2009 AU BON CLIMAT SANFORD & BENEDICT VINEYARD PINOT NOIR

2009 AU BON CLIMAT SANFORD & BENEDICT VINEYARD PINOT NOIR- 13.5% abv; decanted prior to serving in Riedel Burgundy stems; at first the nose had some briary, wild red and black fruit with wild red raspberry most prevalent; with time everything came together, the wine mellowed and balanced out and the true treasures were unveiled; now the fruit is tamed down and I`m getting cranberry, blueberry, raspberry and cherry with a vanilla accent; the texture is a tactile pleasing viscous which serves to lengthen the finish; this is really good now and has the acidity and structure to evolve for many more years before reaching its apex.

This was one of many special tributes Jim Clendenen paid to Santa Barbara County vineyards in his Historic Vineyards Collection as noted on the label.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_19c3.jpeg

I love me some ABC with a few years on it. Blake, have you been holding onto this since release, or was it a recent purchase from the tasting room?

Eric, I bought a case when it was first released and have most of it still in the cellar. I opened this one just to see where it is and when to re-visit which will be in a few years= 3-5. Its still got a long way to go which is typical for Jims wines. They age gently and gracefully. I`ll also do a longer decant before serving.

I have quite a few of these from ‘07, the Bien Nacido and Nielson also (at the height of the economic downturn Zachys closed out the 07’s for $15.00 I bought a ton-wish I’d bought more-I just saw a CT note where someone else took advantage of the same deal).
We drank a ton of his S&B Chardonnay from 09 they were beautiful.

Good move. Great wines that are still ageing beautifully.

Great note Blake, I love the S&B wines most of the ABC lineup…Do these age as well as their Isabelle and Alexander wines?

Hi Subu, IMHO, yes they age as well as the Isabelle and the Knox Alexander which are blends that usually include some S&B as opposed to this vineyard designate.

Thanks Blake, I have half a case of 05s tucked away…hoping they and I make it to 20+

Jim has remarked the 05s are going to hang around for a long time, so lets do the same and enjoy them down the line.