Taylor Vintage Port - 1977 or 1983 - which to open?

I have one of each of these. Which should I open before the other? Thanks!

1983 by far.

1980 and 1983 were not great years for Taylor’s. It’s far more advanced than the 1977.

What Andy said, though if you’re looking to open the better wine, it’s not like the '77 is too young at this point.

Was going to say ‘83 and not from specific experience but yeah, the vintage is ready now vs ‘77s.

Thanks! Not looking to open the better one, looking to open the one that will benefit least from further aging, so it sounds like the '83 it is. Cheers!

Even today, with decanting, 80 is still a bit hot/spirity

Have tasted both recently and I concur with everyone else. Try the 83. It is the most developed wine and will not improve with aging.

1980 Fonseca VP to this day remains the only non-damaged Fonseca VP I’ve ever poured down the drain. Gotta be the worst declared vintage from that house ever. 1980 Taylor’s is better but, at best, low-middle quality.

With the exception of the 1985 Fonseca and a middle of the road 1985 Taylor’s, The Fladgate Partnership struggled to make good VP during the early to mid 1980’s. They Symington Family Estates did outstanding, however.

I’ll chime in to agree that the '83 is not of the caliber of the '77 by a long shot, so you’ll want to open the '83 first. If you open the '77 at this point, give it at least 8 hours in the decanter before serving it.