It's Time For Transparency From Champagne

You read a glowing report on a Champagne and are confident that it’s a good buy. Or better yet, you have a bottle of something, love it, and decide on a bulk purchase. If the reported disparity in quality with the 2006 Taittinger Comtes indicates anything, it’s that if you don’t know the disgorgement date, you don’t know the Champagne. Champagne producers have a vested interest in obfuscation. Take Dom Perignon for example. If you a making five million bottles of something, you don’t want people cherry picking particular disgorgements; you want to sell all five million bottles. Obviously this is not in the consumers’ best interest. And this is true for NV cuvées as well. There is absolutely no reason why disgorgement dates and base vintages should not be disclosed, other than to keep the buyer deliberately confused. With the amount of volume coming out of a Champagne, there is no legitimate reason why this should continue. Your thoughts?

So be more like Krug? :wink:

My favorite was always stores that hung shelf-talkers with reviews from 10 years ago because it was the highest score they could find for a particular Grande Marque non-vintage.

I just took a cursory look, and most of the growers we sell have disgorgements and dosage. Many are much more specific.

You want truth in advertising? Good luck . . .

Due to a lack of interest, no more whining about bottle variation with Champagne is allowed!

I’m interested, but what exactly are we going to do to change things?

Sign a petition.

With the volume produced from the region being so large, any kind of meaningful consumer action would probably be of no value. But it would be a step in the right direction, if professional critics refused to critique and rate any wine that didn’t disclose a disgorgement date on the bottle. And the ones that are reviewed include the disgorgement date. At least that way the consumer can know whether the wine that they are considering purchasing is the same as the one critiqued.

You could just buy Prosecco or Franciacorta instead, because they always disclose disgorgement and vintage… oh wait…

Buy good growers who put relevant information on the bottle already? I guess maybe you’ll miss out on the occasional ‘WOW’ from a big name, but so?

I believe Jacquesson provides disgorgement info on the back label- That said, their production #s might not be large enough to warrent multiple disgorgements in which case my post here is worthless…