Williams Selyem spring release coming

Heads up to WS mailing list customers:

I just received the notice for the advanced release offered to their “very best customers” on Monday, January 22 which will last for 2 weeks before the general release to all customers on Monday, February 5.

I’m not a “best” customer, but a loyal longtime customer. Looking forward to the offer!

Always look forward to this one. What is everyone else getting?

It’s a bit of an owie.

I just go for some of the whole schmere.

I generally pick up 1 of every single pinot noir and chardonnay that they make. Anyone noticing any stylistic differences with the new winemaker vs. Cabral?

Josh, I`m opting for a few Pinots including RRV, Sonoma Coast, Westside Road and Olivet Lane; I pass on all others. This is the least serious of the 2 releases in terms of quality and pricing so I go for much more in the fall.

Its a good question and Id like to know others feedback as well. I do not open these Pinot for at least 7 years from the vintage so I do not have any to give. I do expect there will be some, but the vineyard designates should be relatively similar given vintage considerations chichis one of the reasons I still buy after the sellout in 98`.

Ive met Jeff Mangahas, the current winemaker, and like him both personally and professionally. I saw him tour the vines at Burt Williams vineyard, Morning Dew Ranch, and consult with the vineyard manager on matters pertinent to the best interests of the fruit. He seemed quite diligent, capable and impassioned. I expect him wines to reflect his persona.

I think the ‘area’ releases (Sonoma Coast, Sonoma County, central Coast, RRV) make for great entertaining wines. I don’t fear opening multiples to serve a group, don’t fret the aging, and can relax with them.

Last night we drank the 2009 Sonoma Coast and RRV with guests and they were lovely (with chicken Parmesan and saffron rice.) Great for opening spontaneously, etc!

Same with their unoaked chard, it’s a true guest pleaser.

Agreed. I usually pop for all of them.

I assume you’ve been on long enough to get all the Rochiolli and Allen you want, any special reason you pass on these?
Years ago someone recommended the 07 Pellegrini (Olivet Lane) Pinot as a value play, I think it was $18.00 and it was a great qpr. I believe that was the last year Merry Edwards consulted.

I used to be on the early list, now I’m not. Always confused me. But I’m in pretty long on this release … younger daughter’s birth year! It is so good that Olivet Lane has been back in the stable.

Josh, I`m opting for a few Pinots including RRV, Sonoma Coast, Westside Road and Olivet Lane; I pass on all others. This is the least serious of the 2 releases in terms of quality and pricing so I go for much more in the fall.[/quote]
I assume you’ve been on long enough to get all the Rochiolli and Allen you want, any special reason you pass on these?
.[/quote]

I was referring to passing on all others in this just now released list. I do get ample quantity of the premium wines and opt for most if not all allocated.

Thank you Blake. I haven’t disliked a bottle yet, but haven’t tasted through their entire catalogue of wines yet, so I appreciate the feedback.

Just got the release email. No library wines, and the inaugural release of a Fanucchi-Wood Zinfandel. Hartford makes a zin from there and it’s excellent.

Here is the list of wines -

The Spring 2018 Release will include the following wines:
• 2016 Central Coast Pinot Noir
• 2016 Sonoma County Pinot Noir
• 2016 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir
• 2016 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
• 2016 Terra De Promissio Vineyard Pinot Noir
• 2016 Westside Road Neighbors Pinot Noir
• 2016 Olivet Lane Vineyard Pinot Noir
• 2016 Unoaked Chardonnay
• 2016 Heintz Vineyard Chardonnay
• 2016 Olivet Lane Vineyard Chardonnay
• 2016 Fanucchi-Wood Road Zinfandel
• 2016 Papera Vineyard Zinfandel
• 2016 Vista Verde Vineyard Late Harvest Gewürztraminer, 375mL

I made the list a couple of releases ago but have not ordered yet. A friend has been on the list for years and has shared a few pinots over the years, but we had not had a Chardonnay until last week. I bought a few bottles from my friends allocation and opened a Drake Estate last week. We really liked it and I am planning to pick up a few chards when the release opens to me.

…but the Drake is not showing up in the list of wines offered…

I’m going with the unoaked Chardonnay.

Next release maybe. I will still buy a few chards to try the others.

The Fanucchi-Wood Road Zinfandel is new. I’m looking forward to trying this.

Tom