TN: 2004 Graham Porto Vintage Quinta dos Malvedos (Portugal, Douro, Porto)

2004 Graham Porto Vintage Quinta dos Malvedos - Portugal, Douro, Porto (1/18/2018)
Drank over 3 nights, this changed a few times. On Night one it was all cherry vanilla. Quite luscious, it was forward and fresh. Night two it deepened, with more tannins, and some bitter chocolate notes. The vanilla backed off as well. While not quite as obviously pleasurable, it seemed more like what a youngish Port should be. Tonight it was wide open again, the tannins still lurking, but not as prominent as on Night 2. The vanilla never came back to the fore, so it was more black cherry fruit driven, with integrated alcohol (not remotely spirity) and a long, persistent finish. Lovely Port that is a good value as well.

Posted from CellarTracker

I love that you got to see how a young VP develops over time and why snap shot tastings of these younglings aren’t the best. They can really change over several days, usually better off for it by day or three.

I fully intend to buy more. No sense in me buying VP at 51. Might as well buy single quinta or slightly older vintages. This will do just fine.

Good strategy and for Malvedos they tend to hold back most vintages for about a decade before releasing them. Nice when the producer does the aging for you!

I think 04 overall was a really good vintage and it will be interesting to see how they compare against the generally declared 03s as they get older. Personally I hope the 03s turn out better, because I have a lot of them, but I wish I owned more of this one and the other 04s too