Krugs, Dom, 14 1er cru, GC white and red Burgs, Sassaaia, SQN, Dal Forno, d`Yquem- 28 wines in all

Our wine dinner group usually holds it biggest event of the year, called the Millennium dinner, in December, but the local fires and related horrible issues led to deferring this until January.

Sixteen of us enjoyed a fabulous dinner in the Cork Room of the restaurant bouchon. This room is dedicated to featuring wine events and has been the perfect venue for many of our Millennium dinners.

Everyone steps up a notch from an already unbelievable high level of wines we share biweekly thoughout the year. Here`s what this one had:

2003 KRUG VINTAGE BRUT- ID# 214029; although 03` was a hot vintage, Krug declared this vintage naming it “Vivacité Solaire” (Vivacious Radiance) as they were surprised to find really good fruit with freshness, balance, expressiveness, vivacity and finesse; I acquired 3 bottles with a little trepidation although I have such great respect for the house and trusted this had to be worth the purchase and I was not disappointed with this first bottle; following its gold yellow colour came fresh apple and citrus fruit joined by slightly toasted brioche, mild hints of caramel and almonds; it certainly had finesse and charm and was on the more lean side of vintage Krug; the acidity was also on the lighter side; 46% Pinot Noir, 29% Chardonnay, 25% Pinot Meunier.

MV KRUG GRAND CUVEE 162eme EDITION BRUT- ID# 414082I; I just had to throw this in to compliment the 03 and I was also curious to see where this edition is not having had it previously; glad I did as it stood head and shoulders above the 03 with lots more of everything; it was full bodied and full of rich and luscious flavours and yet had that MV Krug grace and charm; with bright acidity, it had generous amounts of toasted brioche, stone fruit and citrus with ginger and spice accents, all in perfect balance; received its cork in the winter of 2014, made from a blend of 142 wines representing 11 different years with 1990 the oldest and 2006 the youngest.

2004 DOM PERIGNON “SPECIAL CUVEE” BRUT- According to the one who brought it, this bottle was a special release; the neck foil was silver, not the traditional black for regular Doms; the label was not helpful in identifying what it was nor was any research I made; Im pretty sure it was not a part of the extended Plentitude series as I`ve seen it noted on the label and shown as P2 [P3 requires at least 25 years of age]; nonetheless, this was very elegant and light in weight and flavours with mild acidity; citrus especially lemon and grapefruit notes along with a mild spicy component highlighted the taste profile; in time, layers unfolded and additional nuances were revealed; overall it was enjoyable, interesting and intriguing.

NV BILLECART-SALMON BRUT ROSE MAGNUM- this consistently lovely rose champagne worked perfectly for the transition into the next lineup of wines; it was redolent of spicy fresh strawberry, red raspberry and red cherry fruit served up in a medium body along with a sustained long fruity finish.

We now moved into 1er Cru and Grand Cru white Burgundy heaven with numerous offerings from the tribe being passed around the table as singles, pairs and flights of like and kind:

2007 DOMAINE des COMTES LAFON CLOS de la BARRE MEURSAULT- one of my fav bottlings over many years from this producer, this bottle shined as bright as many before it; spicy, mineral infused lemon, lime, pear and white peach was carried in a distinct texture all the way to the back end for maximum tactile and taste sensory pleasure.

2010 LOUIS JADOT MONTRACHET GRAND CRU- minerality dominated this wine from the nose through the tail after an initial sulphur blow off; flint and smoke gave an assist to the nice lemon zest, pear and apple notes, but the minerals persisted and almost overwhelmed my feeble palate.

2006 LOUIS JADOT MONTRACHET GRAND CRU- fortunately, the minerals in this wine were much more integrated and in balance to support the mild toasty pear, apple and citrus notes which were enhanced with a hit of chalk, flint and steel.

2014 JEAN-NOEL GAGNARD BLANCHOTS DESSUS CHASSAGNE-MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- as a friend stated, this vineyard is about 8 feet away from Montrachet and the quality is close to its big brother; this had a lot of goodness going for it with nice acidity, liquorice, anise and lemon, citrus flavours abounding; it had a so pleasing viscous texture that served to lengthen the satisfying finish.

2013 PIERRE-YVES COLIN-MOREY LES CHENEVOTTES CHASSAGNE-MONTRACHET 1ER CRU- the nose was very skunky; minerals,
steel and flint dominated the citrus, mostly lemon flavours; the notes were pretty blatant and with time, seemed to mellow out just a bit.

2013 PIERRE-YVES COLIN-MOREY EN REMILLY CUVEE NICHOLAS et MATHIS ST. AUBIN 1ER CRU- creamy lemon lime carried in a creamy texture placated the palate and all sensory receptors graciously; this was nicely balanced, full bodied and has significant acidity to allow for this to age well for a long time and yes, it had a lot of minerals, flint and steel.

2013 PIERRE-YVES COLIN-MOREY MEURSAULT-CHARMES 1ER CRU- this had spicy, mineral laced citrus with orange peel, lemon and lime being most prevalent; it`s easy on the palate with a medium weighted body, has a touch of saline coming in late and finished nicely with all of its essences finishing on an uptick.

2014 DOMAINE FRANCOIS RAVENEAU VALMUR CHABLIS GRAND CRU- from one of Chablis`s finest; yellow gold colour; this winner had it all with rich, concentrated flavours including honey dew, lemon, orange and pear fruit with the minerality in the background; it is full bodied, long and suggestive of the thought “what will this be like upon maturity?”

2014 DOMAINE MOREY-COFFINET MEURSAULT-PERRIERES 1ER CRU- splendid wine here providing a taste treat and exhibiting character and charm; again, I got nicely integrated minerals supporting the pear, apple and lemon notes in a medium weighted body; loved the mouthfeel as well.

2011 CHATEAU RIEUSSEC SAUTERNES- 750 ml; this came in to the mix to pair with the foie gras course some ordered and obviously, it fit well; I got honeyed, ginger, almond pear, pineapple and papaya fruit served up in a creamy texture; 95% Semillon, 2% Sauvignon Blanc and 3% Muscadelle.

We now moved into the 1er Cru and Grand Cru red Burgundy with great expectations and a glowing aura already surrounding each of us:

2009 DOMAINE DUJAC CHARMES-CHAMBERTIN GRAND CRU- great wine here; the strong invitation issued by the aromatics were right on as this had a lot going on; it had luscious ripe fruit, wonderful mouthfeel, complexity and depth, balance and length; is there anything else we need for total pleasure in a wine?

2001 DOMAINE DUJAC CHARMES-CHAMBERTIN- badly oxidized.

2011 FREDERIC ESMONIN RUCHOTTES-CHAMBERTIN GRAND CRU- another big time winner; this had wondrous spicy red and black fruit served up in a velvety texture; it was full bodied, but had so much finesse; layers upon layers kept unfolding and the wine went from fantastic to stellar. I understood the wine was purchased for around $100 and if so, this is a GREAT QPR!.

2008 DOMAINE les LAMBRAYS CLOS du LAMBRAYS GRAND CRU- with some fabulous Burgs ahead of this, I was about to say it can’t get any better than this and it just did from one of my fav producers of yesteryear; spicy red raspberry gives way later on to black cherry in a nice transitional way; it was soft and easy on the palate and had a noticeable and easily tolerable tannic /steminess that I actually loved; the wine expended on the palate within a few minutes and held on for a long finish.

2010 DOMAINE de la ROMANEE CONTI ECHEZEAUX GRAND CRU- OK, so Im in red Burg heaven already and this come next; Im salivating and judiciously pouring a small taste knowing that I will sip ever so slightly to the last drop; the nose suggested an aura of elegance which is what followed as the taste profile had fresh rose petals, red strawberry, raspberry and red cherry with some dark fruit arriving by mid palate; spice and even a hint of pepper is just evident as well; the silky texture was the perfect medium to carry all of the treasures to the back end; even in its infancy, this is outstanding. Subjective? Probably. Objective? I tried just a little to be.

Moving on to other delights:

1985 TENUTA SAN GUIDO SASSICAIA BOLGHERI- 85 % Cabernet Sauvignon 15 % Cabernet Franc; about 60% Yugoslavian oak casks and 40% Tronçais casks were used for the ageing, with a smaller percentage of Allier; 65% of the wood was new while the remaining 35% had been used once or twice before; the wine remained in casks for 22 months because of its elevated polyphenolic content, although new wood was also employed; the nose was redolent of mint, eucalyptus, liquorice and blue and black fruit notes which continued on and was joined by distinctive plum, blueberry and black currant; it had a soft, silky texture, a long completely satisfying finish and a smile producing after effect; this was a good as any Sassicais Ive had an even better than other great 85s.

1998 LA RIOJA ALTA GRAN RESERVA 904 RIOJA MAGNUM- 90% Tempranillo and 10% Graciano aged in American cask for 4 years; this was delicious with mint, liquorice, clove, tobacco and wood spice accents to the black currant, plum and raison fruit; full bodied, deeply complex and great feel.

1998 CHATEAU de la NEGLEY CLOS des TRUFFIERS COTEAUX de LANGUEDOC MAGNUM- 80% Syrah, 20% Grenache; the serious dark, inky colour is only the tip of the iceberg with this intense, heavily extracted, full bodied wine; youthful exuberance is contained in this large bottle format as it is still evolving toward maturity requiring another decade or 3; the robust sweet oaky black fruit expands and envelopes throughout; I`m thinking this is a new world wine from an old world wine region.

2006 JAFFURS UPSLOPE SYRAH- 15.8% abv; the pinnacle of this winery`s fabulous line of Syrah is captured in this bottling which is sourced from the best of their best vineyard designates; with many years to go before hitting its apex, this showed beautifully on this night; smoke, pepper, spice and violets inundate the blueberry and blackberry fruit; it is full bodied, layered and long, thankfully.

2012 SINE QUA NON STOCK [CENTRAL COAST SYRAH BLEND]- 15.3% abv; 84% Syrah, 7% Grenache, 6% Petit Sirah, 2% Viognier 1% and Mourvedre; 32% whole clusters; 21 months in French oak, 52% new; vineyard sources are 47% Eleven Confessions, 27% Cumulus, 17% Third Twin and 9% White Hawk; I heard “wicked” used to describe the colour and have to use it here as that was so true; this big boy has super ripe dark fruit with lots of pepper and spice accents; actually, it might better be described as pepper and spice with accents of dark fruit; it seemed hot all the way through even in the nose and that led me to check the label for the abv.; it`s understated by a point or 3; in a word, this wine is BIG.

After doing an extensive mouthwash, I moved on:

1986 CHATEAU CLERC-MILON PAUILLAC- I have a fond place in my heart for this chateau as Ive found this wine to hit my palate in ways that have been reserved for Latour, Lafite and Mouton; it was the 85 that really made an impression over the 82 and other great vintages; its been about 20 years since last visiting the 86`, so it was a treat to re-explore it with more maturity; it gave what I had hoped with delicious mint chocolate and cedar laced black currant, plum and blackberry fruit that seemed vibrantly youthful; even the colour was unadulterated, being a dark purple.

2008 DAL FORNO ROMANO AMARONE della VALPOLICELLA- 17% abv; 60% Corvina, 20% Rondinella, 10% Oseleta, 10% Croatina; OMG, this is so serious and forward with tons of energy and pizzaz; it`s loaded with concentrated dark chocolate accents to the blueberry, black currant and blackberry; one can expand their life expectancy to re-visit this when it reaches maturity.

We wound this grand evening up with 2 dessert wines:

1985 AUSTIN CELLARS BOTRYTIS SAUVIGNON BLANC- 375 ml; from a producer with an interesting history that I will not get into, this brought back memories from the 80s when Tony Austin was making wine in Santa Barbara County; this in a nut shell was red cherry nectar.

2001 CHATEAU dYQUEM SAUTERNES- 750 ml; 80% Semillon, 20% Sauvignon Blanc; our group has been blessed to drink dYquem regularly throughout the years as many have bought and stored this for eons; weve had this vintage numerous times and all have been spectacular including this one; it had a light yellow gold hue and so inviting aromatics of floral and tropical notes along with a suggestion of some honeyed stone fruit; true to the nose, the taste profile is loaded and layered with pleasurable vanilla and honeyed pineapple, lemon zest, peach and apricot; a hallmark is its bright acidity and creamy rich full bodied texture. Wow!

Another fantabulous Millennium dinner and the good part is we get to do it again THIS year assuming no local catastrophes delay the inevitable. We shall carry on as our group holds up to the challenge that “someone`s got to do it”.

Cheers,
Blake
IMG_1480.jpg
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1484.jpg
IMG_1486.jpg

more pics:
IMG_1500.jpg
IMG_1504.jpg
IMG_1507.jpg
IMG_1508.jpg
IMG_1511.jpg
IMG_1510.jpg

more pics:
IMG_1487.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg
IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1491.jpg

more pics:
IMG_1499.jpg
IMG_1494.jpg
IMG_1527.jpg
IMG_1524.jpg
IMG_1495.jpg
IMG_1522.jpg
IMG_1518.jpg

and more:
fullsizeoutput_199d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_19a4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_199c.jpeg
IMG_1528.jpg

Very, very nice!

That was kind of my thought too Mark.

Yes, well done!!

Wonderful eclectic mix of wines. The notes are much appreciated.

Did you find the Upslope to be mature, needs more time, peak?

I am curious, which Krug did you prefer (if you had to pick one).

Thanks Loren.

The Upslope was still very young although giving generously now. My best guess is that it will peak in 8-10 years or longer. Craig had initially thought it would be peaking at age 10 or so.

I preferred the 162eme much more. It was more complex, more expressive, had more weight and was really good. The 03` was good, but not like most vintage Krug. I liked them both. I might have made a mistake by bringing both. Either would have shown well on their own.

Great notes and pics Blake!

here’s my take on the night . . .

it’s been a rough couple of months in Santa Barbara and our group gathered for our annual end of the year bash which was rescheduled several times due to the fires, and then the mudslides; I took the train as the only freeway into town remains closed to this day; all I can say is that the wait and the effort were worth it . . .

sparklers . . .
2003 Krug: yeasty, youthful, and lively; a pretty good way to start the night; this will be hard to top, oh wait . . .
MV Krug Grand Cuvee 162eme Edition Brut: wow, really special wine; gun flint, persistent minerality, strong powerful presence of lemon preserves that goes on and on; my favorite sparkler
2004 Dom Perignon Millesime Altum Villare: a Sprite-like lemon-lime profile, however, chalky and bone dry; preferred both Krugs
NV Billecart-Salmon Brut Rose (Magnum): pleasant enough, but after the previous sparklers, I didn’t spend much time with it

whites . . .
2010 Jadot Montrachet: unbelievably reduced; set aside for later; with time, begins to open up revealing a saline essence of sea foam, followed by ginger spice, and finishing with a long tart lemon streak; all the pieces are there, just needs time and it will be outstanding; try not to touch this for at least another five years
2006 Jadot Montrachet: unctuous with burnt embers and charred pineapple at the forefront; sweet fruit and tart acidity; almost never ending finish; really enjoyed this

2007 Domaine des Comtes Lafon Meursault “Clos de la Barre”: reticent nose; restrained and tart on the palate; flat affect; unfortunately underwhelming for me; others liked it much more than I did
2014 Domaine Jean-Noël Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet “Blanchots Dessus”: this didn’t work for me; found it sweet and simple; an almost root-beer-ish quality; others liked it much more than I did

2013 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Les Chenevottes: rich, layered, and complex; loved the finish
2013 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin En Remilly Cuvée Nicholas et Mathis: wow, had this at least three times before and each of those bottles were great, however, this bottle took it up a notch; spectacularly expressive fruit with a hint of toasted marshmallow on the finish which takes it over the top in top in the best possible way; would be QPR of the night if not for the 2011 Rieussec
2013 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Meursault Charmes: silky, smooth, and lithe; the most elegant of the three PYCM’s on this night and without any of the gunflint the others possessed; a completely different expression of Chardonnay; loved this

2014 Raveneau Chablis Valmur: double wow, luxurious palate coating ecstasy; simply brilliant; my white WOTN; probably should tell you not to touch these for a while, but that would be a joke
2014 Morey-Coffinet Meursault-Perrieres: explosive fruit balanced perfectly with bracing acidity; outstanding

intermission . . .
2011 Rieussec: served with foie gras: this is such a wonderful Sauternes; pineapple spun sugar with a touch of toast and minerality on the finish; nearly perfect weight; feels so light on the palate yet packs an incredible punch of explosive flavor; QPR of the night, just edging out the 2013 PYCM St. Aubin En Remilly Cuvée Nicholas et Mathis

reds . . .
2001 Dujac Charmes-Chambertin: funky, stewed, off, dirty dishwater, extremely unpleasant; otoh . . .
2009 Dujac Charmes-Chambertin: deep dark concentrated red fruit; clean and precise with nice tart acidity to balance the dense red fruit; do not touch for a while

2008 Lambrays Clos Des Lambrays: concentrated deep rich dark cherry elixir endowed with Old World charm and character
2011 Frederic Esmonin Ruchottes-Chambertin: very nice; delicate and feminine with lovely floral essence, especially blue flowers, to enhance the red fruit; very pleasant, however, just a bit thin on the mid-palate, especially following the ’09 Dujac and the Lambrays

1985 Sassicaia: ‘shape shifter’ might be an apt way to describe this nearly mythical wine; starts with a powerful nose of eucalyptus, then licorice, then cherry compote\cherries jubilee which then morphs into a more traditional Bdx-like nose; on the palate, the first thing you notice is the towering structure, then the peppery dark fruit which leads to cherry syrup which leads to violet pastille, ending with a long purple floral finish; dark and lively at the same time; so young, powerful, and impeccably balanced, the life-force runs deep; a more masculine and forward profile than the previous bottle we had of this a little over a year ago; my WOTN and of the year

how do you follow ’85 Sassicaia? with DRC of course!
2010 DRC Echezeaux: wow, an intensely floral nose explodes from the glass; ethereal; red candied fruit, violets, and blue flowers waif from the palate and permeate the senses; cinnamon and red spices linger in no particular hurry to move on; like a supermodel, this makes being beautiful seem effortless

1998 La Rioja Alta, Cosecha Gran Reserva Rioja ‘904’ (Magnum): still so frickin young! coconut, dill, and eucalyptus at the forefront, this still needs time to integrate; otoh . . .
1998 Chateau de la Negley ‘Clos des Turffiers’, Landuedoc (Magnum): wow, this beauty if firing on all cylinders; silky smooth blueberries, blackberries and sparkling minerality are perfectly integrated; layers of flavor continue to reveal nuance in the waxy dark purple fruit as iron, iodine, and violets all take their place at the table; just delicious and unbelievably youthful; have enjoyed many bottles of this over the years and this stands near the top of the heap

2006 Jaffurs Upslope: rich, unctuous, concentrated black fruit; from the blackness emerges a nose of olive tapenade and a palate replete with smoke, tar, and soy, with a saline finish; I would give this SB beauty time to really open up
2012 Sine Qua Non Stock: despite its immense palate presence and heft, still light on its feet, balance, and never over the top; rich layers of dark purple fruit, violets, dark cherries and dark red raspberries; a wonderful life-force and mineral streak runs through it;

how do you get much heavier than the Upslope and the SQN? well . . .
2008 Dal Forno Amarone: even after all these incredible wines, my eyes still roll back in my head as this luxurious silky smooth black masterpiece slides down my throat; magnificent, with dark cherries, bitters, herbs, and dark chocolate
1986 Clerc-Milon Pauillac: starts with a nose that takes me to the sea with the smell of brine, followed by a palate that transports me to the farm; saddle leather, tart cherry skins, and sweet Bing cherries

dessert . . .
2001 Y’quem (750ml): the proper way to finish this perfect night; nose of iodine and white flowers followed by perfectly balanced rich sweet juicy fruit and lively acidity; the thing that sets this apart is the impeccable balance and palate presence; been fortunate enough to have had this at least a dozen times over the years and it just keeps getting better and better; simply incredible
1985 Austin Cellars Botrytis Sauvignon Blanc: did not try; what’s the point after the ’01 Y’quem?

it was an epic night and the camaraderie, friendship and joy of being together after these rough times far exceeded the quality of the wine; I remain forever grateful to have such friends

cheers [cheers.gif]

Great notes as always Henry. For once, we actually tasted all of the same wines without missing one as they get passed left, right and across all night long. I think that is a record for me as I usually miss at least one. Love the use of some of your descriptors especially the more recent and familiar local “burnt embers and charred”.

When we voted for WOTN, I had the NV Krug 162 eme, 09 Dujac, 08 Lambrays, 10 DRC, 85 Sassicaia and the 01 dYquem in my top list. Pressed to make a decision, I went with the Krug because I had just revised the last drop at the end, but in retrospect, the Sassicaia was truly on a pedestal by itself and I belatedly retract my vote in favour of this wondrous wine. Like you, it is already a candidate for wOTY in 2018.

Nice wines Blake. That '85 Sass is one of the greatest wines I’ve ever had.

What a great lineup. I assume the food matched this killer grouping.

After a few days of retrospecting, I`m thinking the same thing Jeremy.

The food was great. We were offered 3 choices for each of 4 courses and I left the menu at the table or I would have included it in the writeup. Since all the wines were lined up on a side table, everyone could see what was coming and make their own choice in pairing the wines with each selection.

After inquiring about the 04 special Dom from Brad Baker and some online research, heres a little more insight:

Research: "The latest high-profile fashion collaboration from Dom Perignon sees the legendary Champagne house pair up with one of America’s most celebrated and flamboyant artists – Jeff Koons.

Following his renowned work with the likes of Lady Gaga and BMW, Koons was asked to create an amazing balloon sculpture, especially for Dom Perignon named “Balloon Venus”. This latest piece of work is shown on the packaging of this limited edition release. Highly collectable – and available instore for a short time only – this latest offering displays all of the balance and refinement that marks the 2004 harvest as being one of the best of recent times for Dom Perignon."

From Brad: "From the picture, my guess would be that it is the Jeff Koons ‘Creator Edition’ of the 2004 DP, where a special label and box was designed by DP and Jeff Koons for the 2004 DP. Since 2002, DP has done one main 'Creator Edition of each release, but sometimes you can find multiple ‘Creator Editions’ of a vintage. The wine is the same, just the label and box are different. It often sells for $10 more than the regular label.

I can’t be sure that your bottle is the Jeff Koons Creator Edition without seeing the foil near the top, but that is my best guess. The foil near the top of the bottle would have been a shade of gold [which I`m thinking was what we had, not silver] and the main label would be a mix of gold/silver on black.

DP will occasionally do other releases too in a vintage. The 2002 came in a white foil and white labeled bottle for weddings. They also have glowing labels and will do other things, but these all are the same wine with normal disgorgements. Just different packaging. DP will claim it is a limited edition and it is compared to the normal label versions, but they still make 100,000s of them."

So, we had the regular 04` with a different label presentation from an artistic labeled box if I have this correct.
fullsizeoutput_1991.jpeg

Inspired by Blake’s tasting note on the 2014 Morey-Coffinet, I managed to source two of Chassagne-Montrachet. Blake, I can only say that your observations around precision, balance and persistence were in good force here as well. I am particular drawn to the expansive and very lengthy finish, but it is a pleasure in every respect. Notes of taut pear and citrus, some Burgundian popcorn already showing, and a clean acid backbone to provide some impressive body for what is a lighter weight wine in all other respects. Loved it.

Jonathan

Good move Jonathan in purchasing some. I bought a lot of 15 which are great across the board and now the 16s are becoming available. I do not know where you bought yours, but you should know there is a local source from my friend, Mike Trupiano.
Industry Wine Merchant
6489 Calle Real, Suite E
Goleta 93117
(805) 845-4287