The Taittinger Comtes Thread

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
R@y.Tupp@+sch

#51 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch »

Big spread between London and the US for the offers I've received - $100 vs $135.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Warren Taranow »

Russ Williams wrote:What was the price?
$115. Hard to justify when the '06 can be found for about the same (slightly less), but I'm an expert at rationalizing my purchases.
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

Russ Williams

#53 Post by Russ Williams »

At $115 a big no thanks.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

“We've got warehouses of butter
We've got oceans of wine
We've got famine when we need it
Got designer crime
We've got Mercedes
We've got Porsche
Ferrari and Rolls Royce”

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Frank Murray III »

I sold all of mine off a week or so ago. Done with Comtes and the poor bottle shape, amongst a few other reasons.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM
2015 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières
2014 Laherte Frères Champagne BdB EB Les Grands Crayeres

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Frank Murray III wrote:I sold all of mine off a week or so ago. Done with Comtes and the poor bottle shape, amongst a few other reasons.
LOL, seriously? I am curious what the "other" reasons are. The bottle shape is kind of a pain, but I got some champagne racks to take care of that (Taittinger is not the only offender). I love the stuff.
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Russ Williams

#56 Post by Russ Williams »

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Frank Murray III wrote:I sold all of mine off a week or so ago. Done with Comtes and the poor bottle shape, amongst a few other reasons.
LOL, seriously? I am curious what the "other" reasons are. The bottle shape is kind of a pain, but I got some champagne racks to take care of that (Taittinger is not the only offender). I love the stuff.
I’ll take a wild guess...Frank has a strong preference for low to zero dosage bubbly.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

“We've got warehouses of butter
We've got oceans of wine
We've got famine when we need it
Got designer crime
We've got Mercedes
We've got Porsche
Ferrari and Rolls Royce”

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Neal.Mollen »

Everything being equal I do too, but everything is almost never equal, and I love this champagne. But I have drawn some pretty dogmatic lines too so I get it
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Frank Murray III »

In part, Russ is correct. My palate prefers the lower dosage wines, which mirrors my regular preferences now for food. I don't typically like sweet desserts, don't drink soda and really avoid anything that is sweet b/c I don't care for it. So, low to no dosage wines work for me and match what I enjoy. A couple recent Comtes bottles seemed a little too much lemon-lime soda in tone for me.

And, the other thing that is perhaps dogmatic and I accept that is I want to drink organic or bio farmed champagne. The recent trip really left a deep impact upon me and when I got back, I decided to sell off my Comtes. As I have said, I don't begrudge or judge those who like the big houses like Taitt but I will not buy them any longer. With the dozen or so producers from Champagne that I now continue to drink and support, they all fit my dogma. Taitt Comtes does not.
My best wines for 2020:
2014 Marie Courtin Champagne Efflorescence Extra Brut
2012 Minière F & R Champagne Influence Brut
2008 Rhys Skyline PN SCM
2015 Ulysse Collin Champagne Les Pierrières
2014 Laherte Frères Champagne BdB EB Les Grands Crayeres

Kindness matters. Dignity matters. Accountability matters. Respect matters. LEADERSHIP MATTERS!

Ron Slye
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Ron Slye »

Warren Taranow wrote:
Russ Williams wrote:What was the price?
$115. Hard to justify when the '06 can be found for about the same (slightly less), but I'm an expert at rationalizing my purchases.
I just saw the 07 about two weeks ago at Duty Free in the Frankfurt airport. If I remember correctly it was about US $130 (??).

p@ulbortin

#60 Post by p@ulbortin »

Had another stellar bottle of comtes 06 over the holiday. Easy to store.

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

Weird decision making by Taittinger to make 07 but not 09.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Jay Miller »

I’ve had some really good 2007s so I’m curious to try the Comtes. Unfortunately/fortunately I couldn’t find enough people willing to go in on a case.

Just as well probably from an inventory reduction standpoint.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Blake Brown »

Just had another bottle of the 06` CdC and it was the best yet; in fact, it kicked an 08` Cristal`s ass:

2006 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT- I`ve had many bottles of this wonderful bubbly and it seems that from recalling my past notes, each one gets better than those before it; that was certainly the case for this one that shined ever so brightly; it had the cherished toasty brioche character throughout along with amazing acidity, its hallmark creamy mousse and depth and complexity that places it above many other marque champagnes.[such as the 08` Cristal on this night]
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#64 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

OH MAN! I have had a number of bottles of this 2006, but this afternoon some friends were in from Seattle and I took a bottle to lunch at Solage to enjoy with them. They are just honing their Champagne palates, so it was fun...and great that this was probably my best of these.
The bartender's eyes opened wide - this was one great bottle. Details? None. Just enjoyed and, from memory, for whatever reason, this one was cooking.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: The Taittinger Comtes Thread

#65 Post by Chris Seiber »

I opened a 2006 a few days ago and it was excellent. As my wife noted, it walks a nice balance between the lean and the opulent styles. Great acid, energy, mineral, but also some depth and good fruit.

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Robert M yers »

Is it Still true that they won’t bottle 09-11? I thought 09-10 were decent enough vintages.

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Blake Brown »

Chris Seiber wrote: March 31st, 2019, 4:40 pm I opened a 2006 a few days ago and it was excellent. As my wife noted, it walks a nice balance between the lean and the opulent styles. Great acid, energy, mineral, but also some depth and good fruit.
This has been a consistent winner and as you experienced Chris, it just keeps on giving immense joy each time out. Love it that your wife is into it as well.
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#68 Post by Brad Baker »

Robert M yers wrote: March 31st, 2019, 5:55 pm Is it Still true that they won’t bottle 09-11? I thought 09-10 were decent enough vintages.
I have not asked in a while as to what will be released from 2009-2011, but they made/bottled Comtes BdB in 2011 and Comtes Rose in 2009.

The issue with 2009 in Champagne was the economy. Most of the cellars were full and vintage/prestige wines were not selling. The year was seen as vintage worthy, but for the larger producers a lot of wine ended up as reserves for future NV blends. A number of folks regretted this then and do even more so now as the vintage has developed far better than most initially predicted.

2010 is not a good vintage as mold was rampant. Through selection, decent wine could be made and the year is uniform in a mostly below-average way, but for prestige wine, most of the larger producers skipped this year as there wasn't enough quantity of high end grapes to make it worth their effort. Some specific spots did well, but on a whole, this is not a year to look for.

2011 was a year of picking too early IMO. A lot of the wines lacked ripeness, but when picked appropriately, 2011 is a good deal better than 2010. The biggest issue is the year is not uniform in quality so there are quite a few ups and downs. The other issue is that many people wrote 2011 off early as many wines (normally not the highest in quality producers/labels) showed a lot of green/under ripe notes. With time this has started to fade, but the year got a reputation for being horrible and some producers who bottled a prestige wine, just decided to not risk trying to market and sell it.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Chris Seiber »

Brad Baker wrote: April 1st, 2019, 7:59 am
2011 was a year of picking too early IMO. A lot of the wines lacked ripeness, but when picked appropriately, 2011 is a good deal better than 2010. The biggest issue is the year is not uniform in quality so there are quite a few ups and downs. The other issue is that many people wrote 2011 off early as many wines (normally not the highest in quality producers/labels) showed a lot of green/under ripe notes. With time this has started to fade, but the year got a reputation for being horrible and some producers who bottled a prestige wine, just decided to not risk trying to market and sell it.
Paging Frank Murray. This sounds right in your sweet spot, my friend. Lacking ripeness, green, underripe notes.

champagne.gif

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#70 Post by Howard Cooper »

Howard Cooper wrote: January 17th, 2018, 1:18 pm Last year, I had a wonderful 1990 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136256&p=2181882&hi ... n#p2181882 and then had a small amount of the 2006 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137123&p=2198033&hi ... r#p2198033 Seemed to me that the 2006 has a bright future.
This year I have had the 1996 twice. What a wow wine.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Warren Taranow »

I opened my first 2007 Taittinger Comtes tonight. It's another beautiful vintage for the Comtes, and a respectable successor to the phenomenal 2006. This is fresher and more precise than the '06, but less dense and viscous. Great flavor profile, with white pit fruit, lemon, honeysuckle. Taittinger nailed the 2006 vintage, and did a great job with the 2007, a vintage many houses didn't even declare.

CT - WST

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Howard Cooper »

Howard Cooper wrote: January 17th, 2018, 1:18 pm Last year, I had a wonderful 1990 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136256&p=2181882&hi ... n#p2181882 and then had a small amount of the 2006 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137123&p=2198033&hi ... r#p2198033 Seemed to me that the 2006 has a bright future.
This year, in addition to drinking more 2006 (and buying 2004, more 2006 and 2007), I have had the 1996 Blanc de Blanc twice and the Rose once. Great, great wines.
Howard

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Blake Brown »

Warren Taranow wrote: October 13th, 2019, 10:58 pm I opened my first 2007 Taittinger Comtes tonight. It's another beautiful vintage for the Comtes, and a respectable successor to the phenomenal 2006. This is fresher and more precise than the '06, but less dense and viscous. Great flavor profile, with white pit fruit, lemon, honeysuckle. Taittinger nailed the 2006 vintage, and did a great job with the 2007, a vintage many houses didn't even declare.
the ole +1 here Warren
Napolean Bonaparte

J. Rock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by J. Rock »

I keep seeing everyone mention '04, '06, and '07, but no one seems to drink any '05. What's so bad with the '05? I've never had Comtes, but looking to try it and trying to decide which to buy.
J o r d a n

WOTY 2020: 1982 Cakebread Cellars Sauvignon Blanc Late Harvest Rutherford Gold

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Blake Brown »

J. Rock wrote: October 14th, 2019, 8:48 am I keep seeing everyone mention '04, '06, and '07, but no one seems to drink any '05. What's so bad with the '05? I've never had Comtes, but looking to try it and trying to decide which to buy.
I've posted a few notes on the 05` and can easily say it is very good and more on the elegant side of things with a less push and more pull than say the ones you reference. The 06` just outshines them all and does so on a consistent basis.
Napolean Bonaparte

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng »

We opened a 06 the other day and it’s still drinking great!

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Warren Taranow »

Blake Brown wrote: October 14th, 2019, 8:52 am The 06` just outshines them all and does so on a consistent basis.
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote: October 14th, 2019, 9:01 am We opened a 06 the other day and it’s still drinking great!
I have a magnum on deck for a birthday party tonight. Lucky us!!!

Cheers,

Warren

CT - WST

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Warren Taranow »

I opened both an '04 and an '06 this week. More consistency than dissimilarity; the '04 is just starting to show some early signs of maturity. Both are viscous, with creamy lemon mousse, stone fruit and some autolytic notes. The 2006 was more boisterous, fruity and blustery, while the 2004, more elegant and possessing more savory notes. I'll have to open an '07 soon; it's been a while. I'm not sure when we'll be seeing the 2008's.
Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Brad Baker »

Warren,

Nice notes. I cannot recall a bad vintage of Comtes. The 1986s were top notch (at one point in time), the 1991 Rose was great at twenty years old, and even the 1994 came out pretty good all things considered. Comtes is an easy buy vintage after vintage especially for the price. In a different style and lower price point, Taittinger's Millesime has also been firing on all cylinders lately. Of course being around 1/2 Pinot Noir and 1/2 Chardonnay, it is fuller bodied and not as chiseled as the Comtes, but, over the last decade, it has gained a lot more elegance and finesse. The 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2013 are all extremely good wines.

Of the 2006 and 2004 Comtes, I love the open, extroverted personality of the 2006 and it is great to spend some time with, but the elegance, precision and class of the 2004 has my heart.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Warren Taranow »

Brad Baker wrote: July 26th, 2020, 4:16 pm Warren,

Nice notes. I cannot recall a bad vintage of Comtes. The 1986s were top notch (at one point in time), the 1991 Rose was great at twenty years old, and even the 1994 came out pretty good all things considered. Comtes is an easy buy vintage after vintage especially for the price. In a different style and lower price point, Taittinger's Millesime has also been firing on all cylinders lately. Of course being around 1/2 Pinot Noir and 1/2 Chardonnay, it is fuller bodied and not as chiseled as the Comtes, but, over the last decade, it has gained a lot more elegance and finesse. The 2008, 2009, 2012, and 2013 are all extremely good wines.

Of the 2006 and 2004 Comtes, I love the open, extroverted personality of the 2006 and it is great to spend some time with, but the elegance, precision and class of the 2004 has my heart.
Thanks Brad. What’s the farming like at Taittinger? Their website says “Green Certified”.
Cheers!
WT

CT - WST

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#81 Post by Howard Cooper »

Warren Taranow wrote: October 13th, 2019, 10:58 pm I opened my first 2007 Taittinger Comtes tonight. It's another beautiful vintage for the Comtes, and a respectable successor to the phenomenal 2006. This is fresher and more precise than the '06, but less dense and viscous. Great flavor profile, with white pit fruit, lemon, honeysuckle. Taittinger nailed the 2006 vintage, and did a great job with the 2007, a vintage many houses didn't even declare.
I have been told that 2007 is considered more successful for Chardonnay than for Pinot Noir and Meunier. That may be why Taittinger did a 2007 and others did not.
Howard

Brad Baker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Brad Baker »

Warren Taranow wrote: July 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Thanks Brad. What’s the farming like at Taittinger? Their website says “Green Certified”.
Cheers!
WT
Warren,

All in all, it is quite good and much improved since around 2005. Taittinger practices Sustainable Viticulure/Lutte Raisonée and are certified as Haute Valeur Environnementale. They work their soils, promote biodiversity, do not use herbicides, only use any chemical treatments as a last resort, and try to be as natural as possible. Some will question why not organic or biodynamic certification, but they like flexibility and don't want to go after a certification that may box them in. They also own 288 hectares which would makes any full estate organic or biodynamic certification a big challenge. Also, there are a number of elements that are not covered in organic or biodynamic viticulute (such as bio-diversity) that Taittinger strives for.
Brad Baker
The Champagne Warrior

Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#83 Post by Robert M yers »

Has anybody had an 02 Rose recently? I have a few and have never opened one, in fact I’ve never had their Rose at all.

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Warren Taranow »

Brad Baker wrote: July 26th, 2020, 4:51 pm
Warren Taranow wrote: July 26th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Cheers!
WT
Warren,

All in all, it is quite good and much improved since around 2005. Taittinger practices Sustainable Viticulure/Lutte Raisonée and are certified as Haute Valeur Environnementale. They work their soils, promote biodiversity, do not use herbicides, only use any chemical treatments as a last resort, and try to be as natural as possible. Some will question why not organic or biodynamic certification, but they like flexibility and don't want to go after a certification that may box them in. They also own 288 hectares which would makes any full estate organic or biodynamic certification a big challenge. Also, there are a number of elements that are not covered in organic or biodynamic viticulute (such as bio-diversity) that Taittinger strives for.
Thanks, that makes me more comfortable continuing my purchases! I try not to miss a Comte vintage (or a Krug Grand Cuvée or a Cristal or a Vilmart CdC or a PP Chetillons or a ...)

Warren

CT - WST

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Blake Brown »

Had the 07` BdB and also the Rose last night- extensive notes to follow under a separate thread as we drank a lot of wines that merit write up.

I've had a few other 07` BdBs and all have been very good, but not as great as all others in the 00s. The 07` Rose is fantastic.
Last edited by Blake Brown on July 27th, 2020, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Napolean Bonaparte

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#86 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events and recognition, but I meant to pull a Vilmart Grand Cellier last week with my Wednesday drinking buddy. Man, was THAT good for $60. We weren't geeky about it, just appreciative. As I threw away the bottle (or maybe before) I realized the bottle was a 2007 Comtes. That's why it was THAT good. Glad I have more.
Merrill

Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Warren Taranow »

Merrill Lindquist wrote: July 27th, 2020, 4:04 pm I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events and recognition, but I meant to pull a Vilmart Grand Cellier last week with my Wednesday drinking buddy. Man, was THAT good for $60. We weren't geeky about it, just appreciative. As I threw away the bottle (or maybe before) I realized the bottle was a 2007 Comtes. That's why it was THAT good. Glad I have more.
That's funny. Don't write up you're notes until you check your recycling bin!

Cheers,
Warren

CT - WST

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by alan weinberg »

Merrill Lindquist wrote: July 27th, 2020, 4:04 pm I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events and recognition, but I meant to pull a Vilmart Grand Cellier last week with my Wednesday drinking buddy. Man, was THAT good for $60. We weren't geeky about it, just appreciative. As I threw away the bottle (or maybe before) I realized the bottle was a 2007 Comtes. That's why it was THAT good. Glad I have more.
yeah, maybe trade a bottle for a pair of glasses! Those bottles are no way similar! Hahah

Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#89 Post by Merrill Lindquist »

alan weinberg wrote: July 27th, 2020, 8:44 pm
yeah, maybe trade a bottle for a pair of glasses! Those bottles are no way similar! Hahah
They are similar as in location in my Eurocave! I pulled it, handed it to my guest, and he opened it, poured, and put it in an opaque wine bucket. I never touched it nor saw it until much later.

I love Champagne but don't get geeky with descriptors and ratings...I get enough of that in my Cabernet business. champagne.gif
Merrill

David Kingsbury
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by David Kingsbury »

Has anyone had the 05 BdB recently? Have a lone bottle and wonder how it’s drinking. We’ve consumed and really enjoyed a few bottles of the 06. We visited
Taittinger May 2019, amazing chalk cellars! A fun tour.
newhere ITB

Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Blake Brown »

David Kingsbury wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:22 pm Has anyone had the 05 BdB recently? Have a lone bottle and wonder how it’s drinking. We’ve consumed and really enjoyed a few bottles of the 06. We visited
Taittinger May 2019, amazing chalk cellars! A fun tour.
Although mu notes are 2 years old, my feeling is they would be close to accurate now:

2005 TAITTINGER COMTES de CHAMPAGNE BLANC de BLANC BRUT- some of the same people and I just had the 06` a few days ago, so I chose this for an update for me and as a comparison for the others as Its been quite a few months since I tasted the last 05`; it was as I remembered it to be, really elegant with bright acidity and fresh, tangy citrus notes; its really the inferior sister to the 06`, but that’s not a negative; the biggest difference as I see it is the 06` has a much fuller and richer body and the signature notes of toasty brioche.
Napolean Bonaparte

Yao C

#92 Post by Yao C »

David Kingsbury wrote: July 29th, 2020, 7:22 pm Has anyone had the 05 BdB recently? Have a lone bottle and wonder how it’s drinking.
I opened a bottle a month ago. It's decently good but not in the top tier. My notes:

Has developed a distinct toastiness to go with a honeyed sweetness; there's also a bit of citrus that's more apparent after 24h open; on the whole light and easy and perhaps a little lacking in energy and interest; will hold the next bottle for 10 years and see if it develops some tertiary nuance; good minus
C h 0 o n 6

David Kingsbury
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by David Kingsbury »

Thank you Blake and Yao for the tasting notes. Sounds good if not great. Maybe that’s why I don’t see many notes on it.
newhere ITB

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Jay Miller »

David Kingsbury wrote: July 30th, 2020, 6:21 pm Thank you Blake and Yao for the tasting notes. Sounds good if not great. Maybe that’s why I don’t see many notes on it.
That was my impression when I tasted it on release. It was a very, very, good Champagne but not as great as other recent vintages of Comtes. I found it better than 2000 but not as good as 2002 or 2004 and those were still available for similar pricing. I'd probably buy it if it traded at a (more) substantial discount but that hasn't been the case.

I've been curious as to how it developed so nice to see the above notes.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Return to “Wine Talk”