TN: 2015 Failla Chardonnay Olivet Vineyard

2015 Failla Chardonnay Olivet Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (1/15/2018)
This is delicious Chardonnay. A great match with my sous vide scallops with garam masala that was elevating for both the wine and the food. Fresh quince and pear fruit with a squeeze of lemon was accented by subtly spicy oak, and finished with a crisp bite of acidity. It actually reminded me a bit of the Ramey Chards, and that is high praise. Lovely wine for now and the next few years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice. Although I have always heard great things, I’ve yet to taste a Failla wine. Now that Ehren has partnered with my friend Tim, maybe I’ll find the chance to taste.

Jason

So far I like their Chardonnay and Syrah more than their Pinot. There is a bit too much cherry cola in some of the Pinots for my taste.

Well now they are going to get pinot noir from an area that can actually grow pinot noir. [wow.gif] And Chardonnay for that matter.

Jason

We’ll see.

I am no fan of Seven Springs, which they use now.

Those are fighting words [wow.gif] What have you had from 7 Springs? It was a monopole for a long time. I have never had an Evening Land wine so I can’t weigh in on those. And my understanding is that the vineyard was expanded so I have no idea of what it is today. But if your 7 Springs was not pre 2000 … you might want to withhold judgment as that is when the divorce kicked in and the Vineyard was divided.

I wonder what other vineyards they will be sourcing. I know Zenith which is also Eola Amity and possibly not to your liking.
I assume they will get Justice which is Eola Amity but I think it is a lot of 777 clone and shows a little different. Hopefully they will get some fruit from the Ribbon Ridge AVA.

Jason

I have had a number of St. Innocent bottlings, as well as Evening Land. It’s largely the Evening Land wines that I do not like.

Interesting. When Evening Land rolled into town, they kicked out all the producers that made the Vineyard famous. I’m sure there is a learning curve and they could not follow anyone else. I think there has been more changes at Evening Land and obviously they are no longer a monopole.

I would like to try Walter Scott’s 7 Springs. They have a lot of history with the vineyard.

St Innocent turned down the offer to take some fruit.

Jason