TN: 2014 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso (Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC)

• 2014 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (1/13/2018)
    Wow, do I ever love this wine. Remove the (aggregate) cork, and this reveals wave after wave of soil, beautifully rich, deeply inflected soil. It takes a good 15 minutes in the glass for this to blow off, and what’s left is just stunning (again, just differently). Autumn woods, berry patch, tar-stained cranberry, fresh mushroom cap, citrus, lilac, etc. Medium-bodied, with immediate grip and presence on the palate, the finish sets off immediately into the distance. This seems to have it all: structure, balance, deep sense of place/grape, and character. Outstanding achievement, bravo! 14,0% abv., drink thru 2027+ highly recommended+

• update * night 2 was slightly better, night 3 was just astoundingly good.

Posted from CellarTracker

Can’t get enough of these

I have been drinking the 2015 over the past 3 nights- What a great wine- Not sure if its the volcanic soil or what but it is different and yet completely fantastic.

Interesting. I had the 2015 recently and thought it needed more time; simple on pop/pour but it improved with aeration becoming less candied and more minerally.

It is young, no doubt there, but for me ( I had not yet tried the wine in any vintage ) it was so different and had such a unique but lovely nose that it stirred up a-bit of excitement with me. I guess its about the context. [cheers.gif]

And to me, the 2014 had a candied profile when I tasted it, more so than prior vintages I had tasted. That, plus the fact that the crus have come down in price in my area, has led me to shift my focus to the single-vineyards. With that said, there’s no doubt the base bottling is a great bottle of wine for the price.

Great note! Great producer, has anyone tasted their 2016s yet?

I only discovered this winery last year. Big fan and believe the single vineyard wines offer exceptional value. I should purchase more this week!

Yes, I picked up a bottle when I grabbed my allocation of single vineyard 2015s this week, the 16 Rosso is awesome, in fact I couldnt believe just how good it was for the price and went back and bought a case for the cellar.
I think 2016 could be quite special on Etna

Marcus, I picked one to try as well. The wine is shaping up great. The tannins are well present, which one would expect in a young etna, but looking beyond that the structure and aromatic complexity is well in place. 2016 seems to be looking good all over Italy.

Subu, I left half a bottle in the fridge and tried it 24hrs later, wow it was great, I am not sure if a case is enough.

fwiw, here’s the 2018 GR tre bicchieri list for Sicily . The '15 Girolamo Russo 'A Rina should be widely available for $20-something:

I vini della Sicilia premiati con Tre Bicchieri
Astolfo 2015 - Assuli
Cerasuolo di Vittoria Giambattista Valli Paris 2015 - Feudi del Pisciotto
Contrada Sciaranuova 2015 - Passopisciaro
Etna Bianco 2016 - Planeta
Etna Bianco Alta Mora 2016 - Cusumano
Etna Bianco Fondo Filara '16 - Cantine Nicosia
Etna Rosso 2015 - Tornatore
Etna Rosso 'A Rina 2015 - Girolamo Russo
Etna Rosso V. Barbagalli 2014 - Pietradolce
Etna Rosso Zottorinoto Ris. 2013 - Cottanera
Faro 2015 - Le Casematte