TN: 77 Biondi-Santi Brunello Riserva,09 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre,85 Caparzo, 99Poggio al Vento

We were finally able to arrange an evening with Mike DeLang and our pal Joop, and the wines were stellar.

Mike brought a 2009 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre. It was in perfect shape, and gave great pleasure before dinner, and then even more two hours later. There was so much going on in the nose and on the palate that I was surprised it gave even more later. We just don’t get to drink whites like this very often.

• 1977 Tenuta Greppo (Biondi-Santi) Brunello di Montalcino Riserva - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (21.01.2018)
    I bought this in 1983 in Florence (30-40 $). For 20 years or so it was in a metal trunk in a friend’s root cellar in Montana (along with a few other wines). The last 15 years it has been over here in my cellar.

The fill was great (IN), the cork came out in one piece. I had a wee sip, and after noting that there were no faults, I put a neutral cork in. That was at 10am, and we drank it at around 6pm. The color was amazing. Clear ruby/garnet, with almost no bricking. The aromas were terrific, floral and cherry, with a refined earthiness (I know that sounds silly). Taking a sip showed real freshness. Sour cherry, tobacco, a hint of caramel, great acidity, and very impressive length.

It was a real treat, and I was so happy that it was in such great shape.
Posted from CellarTracker
20180120_100115.jpg
20180120_171717(0).jpg
Joop brought the 1985 Caparzo Brunello. Here the color was much darker, and the taste was mouth-filling and still refreshing. In super condition it showed balance and no signs of age. Very delicious.

I then decanted a 1999 Tenuta Col d’Orcia Brunello di Montalcino Riserva Poggio al Vento. Back in 2007 Joop and I were at Benvenuto Brunello in Hamburg. I had a really nice chat with the Col d’Orcia guy, and he ended up giving me this bottle! This was an impressive young bruiser. The nose came bursting out of the glass, and it was big, but not heavy. At 19 years this was not a baby, but still very youthful. I can imagine it going strong for a couple of decades still.

The for fun we went down to the cellar and pulled a 2003 Allegrini Recioto della Valpolicella Classico Giovanni Allegrini. Not in the same league as the others, it was a fun, slightly simple dessert wine.

A great night of wineaux fun and great company!
20180121_114113.jpg