Sunday TNs - A trio of Briords

We drink a good amount of the Pepiere Briords in our house, in some Summers going through a couple cases. But we generally drink it on release and just replenish by the vintage. Years ago, having read somewhere that the wine could benefit from some cellar time, I put away a mixed case and subsequently lost track of it in the cellar. A couple weeks ago, while digging through a stack of boxes, I found it again.

To be honest, off these three bottles, I’m not convinced the wines gain enough to merit the effort to cellar them. With wines like Bordeaux, Burgundy, Barolo or Riesling, the aging process can be truly transformative, but I didn’t really get that here. These wines (with the exception of the slightly oxidative 2007) are still eminently drinkable, but I would say that they have successfully persisted in the cellar as opposed to transforming into something new and different. If you had the 2005 side-by-side with a 2015, I’m not sure there would be enough of a difference between them - in fact, blind, I’m not sure I would be able to tell them apart.

Oh well, fun experiment, and I still have the rest of the case to drink through, but probably not something I would bother doing again.

Dry, with a citric note on the palate - maybe a little more “rounded”/less taut than a younger wine. Very nice, and certainly not showing any decline at this point.

Conversely, this might be a touch more structured/taut on the palate than the '05, and seemingly more persistent on the finish. I recall being so-so on the 2006 vintage on release, but this is pretty good today.

That oxidative note carries through to the palate as well - if you tried this wine on it’s own, you might not pick up on this and just think that the wine was less structured and maybe a touch dilute, but having had the other two wines first, this is just beginning to head downhill.

Posted from CellarTracker

Good for you! I too stash away Musky, have some 2010s ready to go, from L Papin.

I cellar Briords but find it’s not predictable which ones gain from aging to justify missing the electricity they offer the first year or so after release.

Impressive agers (sometimes not consistently across bottles) have been the 1996, 1997, and 2004. My recollection is 2007 as well so you may have had a bum bottle. 2010, 2012, and 2014 all seemed to have the stuffing to age well, but again it’s not that predictable.

There are those that swear by aged Briords.

I love the Briords for the first five to ten years or so. They survive for years after that, and I still like them, but prefer the freshness of the newer vintages. I have a '12 Clisson in my hand right now, and it’s still well within it’s sweet spot.