Perfect wines

Does anyone know how many (few, really) 20 point wines Jancis Robinson has scored, either number or % age. (Im doing a write up for a Toronto Winetasters tasting with 2001 d’Yquem which she gave 20 pts to in 2015). Ill be sending a note across the pond but thought I might get a quicker answer here.

That led to a secondary question, out of curiosity, as to which critics give the highest % of perfect scores. I’m guessing Mr Suckling, but after that … Of course its a question with no scientific validity without controlling for the exposure, but maybe a good talking point anyway.

Those would be great stats to have!

I found this interesting article along with some neat graphs. Doesn’t fully answer your question but interesting nonetheless. The Global Wine Score data distribution | by The Global Wine Score | The Global Wine Score (GWS) | Medium

For a huge number of wines, Jancis scores from 15.5-17, basically a 4 grade scale:

15.5 below average (~88?)
16 slightly below average to average (~89?)
16.5 slightly above average to average (~90?)
17 above average (~91?)

Below 15.5 is substandard (<88?)
Above 17 is outstanding (>91?)

This chart is on purple pages. It doesnt of course answer my current question. Also my subjective impression is that a JR 17 point wine is better than a Parker 80, but I haven’t tested that. The other article cited here equates JR 17,5 to Parker 95 which makes more sense to me.
https://www.jancisrobinson.com/files/pdfs/CT_score_equivalents.pdf

I’m still hunting for some numbers on ‘perfect’ wines specifically.

http://www.bordoverview.com/?q=Jancis-Robinson

U might be able to find a few here…u can toggle btwn right and left bank…her notes r listed under her intitals…u can sort each row

Oops. I didn’t check that post before submitting. It made no sense! I’ve corrected it now.

That is definitely true. Jancis has given 17/17.5 scores and waxed rhapsodic about the greatness of the subject wine. See the link below for a wine where she scored it 18, noting that such a score was a real rarity for her, and had nothing but effusive praise.

Am I missing the vintage of that Ramey syrah that Robinson liked, or did she omit that?

I’ve had a response from Tamlyn - the percentage of 20 Pt wines is 0.09%
That answers my question for the flyer I’m doing. From a more general perspective the charts in the earlier link here give a good idea of how to “map” the different critics.
I will follow up with Tamlyn about the JR RP mapping on the page on their website (17=80) which seems wrong.

And of course now to get the same stat for other critics.

See the link in my post directly above yours.