Can you help me find that "burgundian" taste in less expensive wines?

I have been fortunately been spoiled with drinking lots of amazing wines from mentors and friends in the business. The wines I’ve fallen the hardest for are Burgundy wines (pinot, chards and gamay). I have drunk multiple grand and premier crus and now when I taste other types of similar grapes/wines from lower classifications or from other parts of the world, they all fall flat for me (granted I have not had a ton of experience drinking these wines so that is why I’d like recommendations). Unfortunately, I don’t want to spend $80-300 a night to drink these wines! (Ok, I want to but my wallet doesn’t) Granted I haven’t had a ton of experience tasting a lot of burgundy because I just got started.

I do love some of the wines coming out of Bien Nacido, WS, 3 Sticks, Sojouorn, but they are…different. Still amazing, but just not the same.

Can you give me some recommendations of wines that taste more like a typical burgundian wine (white and red) that I can buy for under let’s say $35-40? Any part of the world is fine as I love to explore new things. Maybe there are village level wines that are amazing that I could pick up for that price point?

Thank you much - you all have helped me with my wine education over the past 6 months and I’ve learned a ton!

If Burgundy village wines and wines from less pricey appellations don’t do it for you, I think you will have difficulty finding anything else. Things like Gelin Fixin work for me. With Gamay, I’d think there are plenty of options in the price range.

-Al

If Burgundy village wines and wines from less pricey appellations don’t do it for you, I think you will have difficulty finding anything else. Things like Gelin Fixin work for me. With Gamay, I’d think there are plenty of options in the price range.

I haven’t had much experience with the village and less pricey appellations - I would love some recommendations of specific bottles to buy and I will get them immediately to try out. Thanks!

• I’ll try Gelin Fixin. I also have been diving into a bunch of Beaujolais crus recently.

The Willamette Valley! [wow.gif] Try Goodfellow/Matello, Vincent, Cameron, Biggio-Hamina for starters. Move on to Day Wines, Kelly Fox, Walter Scott, St. Innocent and about a dozen others. [cheers.gif]

+1 for Beaujolais and less expensive Burgundy.

For Beaujolais, there are just so many options, so I’ll start with four blue chip producers: Foillard, Roilette, Thivin, Lapierre. These are all top estates with good availability.

For Burgundy, there are also a ton of viable options. See:

Jeremy, IMO, you are never going to find the pleasures of Burgundy in new world wines. If, truly, you are looking for what I think of as Burgundy - soil-driven wines of finesse, balance, detail, focus, intensity without excess weight and moderate alcohol - and not power and concentration (although you can get some of that in Burgundy from vintages like 2015, along with some excess ripeness for my palate), there is an ocean of Burgundy awaiting you for under $40 (and even under $25). As for Gamay, for my palate, Beaujolais remains the best bargain on the planet. Here are some topics to view for value Burgundy:

This is possible. It won’t give you 100% Burgundy profile but these wines can taste like Burgundy.
Last night I tasted a wine called EIEIO pinot noir from Oregon. 2002 vintage. It was terrific and quite like Burgundy in many ways.

Try
Sandler Bien Nacido
Kelley Fox any PN
Aleaxana Revana PN
Littorai Savoy

Be interested to know which bottling. We did the E, O and W in 2002 IIRC.

Encruzado from the Dao in Portugal.
For reds, there are a few Pinots from Austria that might fit the bill.

Amazing feedback and recommendations! Thank you so much everyone - this will keep me busy for a while.

Hi Jeremy

Agree that for Oregon, Kelley Fox is very good. I enjoy Brick House and Thomas also. These wines are not going to be completely like red burgundy but they are very pinot.

Regarding less expensive burgundy (red and white), there are many threads on this topic but if you cannot access them, there are some very good producers whose wines don’t cost a bundle. Off the bat I can think of Denis Clair, Lafouge, Guillemot, Marc Roy, Lamy, Langoureau.

Good luck,
Doug

Dublere 2015 Chorey les Beaune ( or any of his 2014 or 2015s from Beaune or Savigny les Beaune
Henri Jouan Bourgogne Rouge
Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge ( go up to about $50 and his Vonnegut-Romanee and Chamolle-Musigny are fabulous - try 2012, 2014 or 2015)
Bouchard Beaune du Château premier cru

For a few. I would rather have these tha Beaujolais or Pinot noir from any other part of the world.

For whites, try Bourgogne Blancs from Bernard Moreau (about $26), Dublere and Charles Van Canneyt. Get 2014s if you can.

For my palate, there are some similarities I find in the Etna reds that I can relate to red burgundy.

Like you, for me only Chardonnay from Burgundy can scratch a particular itch. Happily there are many fine choices outside of Chassagne, Meursault, and Puligny. Lots of moderately priced Chablis puts a smile on my face (eg. Jean Collet’s Montee de Tonnerre is a steal, usually under $30). And I’ve been trying some Macon/Pouilly-Fuisse whites that are just lovely, and in the same price range. Eg. Quarts or Saumaize-Michelin. There are many more.

Do you mean like “Breakfast of Champions?”

I love auto correct.

There’s been many TNs that I’ve read comparing Rioja’s Lopez de Heredia Bosconia wines to Burgundy. As a matter of fact, there’s a current thread here on the 2005 Bosconia Reserva. You may want to try out the Bosconia Reserva and they are definitely in the “less expensive” category, relative to the Gran reserve (also favorably compared by some to Burgundy).

I will find out Jim. It was terrific!