TN: 2000 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre (France, Alsace)

• 2000 Trimbach Gewurztraminer Cuvée des Seigneurs de Ribeaupierre - France, Alsace (1/14/2018)
    Pop and pour and follow for 2+ hours. Honey and lychees and spice. Incredible intense nose and matching palate. The acidity is a bit light and would be better with more for balance, but that would force an “outstanding” 95+ situation. Finish is very long. Interesting that this is a bit reminiscent of an Ygrec mixed with a Gewurtz. I can’t pinpoint what makes it so, but it’s there. Finish is very long. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2000 was a rich/lower acid vintage, but I like that in Gewurztraminer. It’s a luscious grape. Trimbach routinely manages to keep it from becoming a caricature.

I agree about Trimbach. His wines always seem leaner than, let’s say, Zind Humbrecht. It is a difficult balancing act. I like the flavor intensity and spiciness of the Gewurztraminer but it needs to be balanced by acidity. I knew nothing about the 2000 vintage and I suppose the “perfect” presentation would have had more acidity, but this was still quite pleasant.

If you see the 2008 available, grab some. It is gorgeous, and has some of that extra acidity.