First furlong in 22 flat!

Race for WOTY 2018 has begun in January, as it sometimes does for me. I like the stormy, cold, coastal wines I open wintertime and Saxum 2013 James Berry is the stuff dreams are made of. While the best young Saxum I have ever opened it is not going to convert AFWE so they can move onward. Wine displays all the Saxum great components effortlessly without any real heat and absolutely no liquory aspect at all. Enjoyed over two nights, from stems nowhere good enough for this beauty, it was the second evening where the Grenache began to come out and become more noticeable. Lots of drying but not off-putting tannin and a very long finish mark this as one to beat in 2018.

I had a year (2012?) where the 07 Bone Rock stood up from a February uncorking to win wire-to-wire and this could go the same way methinks. 2013 Saxum James Berry leaves that good kind of mark.
IMG_3698.JPG

Nice note, and I’m glad I bought 8 tickets on this thoroughbred.

Awesome note, Glenn! The components for this wine in 2013 was 45% Grenache, 29% Mourvedre, 18% Syrah and 8% Counoise, so makes sense that you noticed the grenache! Like you, I am a big fan of these blends, and over the years, I have consistently favored the ones that have the most grenache, so I am positive I am going to LOVE this. Thanks for sharing.

Nice to see it coming around, this was pretty unapproachable when originally released.

Has Justin ever made a bad wine ?

I’m guessing “no”. Maybe some that some folks don’t like, but no bad ones. [cheers.gif]

I have had Bookers that have struck me as too hot, but perhaps I had them too young. Paddy really needs time too for me, maybe that’s the PS. This bottle just kicks azz, so worth the hundo.

When was this wine released? And it is only a 2013, isn’t it? This really should be able to continue to evolve for many many many years, correct?