TN: 2015 Serrette Cornas Henri

Really outstanding. Dark red. Tons of red Rhône fruit and great flavor. Also more than a good amount of acidity, the most acidity I’ve had in a 2015 Rhône other than a couple Cote roties. Also has major florality when you breath out for such a young wine. My grading is closer to tanzer where my score of 93+ is real. Most importantly Im pretty positive it will be great in 10 or 20 years.

Btw, last week I had the normal patou which had real promise but the most tannic 2015 Rhône I’ve had. I recommend the patou with time but it’s not even close to the Henri.

David

How was the oak? I think the Henri gets some new.

It’s not much at all but it’s slightly there. it’s hidden with 2015 Rhône fruit but I do notice it lightly but very light. No front end toast or ending vanilla.

That was my concern too, so I only bought the more rustic Patou.

Thanks for the note.

Robert, my experience with the normal patou was it is a wall of tannin. Almost like a barolo. I haven’t noticed that in any other 2015 Rhône. Underneath the tannin was very nice. But again each sip was kind of difficult to get to the really nice part. I think in 10 years it could be a winner. It would be great to hear if anyone else had this experience.

The 2015 Paris Geynale was similarly tannic. Not surprising from a Cornas in a larger-scaled vintage. My 2010 Cornas wines will not be touched for a very long time, with some minor exceptions. I have not had the Cuvee Henri, but if you read JLL’s notes on it, he suggests Henri is made with a more modern flair, including use of new oak, while Patou is intended to remain more traditional in style. The son has taken over from the father at this estate over the last several years, so perhaps leaving his imprimatur on the wines now. I do not have experience with this estate, by the way.

Interesting that the only Patou I had, from 2010, was quite light, virtually tannin-free, and quite fresh. Perhaps the style has changed?

I was introduced and liked serrette a lot with the 2013 patou. The 2013 patou was not over tannic and I loved it. What’s weird is the 2015 Henri wasn’t over tannic. Just the 2015 patou. But I definitely liked the 2015 patou more than many 2015 Rhône’s I’ve had so I don’t consider it a negative. Hopefully someone else will chime in with their notes to see what they think.