'13 Carneros Chard, '14 Dry Creek Zin

2013 Vine Cliff Chardonnay, Carneros – The aromas are typical Chardonnay, with green apple over a touch of Anjou pear. There are also faint hints of ground coriander seed with a tiny touch of grass. The palate is medium bodied, with balanced acidity and flavors that follow the aromas. This is pleasant but undistinctive, with a lack of intensity. There is some intricacy to the finish, but overall the impression is sadly a little bland. Frankly, I’d just as soon drink Kendall Jackson or even better a good entry-level Macon for less money. Rated 86.5. Ready to drink, should hold for a few years but I can’t see improvement. Nothing wrong but not much right.

2014 Quivira Zinfandel, Dry Creek – Healthy deep ruby color. The aromas feature black raspberry and blackberry brambles along with some unexpected but good conifer notes; the intensity is partly from the alcohol, listed at 14.8%. The palate is rich and balanced, more polite than expected. The flavors are harmonious, balanced and without the stridency of some more full-throttle Zins. I haven’t had this before, but will buy a few more bottles and lay them down for a substantial time. This is a serious candidate for those who like Zins that can mature into claret-like subtlety. Rated 89 today, up to 4 points of improvement possible. I won’t open another for ~5 years. A fascinating wine, albeit young and abrupt as a squalling infant. But I’m in for the long haul.

Dan Kravitz

Nice notes as always. The Quivira fly under the radar but have shown well for me. I believe Hugh Chapell is the winemaker and is doing a real nice job.

Thanks for the notes, Dan!

I initially thought you meant a Dry Creek Vineyards product, not a wine from the Dry Creek AVA. :neutral_face:

I concur with the sentiment that Quivira doesn’t receive attention from the board (much less anywhere else).

Hi Drew,

Sorry for the confusion. I do not blame the estimable Dave Stare for naming his winery after his vineyard district. Without looking it up, I don’t know whether Dry Creek Vineyards or the Dry Creek AVA came first (I’d guess Dry Creek Vineyards), but I do know that when he named it, Dry Creek was very little known. I didn’t even think of that when I posted, as ‘Dry Creek’ came after ‘Carneros’, and I assumed it would be taken as AVA.

Does anybody but me remember when the execrable Donn Sebastiani trademarked the name ‘Domaine Chardonnay’ for a Central Valley blend of Chenin and Colombard, but had to withdraw it before it hit the market, as the howls from growers threatened to become a life-threatening pitchfork event for him and his “business”?

Dan Kravitz

Hi gentlemen,

I just thought I’d shed some light on the Dry Creek Vineyard/Dry Creek Valley AVA timeline. David Stare started the winery (Dry Creek Vineyard) in 1972, which was the first winery built in the area after Prohibition. The creek is literally right behind the winery, thus the inspiration for the name. Dave was one of the pioneers of Dry Creek Valley and initiated the formalization of the Dry Creek Valley AVA status in 1983. Hope that helps!

Thank you Sara,

That is what I would have guessed. Dave Stare is a pioneer and one of the better people I’ve known. I was aware that he started before the name was known and not surprised to hear that he spearheaded the AVA.

Dan Kravitz