “Mistico is comprised of a field blend of grapes from the various parcels and terruños that Bichi works with in both Tecate and Valle de Guadalupe…It is a fresh, broad, and complex vino tinto with notes of red fruits, spice, and mineral…”

Is that pronounced Buy-ya?

I’ve tried a bunch of the Bichi wines over the past couple of years (four of the new ones at the recent Brumaire tasting in Oakland). They’ve been hit-and-miss for me, some quite nice and some with too much brett for my liking. I’ve had similar experience with the Luyt wines though better consistency with them overall. The “Pet-Mex” and “No Sapiens” were my favorites of the new Bichi wines.