TN: 2009 Forteto della Luja Loazzolo Vendemmia Tardiva (Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Loazzolo)

• 2009 Forteto della Luja Loazzolo Vendemmia Tardiva - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Loazzolo (1/5/2018)
    Cracking good late harvest Muscat wine. My first time with this producer (h/t Mario Roagna), though I hope not my last. In fact, after this wonderful experience, I need to taste their other wines as well. There’s a careful balance here between fruit and acidity that seems masterful to me. On the one hand, there’s the sweetness, and on the other, the beam of acidity. It’s kind of like trying to balance a skyscraper on a wine bottle, with the obvious difference that in the case of this VT wine, it works. Spicy, poached pears, caramel, stewed and baked apples, browned butter, etc. Enters medium-bodied with a an initial burst of sweetness, with the spiciness of the nose translating into a tanginess on the final. Slowly begins to very toward a dry finish - as if by magic, really. Some interesting roasted nuts, a little waxiness, and the occasional stray note of oxidation add further interest to this artful wine. 11,0% abv., should drink well for the coming decades (and, the best has yet to come), though fully enjoyable now as well. highly recommended

Posted from CellarTracker