2012 Scherrer OMV Zin!!! & 2008 Westrey Pinot Noir

• 2012 Scherrer Winery Zinfandel Old and Mature Vines Scherrer Vineyard Alexander Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (1/15/2018)
    Wow. This wine is in the zone. Everything is complete and balanced. The aromatics are so enticing. Raspberries, cherries and a little bit of boysenberry syrup. There are also earthy and graphite elements. Medium bodied and medium acidity. Tannins hold it all together. Had over 2 nights. Not much change. Nothing tells me this wine will fade anytime soon but I would say drink now and enjoy what Zin can be. (96 pts.)

2008 Westrey Pinot Noir Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/16/2018)
    Getting back to checking on some 08s. I had this over 2 nights and was dramatically better on the first night. It has started to transition but the fruit was still fairly fresh with medium acid and a good amount of tannin. On the second night the wine showed more aged qualities but had gone a bit out of balance. It was my only bottle so it is a non issue for me but I would say either pop and pour or give 2 or 3 more years.

Cheers,

Jason

Did a tasting with Judy and Fred last Summer that was epic… About 8 of us and another group of 4, he must have opened a dozen or more bottles. Ive been buying the OMV and Shale Terrace on futures a few years and he always wrote in the newsletters how well they age. I asked him to open something a little older. He opened an 08 OMV which proved him right to me. If we were blinded I would have guessed bordeaux blend NOT Zin. It was really a pleasure to drink and has convinced me to keep my hands off them as long as I can. Put a few aside if you have more, you’ll be glad you did

Awesome. Yeah I still have some 08s that I am planning on digging out and re-visiting. As well as the 07s which were a vintage that showed amazing in its youth. Looking forward to checking in on those as well.
Jason

Thanks Jason! OMVs are great with a little bottle age.

great note Jason; Scherrer is such an amazing QPR

Excellent wine and super nice people.

Tom

I just had this Scherrer last week, and agree it is in the zone. What a fantastic wine - restraint and balance.

David, that was exactly my experience. The first time I tasted at his place years ago, he opened 13 bottles. It was a good thing I was spitting!

Scherrer is the best.

I am big fan of Scherrer zin, and as others have mentioned, I prefer them with some age. They get even better. Such beautiful wines!