More Bitcoin talk - would you buy wine with Bitcoin?

We’ve got a longstanding thread on Bitcoin in Asylum, but I wonder if anyone here would be willing or interested in buying wine with Bitcoin, if any winery were to offer that as a purchase option.

I think the second part of your question is key - if any winery would accept it. I don’t own any, but have heard that the hard part is there’s limited options in which to spend it. I also don’t know how easy it is to cash out of the Bitcoin, once received.

Would be cool, but nope

Only if Rolland makes the wine.

Prediction: no winery will ever regularly accept payment in bitcoin.

That’s a bit short sighted, you think? If you said not in the near future, you may be right. But ever? Obviously, you don’t think bitcoin is here to stay.

I will go on record saying that I don’t think Bitcoin is here to stay in any serious way.

We’ll only know if it’s short sighted some time in the future if I turn out to be wrong. But, quite seriously, I don’t believe any non-government backed “currency” will be in widespread use any time in the near - or distant - future.

Won’t it take more electricity than I and all my family & friends will collectively consume in a year to transfer the fractional bitcoin from whomever to Ladd Cellars?

I’d only pay in Bitcoin if I were allowed to pick up my wines by helicopter.

I don’t see bitcoin as a legit currency based on the instability in its worth. It’s too risky for everyone involved to be taken serious as a currency imo.

I agree that the more relevant question is whether wineries and/or retailers should go through the hoops required to accept Bitcoin payments. The problem as I see it is that payments of this sort are not best suited for this type of transaction as the underlying is (1) volatile and (2) carries transaction costs regardless of whether you are using a 3rd party payment provider or not.

That said, I do not own any Bitcoin so it would make little difference to me if it were offered as a payment option at this stage.

Is it a bad or a good bitcoin leading indicator when two 20-something guy at the poker table are swapping crypto buying tips?

What would Joe Kennedy say?

I remember one in NZ and one in BC, but that was several years ago. We thought about it early in 2017 after I read one of the big boys(Gallo?) was thinking about accepting Bitcoin. I couldn’t convince my business partner at the time and we shelved the idea

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/01/new-zealand-winery-accepts-bitcoin/

I would use bitcoin to buy wine. It seems easier to use than it is to convert it into cash.

I would think it should be a possibility for those who would want to participate. I’m a crypto trader, so I’m supportive. I’m not sure on how the payment system would work other than a transfer into someone else’s BTC wallet based on market prices. But someone else more versed than me would be able to figure out the angles. I just Trade the currencies, I don’t purchase anything with them until I cash out.

USDT (Tether) would be better for this since it’s more pegged to the dollar. One could just trade their BTC for USDT real quick and make purchases, but that’s not possible yet.

I wonder if Acker Merrall Condit would take crypto-currency, to pay for auction wines. Perhaps not. Trustworthiness is important. newhere

Sure, you send me Bitcoin, I’ll be happy to try and buy wine with it.